Portfolio/initiatives shows different results for progress and sum estimates

AsmitaD April 18, 2016

Expectation is same number, refer attachment

Refer - Hotel Search USG

Progress shows 48 points and sum estimates shows 24 points.

Need help ASAP

4 answers

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2016

Hey @Asmita Dutta, in live plans, how is the filter for completed items set? In the filter bar, under "More" there is an option for "Completion date". The progress bars sum up everything starting from that date, per default it only loads everything that is open and including the currently active sprint (when connected to a board). Set the filter for example to "Last quarter" to sum up progress made in the last quarter. I still think that would be the better path to pursue. 

In standard plans, the estimate shows whatever is remaining. The originally planned is set only with explicit plan updates from the time onwards the issues get first imported, so if you imported the issue at the time when there was already progress made (e.g. 24 remaining), it is keeping this as the reference point, so this is really mostly helpful for the cases where you start out from zero in Portfolio rather than plugging it in half way through. Hopefully live plans work once you set the filtering option by completion date. 

0 votes
AsmitaD April 19, 2016

@Martin Suntinger - Live plan didn't work for me - showing all incorrect number - refer image.

Issue 1 - live plan.png

I imported all issues again but see wrong progress, Open issues considered are wrong - refer attached image 

issue.png

I verified with epic report - which shows correct data - refer image.

Epic report.png

I am working on this tool from last one week and have already recommended it to client. I have call tomorrow, I will have to discard the idea of going with this tool in case this issue does not get resolved. The primary reason I am going for this tool is progress.

Let me know ASAP so that we can take the decision.

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2016

Hi Asmita, could you verify if all the child stories you see under the epic in JIRA when you view the epic also show up (i.e., are imported into Portfolio), when you expand the epic in the Portfolio view? 

It could be you see the deviation a) because some stories are under the epic, but those are not imported to Portfolio, or b) some of the estimates on the stories have changed meanwhile, but this change isn't reflected in Portfolio (auto-sync of estimates turned off for example). 

Overall, i have to say this is a problematic area in Portfolio standard plans, with the explicit import and partial/explicit sync they can quite easily get out of sync. that's why we're moving towards the new live plans load data dynamically, and also aggregate over exactly what's in the plan. Have you tried the new live plans yet? They might give you better results already. 

0 votes
AsmitaD April 18, 2016

issue.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events