Portfolio- can Epics use different skills and stages?

Kim Dante April 2, 2015

We are trying to setup Portfolio for the first time.  I entered 2 epics, although, they do not require the same skill set and do not have the same stages.  Must all epics share the same "stages" and "skills".  What if one project (epic) is kanban with multiple stages and the other is scrum with one stage?  Can they be in the same plan even though they have different stages?

What if I have one "implementation" stage with 4 skills: Developer, Database, UI, QA.  One epic needs only developer and qa, the other needs all 4 skills.  How do you configure such scenarios?

5 answers

4 votes
Mark Benjamin June 9, 2015

I think this question has already been answered above, but I found it difficult to follow and implement. I'm hoping the following instruction will help others.

First click on the Epic Details link...

1.png

You'll see a screen like this appear on the right. Click Edit...

2.png

When it first displays, the default estimates/percentages will be calculated for you based on Stages and Skills...

3.png

If this Epic only requires Front and Backend, then type those in manually (and it will SUM them for you) e.g...

4.png

Now close that pane using the X at the top right. You'll see that the Epic is no longer red because the team assigned has both the required skills...

5.png

Stanimir Dochev March 10, 2016

Thank you, Mark!

Your step-by -step helped me get to the right color wink

Best regards!

Rita Lewitt November 16, 2016

It appears the above instructions are for the earlier version of Portfolio.  Does anyone have an update for Portfolio 2.0?  It is not obvious where/if there are options to customize the stages/skills in the latest version.

Rita Lewitt November 16, 2016

Oh wait, of course I figured it out.  We just update the individual skill levels in the estimate fields directly.  

1 vote
Kim Dante April 3, 2015

Regarding percentages and skills- I have one stage and 3 skills (dev 33%, UI 33 %, test 33%).  I have epic1 which requires all 3 skills and epic2 which requires only dev and test (no UI).  In this scenario, it will not graph the epic2 and tells me I am missing the UI skill.  I can change the percentage to 50% dev and 50% test, but then that changes epic1 (where I want dev 33%, UI 33 %, test 33%).  How do I configure different skill sets for different epics and still graph them within one plan? 

0 votes
Rita Lewitt November 18, 2016

In Portfolio 2.0 you can customize the estimates across the skills in the scope view by adding the estimates into the list of fields shown in the scope view.  Then you can update the estimates directly and change the allocation of the estimate across the skills

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2015

You have just to open the "estimation column" something like plus button, in your backlog, there u can set different estimation depending on skill. Not percentage like, but diretly the amount you have estimated 

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2015

For now u can only work on "estimation level" so for example you can say that your EPIC1 nees not 3days of work, but 2 days of Developer and 1 of UI

Problem is that this estimation has to be done at portfolio level and isn't synched back to JIRA 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events