Portfolio Management and Projects in Jira

Carlos Veguilla March 21, 2018

Hi I'm new to Jira.

I think it's very simple from a development team perceptive to use this tool.

My concern is management, they would like to see the work "Roll Up" into their roadmap or initiative.

So, before I start using Jira, wouldn't it be best to start with Portfolio for Jira to define the Road Maps or Initiatives first, then define issue sources to be pulled fro Jira?

I'm also concern about managing the Portfolio as a separate project, especially if we have to have a custom hierarchy.

What is the most effective way to us both?

4 answers

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2018

Hi guys,

There was a similar discussion around how to structure "higher up" issues such as initiatives in Jira & Portfolio. You can check it out here

Cheers,

Martin Huddleston March 22, 2018

Very helpful thank you.  One question, does it matter whether you create projects first or issue types?   If a project exists can we add the new hierarchy and issue types afterwards?

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2018

You can always add additional issue types to an existing project. This document will assist you along the way:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-802170489.html

Cheers,

0 votes
Mario O.G
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2018

Hi Carlos, and Martin.

If you guys are still looking for a solution, please consider giving Structure for Jira a try.

When it comes to project management, Structure gives you an overview of your Jira issues and projects. You can either create your structures manually or automatically by using Structure's Automation feature. Click here to read more about it. 

With Structure, you can come up with different types of hierarchies, allowing you to have a "roll-up of issues from the top down."

Structure for Jira is also packed with other easy to use features that help Atlassian's largest customers track, manage, and visualize progress across projects. Currently, it is compatible with Jira Server (Data Center and Service Desk), but we are actively working on developing a version for Jira Cloud.

I’d be more than happy to tell you more about Structure, if interested. Please feel free to reach out to our support team at support@almworks.com, or you can email me directly at mario@almworks.com if you have any questions.

Live sandbox: https://demo-structure.almworks.com/secure/StructureBoard.jspa?s=151#

Cheers,

Mario O.G
www.almworks.com

Martin Huddleston March 21, 2018

Thanks Mario, looks intersting, though I need it for JIRA Software ...

Mario O.G
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2018

Hi Martin, 

Just to clarify, Structure is a Jira app, and it works with the Server Edition of Jira Software (but not the Cloud edition). 

Mario
[ALM Works]

0 votes

I was also expecting to make all x-initiative and initiative types as Project types and each to also have a Board.  These boards in a hierarchy should I hope then allow me to perform the consolidation/roll up from the top down.  Does this make sense will it work?

0 votes

I'd like to hear the advice on this question also.  I have custom designed a x-initiative, initiative, epoch, story, sub-task hierarchy to suit in excel and now wish to transfer to Portfolio/JIRA Software.   Please advise.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events