Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio: How I can model a situation in witch a team member junior develop a number of code line lass than asenior member on the same time

Samuele Pretini May 14, 2015

I have a person: junior developer that in 40  hour/week write less code lines than senior developer. How can I model this situation. Every person work the same time (40 hour/week).

How can I model this situation using Atlassian Portfolio?

2 answers

0 votes
Samuele Pretini May 14, 2015

Thanks Martin.

Option (a): ok

Option (b): If I follow your suggestion I have to consider for all my epics and stories the junior dev and the senior dev. But my junionr dev work only for some story and not for all. How can I model this situation?

Thanks

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2015

Hi Samuele, There is no direct representation of a "productivity factor", but I've seen different approaches for how to reflect Junior/senior productivity in planning: 

a) Reduce the weekly hours of the junior dev - even though the junior dev practically works fulltime, model him/her with for example 20 hours a week only, if you assume everything will take roughly twice as long

b) Use different skillsets, i.e., model a "Junior Dev" and a "Senior Dev" skill within an implementation stage, and define when estimating a work item, how many "senior days" or "junior days" it will take by expanding the estimates column in the backlog and entering the estimates into the according columns. this will also guide the automatic team and member suggestions to assign the juniors accordingly. 

There is no right or wrong here, other teams will just factor this into the overall team velocity - it depends on how detailled you need to plan. option a is probably a more rough approximation but less effort to model, option b gives you more detailed control and also helps with member assignment, but in turn requires a bit more modelling effort with defining estimates correctly for these skills. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events