Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Limited users for Jira Portfolio?

Hua Ji September 1, 2015

Hi Jiraporfolio team, for the pricing, I have one question, if our company have 500 users on Jira but only 20 of them need to use portfolio, is that possible to pay for limited users? 

4 answers

1 vote
Nick McLoughlan October 23, 2019

Same problem for us.

What alternatives are people using?

Jeroen Olthof November 15, 2019

Same here. Until licenses model is changed, we need to search for alternatives. Any recommendations? Anyone?

0 votes
Hisham September 4, 2019

Same thing here, not everybody will benefit from the portfolio, only few managers, I don't know if the pricing model still the same?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2019

No change

Mick Might October 11, 2019

How disappointing. I won't be trialling Portfolio because of this, since there is no way I can convince my finance director to pay for 100 licenses when only a handful of people will use Portfolio.

Like Alex Charalambous likes this
0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2015

Hello Hua,

You can get most of the information you need from: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-portfolio

Here is the answer that Nic already gave to you: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-portfolio#serverlicenses-5

DavidKWright October 11, 2017

Still true that portfolio license count # needs to be same as JIRA license count # (asking 2 years later)?  We have less than 25 users on a team that would benefit from portfolio, but have a 500 user JIRA?

David Cumps July 19, 2018

Wondering the same, everyone in our company has a JIRA user but only a few managers need the portfolio.

Because of the pricing, we are unable to purchase it and have to look for alternatives.

Like # people like this
Adrián Ramírez Altarejos July 31, 2018

This is obviously what most companies are requesting from Portfolio, i don't know if it still works like that but it looks that most of their market would choose it as an option if only we could have less than 50 licenses in a 200+ users environment. Trying to match it with the number of core licenses is just against its own logic.

A read only posibility would be logical also, but having every user with rights to create and modify roadmaps just doesn't make sense.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2015

No, you need to licence it at the same level as the core JIRA product.

Thomas Kahnoski November 2, 2015

Huge bummer. This would be an easy sell at my company if not for this. I wish they'd charge more for less users. Or go with a tiered read-only type user and then a write access user.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2015

I suspect Portfolio may move to become an "application", like Service Desk or Software, and then you would be able to do different user levels. But I don't have any more info on that than you do. Just a feeling

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2015

This is what we have now: "For JIRA Server 7.0 or later, the add-on tier should match the maximum tier of the licensed JIRA applications on your instance. For example, if you're running JIRA Software (50 users) and JIRA Service Desk (10 agents) on the same instance, you should purchase the 50-user tier for add-ons." Reference: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.radiantminds.roadmaps-jira -> Picing tab

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2015

Yes. As I already implied Portfolio is an add-on, not an application, so it needs to follow the Core licence level. (Until, as I suspect, it becomes an application, which will then be licenced as an application)

Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2015

@nic please no!!!! if atlassian start to change addon to application a lot of customer will search other solutions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2015

I think you're missing the background of what an "application" is in this context. JIRA 7 split JIRA into three products - Core, Software and Service Desk. They're being marketed as separate products, but what they *really* are is: JIRA Core JIRA Software = JIRA Core with the Software Application installed JIRA Service Desk = JIRA Core with the Service Desk Application installed Applications are the new feature for JIRA 7 - they're JIRA Applications that run within Core. Not separately. An incorrect, but simple and useful way to think of them is "A different type of add-on". Service Desk and Software used to be add-ons, but now they're Applications. But still JIRA applications. I can't think of a single reason why a Portfolio customer would go elsewhere just because it changes from an add-on to an application. The move would have some benefits in terms of cost and flexibility for some users, and absolutely zero downsides.

Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

...and you will continue to pay as a "core features" so for all users. the only plugin (provided by atlassian) that has a different license type is "service desk" but they have created a lot of bloking permission and features to create something similar of other "pay per use" system. A lot of users complain about plugin costs, because plugin are related to product license tier. If you want to add a small features to jira, you will have to pay it for all users...Service desk is different because has a different target (people outside system) and usually product like this one (zendesk ..etc) has a license not related o end users (This is my opnion as a user)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2015

No, that's still a bit wrong. Please read my previous comment.

Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2015

i still don't like it :) read my prev comment :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2015

I wasn't saying anything about liking it. I'd prefer it to become an application. I was just pointing out that what you'd written was incorrect

Brad Giotes May 2, 2016

It's a shame you price it this way.  My company has a 250 user license and we only currently have about 106 users.  There is no way I can even ask my company to spend $6000 for a tool 3-4 people will use.  I won't even waste my time evaluating.  ...such a shame.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2016

Atlassian price it that way, not us - we're end-users, like you.

If you're only having 3-4 people using Portfolio from a 100 user base, that's telling me that it's not something you really need.  So I'd skip it.  I totally agree with you - for a couple of people who might benefit, it's not worth it as the rest of you won't!

Samantha Sieverling February 15, 2019

Hi All,

Only three to four people using Portfolio sounds about right for a 100 person user base.  It will only be used by a couple of Project Managers and Product Owners to create road maps and to show progress to the exec through reports, so the cost is pretty prohibitive.

Feeling sad about being forced to license for all our users for several products that I would love to use, but once you add three or four of these items, suddenly you go from 1K to 6K and that puts these products out of range and we have to choose which one's are the highest priority.

What a shame.

Samantha

Luqman Moosa July 3, 2019

We have 50 ppl on JIRA only 4 use it really don't see the point of paying so much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events