Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple version of a product to plan

JulienFritsch August 29, 2017

Hi, we are newly using the Portfolio and we are on our way to implement it product by product & team by team. And we have a decision to take on how to implement the plan for multiple version work when done by a single team.

Let me explain we have the product team A which is working on the product Z, which has 3 maintained version A1, A2 and A3 and a future new version A4. So far, in their backlog, specific for product Z, each version exists as 'versions' and the backblog of issues are assigned to each fix version and grouped in sprint dedicated to a single version and to each time a specific lengh. So this means for instance :

Sprint 11 - version A1 for 2 weeks for team A

Sprint 12 - version A2 for 1 week for some members of team A

Sprint 13 - version A3 for 3 weeks  for team A

Sprint 14 - version A4 for 4 weeks  for team A

Sprint 15 - version A1 for 1 week for some members of team A

But, in the Portfolio, the most important plan we want to follow and manage carrefully is the version A4 since it's where new features are. The 3 other versions are maintenance version and we do the max per sprint to solve all the bugs. I'm not sure yet, we'll get all those bugs in the Portfolio plan.

Now that we'll be using the Jira Portfolio module, I was wondering what would be the most ideal way to manage those sprint & versions.  At the moment, I do have the version A4 scope in the plan and I'm getting the teams. But once we'll get to the estimates and planning, I know that I'll face an issue, since the plan won't be continuous (interruption with the maintenance sprints), so I wanted to brainstorm this here with those that might either have some experience or idea how to best manage this.

Regards.

2 answers

0 votes
JulienFritsch July 5, 2018

So far, I'm thinking to get the maintenance sprint as Epic/Issues and assign the full team on it in order to generate some alert on the capacity. But I'm curious to see if anyone solved this problem already.

0 votes
JulienFritsch September 28, 2017

Has anyone any idea for this question ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events