Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to establish dependencies between sub-tasks in Portfolio?

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2017

Are dependencies at the sub-task level supported in JIRA Portfolio?

When I establish dependencies between sub-tasks in JIRA Portfolio and click the button to recalculate the schedule, the scheduler returns errors.  The error at the sub-task level is:

• "Violation in dependency. A required work item could not be scheduled."  

The errors at the main task level are:

• "Violation in dependency. A required work item could not be scheduled."
  • "Cyclic dependency detected."

On a related note, the scheduler seems like it can get itself into a state that is almost unrecoverable.  When trying to work through the above issue, I added and deleted a lot of dependencies trying to find something that worked.  Sometimes the scheduler would still return errors even when I'd deleted all dependencies.  Anyone else having that issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marie F. Kent March 12, 2017

Peter,
No, sub-tasks cannot have dependencies in Portfolio. Here is the write-up from last year. Sub-task Dependencies in Portfolio 2.0

Also, if you remove the dependencies, Portfolio will schedule all the resources concurrently.

In short, you cannot use sub-tasks in Portfolio plans.

Atlassian has this as a suggestion, I advise people to vote on this and add a comment that it is a defect.  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPO-1600

Hope this helps!

0 votes
María
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2017

Hi Peter,
Sub-tasks can't have dependencies with sub-tasks in the same story, that's the reason you're getting those errors.

The reason why the scheduler might get into a weird state is because you have multiple cyclic dependencies with sub-tasks.

Cheers,  

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2017

What is the reason for not allowing dependencies within a task?  In my scenario working with a Marketing group, the task is to produce a piece of copy.  To accomplish this, there is a sub-task to write the copy and a sub-task for the requester to review the copy.  The review is dependent on the copy being written.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events