Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initiatives with next-gen projects

emmanuel.neret April 6, 2020

How can I create an extra level of hierarchy on top of Epic? i.e Initiatives or Themes like suggested here.

It seems like this is currently missing. I could bring everything one level down but Subtasks don't show up in the backlog or in boards...

Any idea how I could achieve this?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
emmanuel.neret April 8, 2020

Thanks Earl,

-Anything you recommend using in order to group epics under an umbrella?

-Is this something that on the backlog?

Emmanuel

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2020

Hi @emmanuel.neret ,

I would recomend that if you are lookin to use the capabilities of Portfolio to its fullest check out the KB "Migrate between next-gen and classic projects" and I would suggest converting the projects that you want to have in portfolio converted over to classic projects, But also make sure to read through the "Things to keep in mind if you migrate from next-gen to classic" section before doing so as a lot of the items will require a rebuild to weigh out the effort and impact of doing this.

The main conflicting points between Next-Gen and Classic projects in Portfolio, is that Portfolio for Jira is specifically aimed at managing an overlapping multi-project approach with shared elements, and Next-Gen projects are designed to be a simplified project type, to contain all elements within a single project isolated from other projects with project specific elements.  As an example each Next-gen gets its own custom fields and issue types, but classic projects borrow from a global pool of these elements, and portfolio only looks at the global pool.

Additionally as the roadmap goes we do have things in the works, but at this time we do not have any ETA publicly available on new feature roll outs.  However, Jason Wong, a lead Product Manager for Jira Cloud did hosted an Ask me Anything session back in October of 2018 so its a bit older but does answer a lot of question about next-gen and portfolio plans. A lot of interesting information about the roadmap and where the product is headed can be found here:

The feature request  tracking the addition and support of Next-Gen Epics to Portfolio is being tracked here, add yourself as a watcher to get updates on the status:

Make sure to add your vote on the request to help us track the continued interest in this, Noting it already has a High Vote count, but every vote helps influence the priority for development as covered in the Implementation of New Features Policy

Regards,
Earl

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2020

Hello @emmanuel.neret ,

Currently Next-Gen Projects do not support the parent child relation ship that allows the higher initiative levels in Portfolio for Jira.

This and other limitation of Portfolio are covered in the following KB article, but to use the functionality you will want to use Classic projects:

Regards,
Earl

Jakub Kierszka April 9, 2020

@Earl McCutcheon 
This has been a huge challenge for thousands of your users. 
Having a configurable, multi-level hierarchy is a "must-have" for mature project management and a global requirement for every project management software. Users have have been asking this question and ones like it, since I started working with JIRA in 2009.

I have seen these dozens of requests sidelined with "there's a plugin" or "use Portfolio". Neither solution path adequately addresses the needs of PMs, SMs, and multi-team environments working on complex projects. 

At an abstract level, expandable nested work breakdown structures (PMBOK WBS) are a must-have. I have come to understand it's an architectural shortcoming of JIRA, but I urge Atlassian to consider this, or you will recreate your Achilles Heel in your "next-gen" efforts. Wishing you and the team best of luck with this challenge. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events