How to structure the information in JIRA to obtain a portfolio?

Eva Fernandez May 25, 2017

Hello!!

We need to create a portfolio and hierarchy in JIRA based on the structure currently used in .xls.

In .xls, we have 3 levels; Program group, program and team. In the 3 levels we have several projects where they are managed:
- Program group: epics
- Program: epics, feature, story
- Team / project: epic, feature, story, sub-task

How can you group the information of all the projects to have a strategic vision with jira portfolio and struture?

In other organizations, how do you manage strategic planning in JIRA with portfolio for jira and / or structure?

In JIRA everything is managed with projects at the same level, how do you relate a project set with 2 levels higher to see the progress?

We have Program Increment, I think they could be in Portfolio for JIRA, the releases CROSS.

image.png

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2017

Hi Eva,

As Vanessa mentioned, it's quite a big quesiton to answer and both tools can be useful in this case. Each tool has it's strong points, so depending on your specific needs you can use one or the other or both like quite a few of our customers. Portfolio is mostly focused on planning, while Strucutre has many features for visualisation of a large scope of work, traking progress, creating issues break-downs for analysis and offers far more flexibility.

Here is an example of a structure similar to yours, but you can have any kind of hirarchy built in a similar way:

https://demo-structure.almworks.com/secure/StructureBoard.jspa?s=152&os_username=demo&os_password=demo

If you wish, we'll be happy to de a detailed demo of Structure capabilities and how it can be used for managing portfolios of projects.

Just contact us through support.almworks.com and we'll find some good time to do it.

Kinds regards,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2017

Tambien hablo un poco de Espanol, pero no se si es suficinte para hacer un demo :) Podemos probar :)

¡Muchas gracias!

Yo tengo muchas dudas para los Niveles una organizadora de "cartera" y "Programa".

En los Niveles de CARTERA Y PROGRAMA, ¿Puedo Tener Varios Proyectos?

Yo tengo varios "program" que tienen issues, como si fueran proyectos normales en JIRA, pero que estan en un nivel superior a los proyectos (nivel team).

En La DEMO que me mandas, veo Que Hay Un Proyecto para CARTERA y Un Proyecto para PROGRAMA. 

¿Como se relacionan las cuestiones de PROYECTO DE PROGRAMA Y con cartera? ¿Como Es Posible párrafo Tener Una jerarquía?

Voy a Revisar tu DEMO, me sera de gran ayuda.

Un millón de gracias !! :-)

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2017

De nada :)

Con Strucutre es posible organizar tus projectos en qualquier manera. El estructura en la Demo es solo un ejemplo que refleja un setup mas tipico de nuestros clientes.

En este ejemplo he creado un tipo de JIRA link especial (implements/implemented by) para usar para connectar Initiatives i Epics. Eso es una manera bastante tipica.

Pero tambien puedes utilizar proyectos en otra manera i por ejemplo usar differentes tipos de issues por differentes niveles, pero del mismo projecto. 

Todo depende de manera de organizacion en vuestra empresa.

Es un poco deficil explicar solo escribiendo - hay un grabacion de un webinar, que muestra los features basicos de Structure - es un poco largo, pero da un idea de que es possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HpABPX9fc

Es en Ingles, pero si tiene algunas preguntas - puedo commentar i resolver qualquier dudas.

Puede escribir me a eugene@almworks.com o contactarnos por support.almworks.com

Losiento por mi Espanol - no practico mucho :)

Un saludo

Eugene

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vanessa_Roberts May 25, 2017

This is a giant question to answer.  We tried Structure in the past, but it was too much for us at the time.  We currently use Portfolio.   Within Portfolio we create additional hierarchy that does not exist in Jira using the term Program Epic.    It's important to note though that issues in Jira can link to a "parent link" which reflects the additional hierarchy introduced with Portfolio.  I can have a Project level Epic link to a program level Epic.   This allows our Product Management team to manage a backlog of stuff at a higher level and refine it until it is "ready" for teams to work on.    

Generically speaking, I think you can achieve the hierarchy you're looking for in Portfolio (it's designed for that); however the exact mechanics are not clear without context of your business and probably some trial and error.

The program epic, Are the releases in the portfolio?

What elements do you link with the new link "parent link"?

Thank you very much for your answer.
Sorry, my english is bad

Vanessa_Roberts May 25, 2017

Releases can be created at the project level in Jira or at the Portfolio level.   For example, if you create a cross project release in Portfolio and push it down into Jira, it will create that same release in each of your individual projects.  

If I have 3 projects in Jira (Project A, Project B and Project C) and in Portfolio, I have a plan with all 3 projects and want to create a cross project Release, I would do so in Portfolio, put the relevant epics and such in it and then push down to Jira.   When pushing to Jira, each one of those projects will see that cross project release in the list of "Versions".

Oh!!!! thank you very much.

I will try to do a test/pilot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events