Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a former member from a team in Confluence?

Jason Hayman February 17, 2020

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove someone from a team in Confluence. Some details:

• I am a Jira & Confluence admin
  • We have Cloud
  • I am not talking about permissions
  • I am not talking about roles
  • I do not want to remove them from Confluence altogether

The effect I am primarily concerned with is when this person is automatically added to documentation / references (ie a retrospective template) in their previous team based on outdated team membership. I think if I remove them from the old team, this disruptive behavior will stop.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about; the one place I have been able to see it, but I don't know how to edit it.

Sven_Johnson_-_Profile_-_Confluence.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fowler March 3, 2021

I'm fairly certain no one at Atlassian knows that someone built a "Teams" feature into confluence. From what I can tell, only members of the team can edit the members of the team (I'm not clear if confluence admin has anything to do with it)

However, IF you are an admin AND a member of the team, you can definitely remove users from a team from the team's page by doing the following:

1. Login as an admin
  2. Find the Team's page (I navigated via the People Menu -> Search for People and teams -> enter team name)
  3. Join the team
  4. Hover over the row of the user you want to remove, click the "..." and "remove from team"
  5. Repeat the same for yourself.

The same goes for adding people to the team: you must be a member of the team to enable the "Add people to team" button

Jason Hayman March 3, 2021

Yes! That did the trick. Maybe this feature wasn't there when I was wrestling with a year ago. Of course, I could have just missed it completely. Either way, thanks so much @Fowler 

Cheri Hansen March 17, 2023

Thank you for posting this.  I had a really hard time finding any information regarding people > team.  This worked perfect!   

0 votes
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2020

Hey @Jason Hayman
I understand your use case, still I believe that section is there as a way to showcase which user is part of which team and does not edit them. (if it did, wouldn't it override permissions?)
If you truly want to remove a person from that space, as it it outdated, I  think you should remove them from permissions directly. 

Jason Hayman February 18, 2020

Thanks for that, @Sajit Nair However, I have done this. The person in the screenshot above was in Platform team and moved to Money team. The first thing I did to fix the issue was remove all of his permissions from the Platform team page. As you can see, on some table somewhere he is still considered to be a part of the Platform team.

The trouble arises when someone on his former team creates a retrospective or one of several other templates, the name of the person above is automatically placed on the page. This is inaccurate and also sends him a notification that he was mentioned.

Of course, his name can be removed before saving, but it's a nagging little problem that occurs quite often across several teams and will continue to worsen until I can learn how to remove people from former teams.

Jason Hayman February 18, 2020

Let me be more specific about where this problem shows itself. Maybe it will help.

In creating a retro, when a team is chosen the team members or participants are automatically filled. Four of the people in the screenshot below are no longer on this team. How can I get them removed from being auto-populated?Retrospectives_-_Teams_-_Confluence.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events