Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allocate a percentage of a team to a plan?

Tom Björkholm January 24, 2020

In the company there are stable teams. The company has more products/projects than there are teams. The company decides that my product A gets 30% of team X and 20 percent of team Y. 

The percentage allocation is something the team must honor over a longer time like a month or quarter. At any given day it is OK to deviate from the allocation percentage as long as the manhours per quarter match the percentage allocation. This means that at  any specific day all team members might work on my product A and this is offset by some other day with no team member working on my product A.

The rest of the capacity in team X is allocated to other products that use Portfolio for Jira plans. The rest of the capacity for team Y is allocated to other products that do no use Portfolio for Jira.

We can live with any time period that Portfolio for Jira supports for having a capacity allocation. If the time period that should have x % allocation to the product is a week, a month or a quarter does not really matter to us.

How can I model this in a Portfolio plan with teams?

I have tried to list only 2 of the 6 team members in real life team X as members in team X in Portfolio for Jira. This works until the team starts working on the tasks/stories. Then Portfolio for Jira complains that the task/story is assigned to a person not in the team and not in the plan (and cannot schedule the task/story).

I have tried to reduce the number of weekly hours per team member and list all team members in real life team X as member in team X in Portfolio for Jira. This has the result that portfolio schedules one task/story per team member and any single story takes a long time. In other words: lots of stories are scheduled to be done in parallel during a long time, and the team cannot use the Portfolio plan to get guidance on what story to start working on next.

Is there a good way to handle this in Portfolio for Jira?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events