How do you reduce velocity for entire team per sprint

This is a Portfolio plugin question.

We use the Portfolio plugin to help implement SAFe. With SAFe you have a 2 to 3 day planning meeting once every 6 sprints. For that reason every 6th sprint you only plan half the team's velocity. Does anyone know how I could reduce the velocity of a sprint by x amount at the team level?

1 answer

1 vote

Hi @Chris Flynn, you can't directly reduce the velocity for a future sprint, but you can work with either team member absences or global non-working days to achieve the same result: Portfolio live plans adjust sprint velocity in case of absences automatically (in standard plans, there is a checkbox in the velocity dropdown). If you want to reduce velocity by half, you could model absences for half of the sprint duration. If you don't have team members defined, the best way to still emulate this behavior is adding a single "placeholder" team member (virtual user), and model the absence there. Hope that works!

Thank you very much for the helpful tips. I will try out some combinations you recommended. I think I started by reducing work load for each team member during the sprint dates.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 26, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

New Portfolio for Jira Getting Started Guide

We've just launched a brand new guide to help you get started with Portfolio for Jira.  This guide is a companion piece to our new demo. The guide walks you through use-cases, best practices an...

267 views 7 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you