Does anyone else find the "Dependency scheduling" explanatiion confusing?

Chris Mitchell July 31, 2017

Perhaps it's due to being Monday morning, but during a review of my sechduling options, I decided to review the "Dependency Scheduling" section closely.

I can choose to either Rank a dependent item below a required item,  or alternatively, Rank a required item above a dependent item.....

So, insofar as these two seem to be exactly the same option, I checked the specific documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/dependencies-schedule-844237026.html.

hmmm.  Not enlightening at all, and clearly needs to be re-written --

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user August 1, 2017

I agree it's confusing, but they don't do the same thing exactly.  Take the example of stories and dependencies from that page you linked.

If Rank dependent work item below required item is selected, it schedules it in the below order, even though it's not ranked that way:

1. Story 2
  2. Story 3
  3. Story 4
  4. Story 1

So even though Story 1 is the 1st priority, it's scheduled below Story 4 since you said to rank the dependent item (Story 1) below the required item (Story 4).  Since Story 4 is the 4th priority, Story 1 gets scheduled below it, in this case it is scheduled 4th.

If you select Rank required work item above dependent item, it does the opposite, and schedules it in this order:

1. Story 4
  2. Story 1
  3. Story 2
  4. Story 3

In this case you're saying rank required item (Story 4) above dependent item (Story 1). Since Story 1 is the 1st priority, it schedules Story 4 above it.

Chris Mitchell August 1, 2017

Thanks Steven. It would be nice to see your explanation added to or replacing the one provided by Atlassian.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events