Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we add Themes to Portfolio?

Sunitha December 20, 2017

We would like to have a hireracy  as Themes> Initiatives > Epics > Stories as our project have multiple dependencies across initiatives.

Ex: we have multiple products tie to one project. So every product there are multiple epics and stories. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Hi Sunitha,

We do have an article titled Themes report that may help:

To create a theme:

1. Click + Add theme, name it and add a color.

2. Click the  switch report menu >  Themes.
  3. Click the  Reports tab to display the reports section for your plan.
  4. Go to your plan via Portfolio (in header) > View Portfolio > click your plan.

5. Now that the target is settled, you have to assign themes to the issues in your scope.

(info) To delete a theme, hover over the right side of the theme row, and click  > Delete.

Hopefully that can help get you started!

Cheers,

Branden

Sunitha December 21, 2017

Thank you for responding, Branden! 

Could you help me navigate through first step... where exactly I can +Add the Theme? 

I’m able to see Theme option in reports section, but not anywhere else. 

Regards,

Sunitha 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Hi Sunitha,

I went through the steps and when I got to the section to click the + sign I did not see that option either.  In the middle of the screen there was an option to re-calculate.  When I pressed this I got the following:

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 10.31.26 AM.png

Hopefully that helps.  If not please provide a screenshot to show us what you see and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

Thomas
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2017

Hi there,

A little clarification: Themes are per plan and are not a level of hierarchy as they can apply to different hierarchies.

If you are simply looking for a new level of hierarchy above Initiative that you would chose to call Theme, you can follow to documentation on adding new levels of hierarchy here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-802170489.html

Cheers,

Thomas

Sunitha December 26, 2017

Thank you, Thomas! This is exactly what I was looking. 

~Sunitha

Sunitha December 26, 2017

Branden,

I'm able to add a new level. I'm good for now. Thank you for your help.

~Sunitha

1 vote
Ben Bland September 5, 2018

Just to add my similar experience:

I think part of the confusion here might be that it's not obvious how to create Themes in the first place from the main view(s) in Portfolio. There's no 'Create Theme' button or menu item called 'Themes' etc.

Instead you have to go to Reports, then switch the type of report to Themes, then select Add Theme.

It's illogical and awkward from a newcomer's perspective.

Sunitha September 5, 2018

@Ben Bland - Thank you, Ben. I couldn't agree more with you on how confusing for new users. 

Richard Cross May 29, 2019

"Instead you have to go to Reports"...

... where is that?  I'm using Portfolio 3.2 and I don't see a Reports section in my Plan.

EDIT:  Hmmm... seems to be missing in the "improved" interface.  You have to drop to the original interface in order to access Reports.

EDIT 2:  and even then, it's missing.  It looks like Themes have been dropped from Portfolio and replaced with Roadmaps (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/sharing-roadmaps-960719459.html)

How utterly confusing.

Like # people like this
rgibbons June 17, 2019

I agree, this is very poorly planned/managed and counter-intuitive. I feel like the PM for this particular portion of Portfolio has failed miraculously.

Mark Bednarski July 24, 2019

Based on the documentation I searched a long time for themes. No explanation whatsoever that this feature disappeared. 

Like Dave_Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events