Can I use Jira Portfolio just for high level planning

Hello,

We need a tool to plan the different projects of our agency. So far we use a basic excel file X-axis = time (weekly), Y-axis = projects and we show the phase of the project inside the table (creative, production...).

I saw this screenshot on Atlassian's blog: http://atlassian.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2015-01-12-at-10.40.44-AM.png

This is exactly what I want.

But I don't want to link any JIRA ticket, create any team, configure any skill, plan releases etc...

I just want to create a project as an epic and then a creative user story that lasts 2 weeks and a production user story that lasts 2 weeks etc... (basically I just want to have to deal with the Backlog/Epics page and enjoy en Reports/Schedule one)

Is it possible?

Cheers,

JG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
Justin Burke Atlassian Team Jan 15, 2015

Hi JG,

Portfolio requires that you create a team for its planning functionality to work.  If you don't enter in any team information, the report in that screenshot won't generate.

That all being said, I would suggest you download a trial for JIRA Portfolio and play with it a little.  You may find that by entering a placeholder team, you'll get what you are looking for.

Hi Justin, Thanks, I already installed the trial version and had a play around. It's a bit disappointing that the tool has to be fully set up in order to bring any value. I understand the value in the resource planning/analysis etc... But if it cannot be incrementally implemented and requires a big project to be set up we won't be able to use it. Fast implementation and flexibility used to be your biggest strengths in my opinion. Cheers, JG

It sounds like you are really looking for different tool.  Have you seen this plugin for Confluence?  It allows you to create simple views like you are suggesting:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-roadmap-plugin

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Josh Frank
Posted Apr 04, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Factom: Portfolio for Jira case study

Recently, as part of a   series of Portfolio for Jira case studies, we spoke with Carl DiClementi, Director of Product Management at   Factom   about how he uses Portfolio for Jira. In...

263 views 5 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you