Can I create an issue hierarchy level above epic

Gaurav Chahar March 29, 2020

I want to create a new level above epics?

e.g. Function/Initiative something like that and I don't see a option.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2020

Jira Software only implements Epic -> Task -> Sub-task.

You can get more layers with Portfolio for Jira, Jira Align or Structure for Jira.  There's some other stuff you might look at, but those are the only three fully intended to create more layers over Epic

Thanks Nic.

I'll probably have to restructure the issue type with different names to use existing hierarchy offered by JIRA

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2020

If you do that, please do not rename "Epic".  This breaks some stuff in Jira in subtle ways that you won't spot until it's got quite bad.

This is likely to change soon, but at the moment, it causes too many problems.

Like Tanya B_ likes this
Gaurav Chahar April 1, 2020

Thanks Nic. I'll remembr that.

Is it only with Epic, or changing User stories will all have an impact?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2020

Just "Epic" - do not rename those.  Stories and the rest, fine.

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2020

You will need a tool, such as Portfolio for Jira, to create a higher level.  Portfolio will give you the ability to create Initiatives, which can roll up Epics.  Themes can also be used to roll up Initiatives.

I believe Big PIcture will provide you with Programs, that are similar to Initiatives.

Thanks Robert.

I just needed a level between Epic or User story...or if possible a level above Epic.

But getting an additional tool for a small request feels like a lengthy process and not sure if it's worth it to pay for another tool.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

Are you using Jira Cloud Premium by chance?

not at this stage. Does it allow to create Hierarchy?

In Kanban, I can see there is a Hierarchy Epic> User Story> Task

But whereas in Scrum, it allows me to only User Story inside Epic, but I can't link Task to user stories

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events