cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning sprints to teams in JIRA Portfolio

Jarosław Świerk August 29, 2017

Hi,

we have the following situation when using Portfolio 2:

• the team consists of 3 scrums, in portfolio they are represented as 3 scrum teams 
  • all scrums work on the same JIRA project (so share the backlog)
  • each scum has dedicated sprint to keep the commitment clean

Now when trying to use Portfolio 2.0 the plan properly imports the sprints from the single board (which is used as source) but it is not able to resolve the fact that the sprins are happening concurrently. Note that it seems not to be possible to define the dates for the future sprints (which weren't started yet). As result automated scheduling is not usable.

Is it possible to configure e.g. mapping of the sprints and the agile teams or any other way to tell Portfolio plan to align the sprints properly?

Thanks in advance

Jarek

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Donaghy September 25, 2017

Have you tried to create separate boards for each of the concurrent sprints and then using each board as a source for the plan?

Jarosław Świerk September 26, 2017

That unfortunately does not work - the boards show automatically the sprints that the issues inside are put on. In theory this probably is the solution but means I need to separate the backlog for each scrum (so that the board does not show issues from the same JIRA project but somehow labeled as belonging to other SCRUM. And this is sth I would like to avoid - in general 3 scrums are planning their work separately but it does happen that we switch some of the stories to other scrum - depending on the progress and priority of the issues (if one scrum is faster and others have delay then they take over high priority issues before working on their original lower priority items). The the trick is to share the backlog but somehow properly sequence the sprints...

Mark Donaghy November 24, 2017

Another alternative is to use three different JIRA projects and to bring them together under a portfolio program. I am using that successfully.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events