Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access JIRA Portfolio using API

Giorgio Vizzaccaro December 17, 2014

Can I extract data related to a Portfolio Plan using APIs?

Data that I would like to read includes:

• forecast on progress (without having to calculate it again from the raw data in JIRA)
  • people availability
  • sprint and release dates/content, as forecasted in the Plan (but perhaps not materialized yet on linked JIRA issues)

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2018

Hi everybody,

I believe the best place to get updates on the topic would be the following issue suggestions:

You can consider explaining your requirements and use case in those issues to help the teams better understand your use case.

Cheers,

Thomas

Dave Hock February 7, 2019

Hi,

So what use cases is this API trying to solve? It see no valid use for it. Why would I want to just see info about a plan?

What we need is a way to 

1. List initiatives

2. Know what initiative an epic is set to

Am I missing something?

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2019

Hi @Dave Hock,

This API is here to expose some of the data that is Portfolio specific and wouldn't be accessible otherwise.

For data like issues, even when it comes to Portfolio field, I'd suggest having a look at the Jira search API: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-examples/#searching-for-issues-examples

The actions you mentioned are both possible via JQL, so the Jira Search API should work for this. I understand the Portfolio documentation for devs is not clear enough on this and I will share that feedback with our team.

Cheers,

Thomas

7 votes
Torben Hoeft April 13, 2015

is there a plan that Portfolio will get its own REST API?

Otherwise it is hard to integrate it. In big enterprises a lot of things are automatized.

• creation of teams
  • assign people to teams (incl. capacity information)
  • setting unavailable days like vacations etc for a user
  • filling in the estimates
  • create and update Epic/Story information (Release, Team, etc.)
  • create and update Initiative information (Release, Epics, etc.)

We already do this kind of things in JIRA, so starting with Portfolio and doing everything manual would send us back to the stone age.

thx,

Torben

Annie Ioceva May 18, 2015

We are also looking forwards for JIRA Portfolio API ... Annie

Sean Kamath May 21, 2015

We, too, use the REST API JIRA provides. This would be a fantastic addition. It would be good just to get a roadmap for when such a thing might exist -- assuming this work is in a JIRA Portfolio and it's been scheduled out. :-) (assuming Atlassian is using Portfolio to manage Portfolio).

3 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2015

There's no official, supported API at this point. Since all communication between the Portfolio frontend and backend is REST based, the only option would be to investigate the current REST calls and use the same in a custom application. That said, such an integration could break with every release of JIRA Portfolio as we don't ensure version compatibility until we officially publish an API.

Benjamin McGinnis January 5, 2018

Any update on this topic Martin? It would really help us if we could eliminate some HR Manual labor by integrating our ADP time off requests with Portfolio availability and having this API would really help to accomplish that.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Cristian Rojas June 18, 2015

Will Atlassian Connect be able to talk to Portfolio?

0 votes
salamonv December 14, 2017

+1 upvote as well

0 votes
Patrick van der Rijst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2015

@Martin Suntinger is there anything on the roadmap about a REST api?

Based on the comment below, is how we would like to use Planner and Portfolio. The issue is, that Portfolio doesn't keep the work in sycn but more annoying is the duplicate defining of teams, holidays, etc.

Hi,
I think one key difference is that with JIRA Portfolio, you can manage pre-project stages of a project, and when a project is approved, it may be automatically initiated as tickets in JIRA.

Compared to Tempo Planner – which manages only real JIRA projects (A Work Item in Tempo Planner is just a representation of JIRA or JIRA Agile).

Regards,
Annie

Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

up! same request from us

0 votes
Mike Schorah June 5, 2015

So, is there a feature wish-list item for this, please? We have many needs for this, e.g.

We need to READ the 'End Date' value to update our ERP system for customer communication

We need to WRITE new Epics and/or Stories based on new Quote or Sales Order items generated in ERP

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events