Improved interface new ranking approach issue

Skalski Mateusz December 3, 2019

Hello,

I have w big problem with the removal of ranking dependency between parent/child. Let me describe my use case:

At some point there is a need to change the focus in the project, that means rank an initiative higher than the other. I drag an initiative but there is no actual change in the plan because child epics and child stories of those epics stay where they were and I have to manually first drag all the epics to a specific place in the plan between 2 initiatives (one above and one below parent initiative) and then do the same with the stories of those epics. Even with a bulk change it's a hassle. Without this, a change only in the initiative does not make any real change in the plan, developers have still the same priority for their stories.

I honestly cannot find any use for the case where you only drag an initiative higher but decide to keep the stories ranked low. That's a false output where one might think that highest ranked initiative is the initiative that is being focused on but actually it doesn't matter, only stories rank matters. The previous behavior allowed me to control the plan on high level without having to move tens of stories each time I need to change the priority of an initiative.

Can someone explain to me the use case for this? I read here (in ranking issues) that the old approach was confusing because moving an initiative moved everything and influenced backlogs. Isn't that the whole point of Portfolio to change the focus of the team if necessary? What's the point of moving the initiatives higher/lower if there is no impact in reality and the developers are doing what they where doing anyway?

Given this use case, could you at least bring back this functionality as an option (even disabled by default)? For me it's an absolute necessity and this decision blocks me from moving to the new interface.

4 comments

Itamar Zabari February 4, 2020

Hi @Egor Tasa [ALM Works] 

Can you possibly offer help with the above? 

Thank you,
Itamar

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Hi Itamar,

If I understand correctly, the question here is about consecutive ranking, where children are ranked in the same line with parents. With introduction of automation, Structure abandoned this approach, so currently ranking is again independent for parents and children. In a structure a parent would drag all the issues with itself, but the same will not reflect in flat rank-ordered lists.

Regards,
Egor

Skalski Mateusz February 5, 2020

@Egor Tasa [ALM Works] 

Would it be possible to add a switch that would enable automatic ranking of child items upon changing their parent's ranking?

Additionally what's missing in this functionality is that new items created under parent (in Jira) are ranked at the bottom and bring the parent to the bottom also, so it requires daily check for new items are reranking them manually.

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

Hi Mateusz,

I can discuss this with our product management team (note that I am representing ALM Works, Structure app developer, rather than Portfolio developer). The Structure does not affect parent's ranking when children are created, but children's ranking would correspond to the place they are created at.

Regards,

Egor

Skalski Mateusz February 5, 2020

@Egor Tasa [ALM Works] 

I would be thankful for that.

Just to clarify: we would like to bring back the functionality that when we move parent, children are also moved on their respective layers.

To clarify that additional point: when the task is created directly in Portfolio it's ranked where it's created but when someone creates the task under some epic directly in Jira (without Portfolio, for ex. developer), it's not ranked close to other tasks in that epic in portfolio. It's ranked at the bottom which results in big stretch of the epic.

Thank you once again Egor,

Mateusz Skalski

Kevin Maes March 12, 2020

Hi,

Does anyone have any updates on this? We would like to have this feature (cascading parent rank to child issues) as well.

KR

archan2000 January 11, 2021

Please implement the ability to automatically change a child's (e.g. Epic) rank if the parent's (e.g. Initiative) rank has changed. 

Noah Dellenbusch July 5, 2022

Hi,

is there any news on this matter?

We need this feature too.

Carlos Garcia September 1, 2023

Bump. It's been almost 4 years, and this is still an unresolved issue. 

Furthermore, this kills the usability of one of the most interesting Advanced Roadmap features: Auto-Scheduling...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events