Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-task Dependencies in Portfolio 2.0

Marie F. Kent June 27, 2016

I found a defect in new version of Portfolio that impacts its use if the teams are using sub-tasks in JIRA

The defect is exposed in two ways:
1) If the sub-tasks have dependencies upon one another, Portfolio will not schedule the story.
2) If the sub-tasks do not have dependencies upon one another, Portfolio will schedule the resources concurrently.
Example:
  • There is a story with three sub-tasks: Design (2 days), Develop (3 days) and Test (4 days).
  • If the sub-tasks are set up so that design blocks development and development blocks testing, Portfolio will not schedule the story and produce errors that there is a violation in dependencies and cyclic dependency detected.
  • If the dependencies are removed, Portfolio will schedule all the resources concurrently. In this example, that would make it appear the designer is working on the story for 9 days and that all resources will start working on the story on the same day.
  • The setting 'Issue assignee import level' in configuration does not address this.
I communicated this to Atlassian and they have logged it as a suggestion.

8 answers

0 votes
Marie F. Kent February 8, 2017

I found the record in Atlassian's instance - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPO-1600

Currently, this is listed as a Suggestion and is not assigned.  

0 votes
Stella Mihovska January 31, 2017

Same issue with me. Any workaround in place?

0 votes
Amir Ghaemian January 5, 2017

Hitting the same issue, I even tried removing "Block" linktype as a Portfolio dependency linkype but it still complains about cyclic dependency error.

0 votes
mariefkent November 10, 2016

I have not heard back from Atlassian on this. 

0 votes
Saurabh Agarwal November 10, 2016

Any updates/guidance on this as I am also getting this error and am not able to link 2 Sub-tasks.

0 votes
Michael Seemann October 7, 2016

I encounter the exact same issue here.

in my test setup I have a 

task "testtask" with two subtasks task1 and task2, where task1 blocks task2 (so definitely NOT a cyclic dependency)

I also get the "Cyclic dependency detected. "error with a red exclamationmark

0 votes
Marie F. Kent August 30, 2016

Hi Eric,

I have not heard back from Atlassian on the stats of the defect and the respondent from Atlassian, rchristian@atlassian.com, did not provide a defect ID. sad

Thanks,

Marie

0 votes
Eric Babinet August 23, 2016

Do you know what the defect ID is? I believe I am seeing this same issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events