Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Launches New Jira Software Cloud! What do you think?

Russell J Zera _Philadelphia_ October 18, 2018

So Atlassian has officially launched the new Jira Software Cloud! 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/18/atlassian-launches-the-new-jira-software-cloud/

This is what I showed a few AUG events ago (formerly known as Jira Agility Projects, Now called 'Jira Next Gen'). If you haven't looked at it lately, it's changed a lot and it's really exciting! You now have the ability to create issues and view them in a 'Roadmap' view (no Portfolio required!). The view issue screen is rearranged in Jira Next Gen projects, there is more power put in the hands of the users and less strain on the sys-admins!

Post below your thoughts! Specifically:

What do you think of the new Jira Software Cloud?

Have you used it yet, and if so, what has your experience been?

What concerns do you have? 

Is there a feature you think is missing?

1 comment

Comment

Russell J Zera _Philadelphia_ October 18, 2018

What do you think of the new Jira Software Cloud? & Have you used it yet, and if so, what has your experience been?
I think it has a lot of potential! The ability for individual users to 'spin up' a project for ad-hoc tracking, and also create projects within a specified template is fantastic! There is still a decent amount of concern I have for custom fields, while they don't impact custom fields on other projects, there is some 'bloat' on some back-end integrations (ie in JMWE when doing a custom post-function action, I have 9 'Description' fields already and there is no indication on which one is the right 'Description' field (not even a cf-xxxxx indicator on mouse-over) to know that I'm writing data to the proper field, a lot of 'poke-and-pray'. That could use cleaning up. I LOVE the Roadmap view being natively available, and the ability to choose what features each project has (backlog, reports, roadmap, etc). This feels a lot like Atlassian is listening to suggestions because this feels like the merging of key functionality in Trello and Portfolio in Jira Software Cloud without having to also purchase those add-ons! It's a great start, still lots of room for improvement and some 'scary' factor still present, but it's really a promising venture!

What concerns do you have?
As I mentioned above, there are some concerns with custom fields, with undisciplined users and teams tracking work in 'dark projects' and some general configuration management concerns. But it's a fantastic launch point, and the fact that Atlassian is doing release-feedback-adjust-release-repeat (yeah, actually using agile! Fancy That!) really makes me happy. I think this is the beginning of something really amazing from Atlassian.

Is there a feature you think is missing?
As mentioned above, there's some configuration management and templating functionality that is starting to be there, but still needs refinement. Eager to see when the eventual de-prioritization (phase-off) of Jira Classic will be and what that will look like (strategy-wise). It's the beginning, I would love to see what the long-term strategic timeline of this looks like.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events