Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM - Opsgenie Incident Creation (Affected Service Linking)

Nick Nader - Isos Technology
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Atlassian Team - 

I am trying to configure our JSM demo project to generate an Incident on the Opsgenie side when an Incident request comes into the JSM project.

This seems like it should be out-of-the-box functionality for the new OG - JSM cloud product... Yet there seems to only be the Incident Rules related to a Service that can automate Incident creation in OG.

The only functionality that seems new at all with the cloud release is the fact that I can manually link a JSM request to an alert or incident after it exists in OG. How is this not an automated configuration? The integration configuration allows me to generate alerts off of JSM Requests I create (like it did before through webhook), but that is old functionality, and is majorly limited.

What was the point of merging these two products if the only additional functionality was a manual "Linked Request" field on an alert or incident. Am I missing something here?

Shouldn't there be a configuration place where the Requests in my JSM project that selects an "Affected Service" then generates an Incident in OG associated with that Service? That seems like the intended functionality and it isnt available anywhere that I can find.

We have linked Services across OG and JSM now, but the Requests opened against those Services arent reflected in OG, and I still have to create a webhook to automated alert creation from my JSM project...

There isnt even a property for "Affected Service" in the Advanced Integration Configuration for me to leverage in the Alert message (to then generate an Incident rule out of)

Any more recent documentation or assistance on this would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Ahh I see the connection is only through "Create Major Incident" the small hidden button near the attachment and create sub-task button on a Jira Request.

So is this our only path to automating Incident creation on the OG side? The incidents that are entered via JSM have to be escalated to a Major Incident to generate something on the OG side?

Are there no configuration settings around how these pass info to each other, other than the webhooks already existing in the OG product?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2020

P.S. 

Is the escalation of an Incident to a Major Incident entirely manual? I don't see anything in Automation for me to automate the escalation process in anyway. 

Does this mean agents would have to manually enter all of these Major Incident fields any time they want to escalate an Incident and have it reflected in OG?

robert.nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2020

I have a similar question.  How do we add the "Create Major Incident" to an issue if it is not there.   Is there any documentation on this? 

I found this Working with Major Incidents  documentation but that did not state what to do if Linked Major incidents was not an option.

So on the standard partner demo environment there is the IT Operations Project that has Incident Issue type where there is the link to OPsGenie (everytime a new issue is created the button "Create Major Incident" is there as well as the field Linked Major Incidents, but not in any other issue type or project.  How do we establish said linkage?

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

I noticed that the "Working with Major Incidents" hyperlink above went to Jira Server documentation. Yet this thread is tagged with "Cloud".

There doesn't seem to be an exact match in the JSM Cloud documentation. 

Here is the Cloud version of Escalate an incident documentation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events