Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create Incidents in JSM when an Incident in OpsGenie is created ?

Jake Daniel December 7, 2022

We are trying to automate our incident response and incident capture work flow. Is it possible to do the following ?

1) Create an Incident in Jira Service Management when an alert is created in OpsGenie.

2) Create an Incident OR Major Incident in Jira Service Management when an incident is created in OpsGenie.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

2 answers

2 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2022

Hi @Jake Daniel ,

That functionality is not possible at this time, but we have a feature request you can watch, follow and vote for here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-737

The workaround would be to trigger the JSM issue / incident when the same condition(s) of the Opsgenie alert match on what you are filtering for with the incident rule - so the filter of the incident rule would match or be nearly identical for what triggers the outgoing automation to create a JSM issue.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Jake Daniel,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! 

Yes, you can automatically create an incident in Jira when an alert is created, have a look at this KB on how to set it up.

In order to create an incident in JSM from an incident in Opsgenie you need to have access to incidents rules, which is only available in Opsgenie Enterprise and Standard plans, or if you are using Opsgenie that is integrated in JSM you need to be on a Premium or Enterprise JSM plan. See this KB for more information on incident rules.

Jake Daniel December 7, 2022

Thanks for the quick response @Mikael Sandberg

I AM able to create an incident request type in our JSM instance once an Opsgenie alert is created. The incident in JSM is however NOT showing up under the Incident module/page.

It appears to me that the OpsGenie integration with JSM is capable of setting an Issue type, but is NOT currently capable of including a request type. It appears that for an Incident to display within the Incident module of JSM, both are required?

I do have OpsGenie and JSM Enterprise plans, but do not see any options there for creating an Incident in JSM based on Opsgenie Incident rules (nor via the JSM cloud integration). This appears to be focused on alerts in OpsGenie and NOT Incidents in OpsGenie.

My desired work flow is as follows:

1) Alert is created by *other* integration in OpsGenie > Trigger creation of JSM Incident or JSM service request (based on criteria set).

2) Specific alert criteria would ALSO create an Incident in OpsGenie, based on Incident Rules defined in OpsGenie (this has been done)

3) Once the OpsGenie Incident is created as part of step #2 above > I want to create Major Incident in JSM. Essentially triggering off the Incident creation in OpsGenie.

Is #3 possible today ?

Sincere thanks and appreciation for your time and help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events