"How to spot if you're a Richard" by Colin Ellis

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2020

I am really looking forward to this session "How to spot if you're a Richard" by Colin Ellis. 

This is the session description:

Self-aware, emotionally intelligent people make great teammates. But what if you’re a “Richard” instead? What if you talk over others, get distracted, hold people back, and don't even realize it? Learn to identify if you're a Richard, and see what you can do about it—for success at work in life.

I have a certification in Emotional Intelligence, and having both strong EQ and IQ combined is a super power and gives you the competitive advantage. It doesn't matter how smart you are if you turn other's off by your abrasive attitude and know it all attitude, they won't stick around to see how big your IQ is. 

IQ peaks between age 18 and 20, where as you can improve your EQ to age 85 and beyond if you work hard at improving these essential skills.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts leading up to Colin's session and your takeaways after the session.

4 comments

Comment

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2020

This is a very interesting topic - apart from the more product focused sessions, of course.
I am wondering how people named "Richard" feel about it (just kidding!).

To be honest, most likely everybody experienced company of such a "Richard" some time in the past so I am looking forward to the session.

Like Chandrakant_Bothe likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Lol you are right Daniel, I wonder how he picked the name for this. The Richard's most likely would not like it :) Yes I agree, I look forward to this session as well.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2020

Colin's talk is my top choice when it comes to watching the Summit sessions, and I'll be glad to join the discussion after it.

Every company has this type of person, and working and properly collaborating with "Richards" sometimes is a real struggle. 

Watching closely over this topic, thanks @Jodi LeBlanc for pointing it out!

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Thanks @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_   I have to map out my week to make sure I am able to tune in for it. If it is like last year they had the recording available if I happen to get double booked at the time of his session.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2020

I have attended a presentation by Colin Ellis in 2018. I remember,

• it was interesting and entertaining,
  • I have notes about from that event (and I know where to find them),
  • he told an anecdote about something "obvious" about communication - but his example was something that has a different meaning in NZ. 
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Oh wow, is it the same topic @Kat Warner ? Hopefully he won't do the same anecdote this time if it didn't resonate in NZ.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2020

It is a different topic.

:)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Perfect, thanks Kat! Look forward to hearing your thoughts in comparison to his talk in 2018.

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

I'm very interested in this topic. I would always like to improve my interactions as I feel it is a majority failing on my part in any group scenario. I am aware of it even when I am doing it. I just need to stop myself somehow before it happens.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Danny - I look forward to hearing your takeaways after the session.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events