Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking your Jira Data along for the ride

I have been going to the Atlassian Summit for a few years now but this year was a new experience - attending as a presenter.  While I think that experience is likely worthy of it's own article, I wanted to share some of the information and help tips that I gathered together for any of those Jira admins that hope to consolidate Jira projects on a single instance.  

Jira Data Migrations

Migrating Jira data can run the gambit of extremely easy to months and months of the exact opposite depending on what data is being migrated, the amount of data, and what you might be willing to let go of and recreate.  

And as important as the technical approach is to migrating the data, it is equally important to do as much up front planning as you can.  

As silly as it may seem, every one of our migrations is taken through the same process to help with consistency and documentation collateral for others to review.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 11.30.43 AM.png

Summit Presentation

The focus for the presentation was on merging data onto a single instance and the hoops that you might need to jump through.  Half the presentation covers the importance of planning and the types of questions worth asking. And the second half hits on technical tips and tricks of modifying the metadata and Jira data to fit it in on an existing Jira instance without taking a wrecking ball to make room.  

wreckingball.jpg

Summit Recording

If you are interested to hear more please check out the summit recording.  

Are you Ready to Rumble?  Let's Migrate Some Jira Data

Migration Resources

One of my main goals was to avoid leaving people saying "That sound great, but I don't know where to get started".  There is an open Bitbucket Repo of resources at this link.

This includes several resources:

• Presentation Slides
  • Questionnaire Examples
  • Documentation for handling frequent issues during migrations
  • Some pseudo code and short scripts

1 comment

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 18, 2019

I'll check out the video when I am at work next week.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events