Big Bang and Beyond: Migrating between Server and Cloud

Hello,

Atlassian Summit 2019 is over and I would like to give a short summary of my talk in Atlassian Summit.

I talked about migration of Jira between Server and Cloud. You can find the recording of my talk here:

https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit/watch-sessions/2019/atlassian-admin/big-bang-and-beyond-migrating-between-server-and-cloud

Why do we want to migrate between Server and Cloud platforms? Usually it happens because we feel that the other platform will give us more advantages than the current one. After we have come to this conclusion, we feel hesitant to do the migration, because we are worried about loosing data and the service interruption. But migration of Atlassian products between Server and Cloud is possible and I have done it multiple times and I can assure you that I have not met a case, when migration would not be possible. In my talk I provided the main points, you should know, while doing migration and I hope, after listening my talk, you will have the feeling that migration is possible and you will not be hesitant to do migration and use Atlassian products to your best.

A couple of things I would like to mention.

First of all, while migrating from Jira Server to Cloud, it is important to know that all users must:

• have a email
  • have a valid email
  • all users must have unique emails

I solve all the things above by querying the cwd_user table and make changes directly in this table.

Another important thing is that all users and groups must be in the Jira internal directory, that is why, if your users come from AD or Crowd, you should move the users to the Jira internal directory.

I change users by updating the directory_id field in the cwd_user, cwd_group and cwd_membership tables. I believe that you can not do it in production server, but it is fine in a staging server for migrations.

Also after giving the talk, I came across another very important tip.

When doing migrations from Jira Server to Cloud, you usually need a staging server for data transformation. Important thing to consider is that you should not make the staging server work without errors. For example, dashboards do not work correctly because the baseurl is not configured the right way or other errors like this. These errors do not influence the data in the Jira database, that is why do not waste your time on fixing such errors.

If you feel like you have questions about my talk, please, do not hesitate to write a comment to this article with your question.

Thank you for your attention!

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events