Atlassian Team 2021 Q+A with B.Darr and M.Stewart

Team2021_Email1_Hero-update (1) (1).png

Hello Community!

This superstar team just gave a talk, Insuring the future: Northwestern Mutual’s journey from Data Center to cloud, at Team 2021. 

They presented on how Northwestern Mutual navigated a complex environment and migrated 5,500 users from Data Center to cloud with the help of Solution Partner, Expium. The session covered the value of the cloud assessment and discovery phases, how to manage a major migration, and lessons other migrators can learn from the experience.

Post all your questions in the comments before next Tuesday, May 4th to get an answer directly from Bryan and Michael! 

11 comments

Comment

Bill Goetz April 28, 2021

Hey guys, nice job on the presentation!  Appreciate the info.

Our situation sounds somewhat similar to Northwestern Mutual. A few follow-up questions:

• What apps did you have the most trouble with during migration testing? Can you give more details on what the issues were?
  • Did Scriptrunner and JMWE migrate easily?
  • Were you on Server or DataCenter?
  • Did you have any integrations with Github or Salesforce?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan Darr April 28, 2021

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your kind words! 

• Aside from apps, there was a fair amount of XML processing that needed to be done to migrate the data.
  • Xray was the most difficult app to migrate--we had to write a number of scripts and break up imports into chunks in order to move the data.
  • SR and JMWE were more straightforward. SR JQL queries change in Cloud, so that required communications with teams. We did need to write scripts to translate JMWE groovy into nunchucks, as well as enable them to import as editable workflows. 
  • NM moved from Data Center to Cloud.
  • We did maintain a Gitlab integration, but I don't recall migrating a Salesforce integration.

I'd be happy to hop on a call sometime to chat about this more, as well.

Bryan Darr

bryan.darr@expium.com

Jay Keck April 28, 2021

thanks for the presentation, very informative. I was was wondering what made you not use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, did it not bring all of the data you needed over vs xml? I've migrated individual server projects to the cloud before by exporting xml, converting to csv and manipulating data, then importing to cloud and that worked OK for the most part. Now I have a need to migrate several server projects that all have issue links into each other so I thought about using the JCMA where I can migrate multiple projects at once to keep those links. Is there anything I should be watching out for?

Regards,

Jay

Bryan Darr April 29, 2021

Thanks, Jay!

JCMA has a number of restrictions as to what it imports, and specifically JSM data wouldn't move with it. Additionally, we needed to manipulate app data in the XML (JMWE workflows, SR scripts, Xray data). 

Otherwise JCMA is a solid choice. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bryan

Jay Keck April 29, 2021

Thanks Bryan,

We'll have to be dealing with Xray data as well, do those fields not come over with JCMA(understanding they would still need to connect up with Xray cloud)? I could see where the issuetypes did come over, but the test project I used didn't have any Xray data associated with it. In looking at Xray's scripts that they unofficially(in bold!) provide, it seems they support projects that came over with JCMA. I see where JCMA will soon be supporting the migration of Xray data, maybe it will be ready by the time we are. 

Jay

Bryan Darr April 29, 2021

Hi Jay,

Yes, from what we understand, Xray is putting their migration effort into JCMA instead of XML. We ended up writing our own scripts to migrate the data. If you can't wait for JCMA, we'd be happy to help.

Bryan 

Bryan Darr April 30, 2021

Jay,

Here is a more detailed list of what does and doesn't get migrated with JCMA. 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2021

Hi @Bryan Darr - sorry, my feedback/questions are a week late, but I have been taking my time watching the sessions.

I really appreciate this session, as of course almost everyone is having to start thinking about migrating to cloud.

Michael mentioned one benefit can be using Team (self)-managed projects for "Service Management" projects. But last time I checked, Team projects cannot be Service Management (as in JSM) projects. Did he mean "service management" more generally?

Bryan Darr May 13, 2021

Hi Darryl,

Sorry for the late response, and thank you for watching! 

Team-managed Service Management projects are still in EAP, but there is a link you can use to get to them: https://*.atlassian.net/jsd-next-gen

Bryan

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

OHO! Secret link! And... scary. I've found Service Management projects to be most in need of detailed configuration and administration. Making that availlable to "laymen" is frightening to me.

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021

Hi,

Xray integrates the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA), and there is Early Adopters Program (EAP) already started.
Please file your application for the EAP [here|https://surveys.atlassian.com/jfe/form/SV_6SAs9OX0eAbGk5f].

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events