what are the impacts of changing the project role names on the project?

Andrew W Matthews September 13, 2022

I'm trying to change the name of a project role but I don't know what will be the impact.

is it a good practice?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

You're safe.  Changing the name of a role has no effect on most of Jira.  Workflows, permissions, report configs, security, notifications and so-on are all configured by using the role's unique ID from the database, which doesn't change.  The name of a role is just an attribute of the role, it's for humans to have something readable to work with, not an identifier.

But, yes, of course your renaming will appear throughout Jira - roles are global objects, so changing their name will affect everywhere they're displayed.

The exception is where you've used it in a saved search (a filter).  I doubt you'll find you've got any filters that refer to roles, but if you do, they might break (I'm really not sure that they will - I've never seen a filter that refers to a role, so I've never tested this).

Thank you for the answer

0 votes
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hi @Andrew W Matthews 

Only thing that came to my mind will be filters. If users use project names instead of project keys they will get error and they will need update filter.

Regards,

Seba

Hi @Sebastian Krzewiński 

what I meant was that if I have a project role and i want to change it's name will it change automatically in the permission schemes and other schemes

and workflows

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

Changing project name will not affect schemes. Only thing that will be affected is connected to filter/jql's. So if you have some conditions/validators on workflow which base on jql this will be affected.

Regards,

Seba

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

The question wasn't about project names.

Like Dominik Spescha likes this

Suggest an answer