Will we see an Atlassian software appliance? Would you like to?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

I'm talking about a virtual machine (ovf) that you could just download and fire up in your hypervisor of choice. Basically something like the OnDemand offering but for companies whose compliance officers don't let them store data offsite.

So this could contain all the Atlassian products, all configured (ie dragon quest complete), the ondemand nav bar stuff, an embedded ldap server which all the products would talk to so you'd share the same roles across all the projects, etc etc.

There would be no logging on so their closed source stuff is safe. A simple UI to setup, eg specify your corporate ldap server for authentication, and mail server, which would trickle down to all the products, so you don't have to do this 4 times.

Postgres included, and all the apps preconfigured. Wouldn't that make it much easier for evaluators? And would surely help sales if all the products were pre-installed, to activate them you just put in a valid licence.

Backing up becomes a doddle too, just take a snapshot. Updates also easy to create and apply (if you create it using a product like rBuilder or Oracle JeOS).

I'd probably include a code hosting environment as well, eg mercurial with RhodeCode...

BTW: I know there is a commercial hardware appliance that does some of this, I'm talking about a free software appliance though.

If I wanted to create one and put it on vmware marketplace, with eval licences, would Atlassian let me?

3 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Metil Team July 14, 2014

Has this been completed yet? It is nearly impossible and not cost effective to attempt to install all this on your own without installation training. Is there an .ISO or Appliance ready yet that we can just plug our licenses into?

System Sector October 25, 2014

David, here is an appliance that I am testing. Feel free to test it and give feedback on how to make it better. http://systemsector.com/atlassian-virtual-appliance/

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2012

It would be a nice one to have. Lot of customers have asked for the 'studio' like suite!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2012

Oooh, I was only talking to them about doing an OnDemand "as a product" before Christmas, so I know they're looking at this sort of thing. Virtual machine images were mentioned, alog with a "heck, stick it on a DVD, preconfigured - Atlassian-in-a-box". I hinted at a live server image (like whacking a Linux CD in a machine and rebooting) and although it's not in my notes, I'm sure the word "appliance" got used somewhere.

They've got a group looking at Enterprise stuff like this, and I'm a plonker because I've completely misplaced the email address Josh gave me for it... I'll have a dig.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events