Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Cloud vs Server - which has more market currently

Deepesh Kumar July 3, 2020

• Which of the platform currently has a larger market share (Cloud / Server)? 
  • How many customers does Atlassian have on them (rough percentage on both)?

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 3, 2020

I'm not aware about public numbers on number of instances and users per deployment. But you might wanna look at the Investor Portal and more specifically the most recent Shareholder Letter where you can find information about revenue share.

Cheers,
Sven

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2020

These questions can't really be answered, and the numbers are fuzzy. 

Cloud, Server and DC licences are in tiers.  It is possible to add up the various levels of tier that are licenced (e.g. 1,000,000 10 user tier licenced systems can be counted as 10 million users, and 1,000 250 user tiers are 250,000 and so on).  But

• This will exaggerate it.  No-one runs the systems at exactly their tier, especially larger places.  We'll regularly find 500 tier systems with 350-450 active users.
  • On Cloud, tiers only go up to a certain level.  On Server and DC, there is the option of "unlimited" users.  There is no way to know how many people may be active on one of those.  Two places I worked before Adaptavist are examples - one had 40,000 active users, another 120,000 - no way to even guess what the average is for unlimited users. 
  • The calculation would be made even more complex for people on Enterprise licences because they get smeared licencing (access to many systems for one licence).  I'd probably just look at the tier though
  • Server has a "perpetual" licence.  It keeps working after you let the maintenance lapse.  I know that there are tens of thousands of Jira systems out there which are not actively licenced but are actively in use.  Atlassian can't count them as there's no way for them to know.  (Best you could do is add up every historical Server licence and then assume x% of them are still active).  This messes up any calculation of actual server vs cloud on a count of active systems, as well as the user count.

So you might get some numbers, but you'll need to bear in mind that they're not going to be accurate.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events