Miscellaneous Monday - You know you're getting "old" when...

Michele Lim [Cprime] September 17, 2018

Hey Everyone!

Happy Monday/ Tuesday for wherever you are in the world. In today's Miscellaneous Monday, I'm curious to know when you first discovered you were getting "old".

not.JPG

Not that there's anything wrong with that! Perhaps old is the wrong choice of words, a better choice might be, feeling happy and comfortable doing absolutely nothing or when you noticed that your hobbies are starkly different to an earlier part of your life?

For me, it's come about as quite a shock to be honest! One minute I'm admiring a nice sunny day, and the next, I'm thinking of the same day "wow, what a great day to do the laundry!" 

My latest newly embraced hobby is gardening (a bit of a stretch since I live in an apartment) but I have started to cultivate some plants and am excited to take some snippings of my housemate's succulents (with her permission of course!) to grow some of my own.

When I was younger, I would never have imagined that I would like or take an interest in plants, but I guess they have kind of grown on me :P.

Would be keen to know what new hobbies you've all developed with age. I have attached a photo of my latest adoption, a bulbasaur!! (I guess I am still a kid at heart after all!)

bulbasaur.JPG

8 comments

Comment

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2018

I was just talking to some coworkers about the 'old lady' activities I enjoy!

I feel like I've always liked being an old lady though, so not sure how many I've developed a taste for in my adult years, but here we go:

1. Growing succulents and indoor plants have definitely become a thing. Unfortunately, I have cats and kids, which are the two biggest obstacles to indoor gardening. Each of my household bathrooms and my office are planter-ized. 

2. I'm a knitter/crocheter/sewer. I dig things with string. I picked these hobbies up as an adult because I'm pretty fidgety and need something to do with my hands. Now it's because I'm a hobby hoarder and I just like learning new things. 

3. Whoa, how do I have four pets suddenly? I think I got it in my head that as soon as I lived under my own roof, I needed to have pets. I have two very funny cats and two high-octane dogs. Sometimes my house is a flurry of activity, but I definitely love the responsibility that comes with managing a household (because I'm an old lady). 

BONUS:

I enjoy shopping for home goods. When did I get old enough to be excited about hand towels and new pans? Decorating is an expensive endeavor. 

I know what you mean!! I used to go to people's rooms and say "I love what you've done to the place" as a joke because "adults" always say it, and now I'm very serious! I'm jealous you can knit, I tried a few times but couldn't get the hang of it and several tangled balls of string lying defeated in my wardrobe! 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2018

Crochet is a great springboard into knitting since it's only one hook. Craftsy is a great resource for online classes if you ever get the itch to learn. 

Michele Lim [Cprime] September 18, 2018

Ok cool! I will check it out! I also just bought a paint by numbers set lol! 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2018

I should also tag in @Manon Soubies-Camy because she's a knit wizard and @Jodi LeBlanc because I know she's a succulent lover. 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2018

Thanks Meg! I used to say "Well ok, I'm a grandma because I love knitting" but I don't feel old when knitting anymore - maybe because I do what is called modern knitting (circular knitting vs. regular knitting, Ravelry vs. magazines, Instagram). But I have to admit every non-knitter person thinks it's a hobby for older adults! Last week I was at a knit night where at least 10 persons stopped by saying "Look, they're knitting!" and one of them even took a photo of us 🤦‍♀️

haha! I hope they didn't take a photo of you on one of them new fangled eye phones! 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 17, 2018

I felt old when I heard movies or songs I liked and remembered well were 15 or 20 years old. Oh - and interacting with young adults that were not even born by the time I started high school.

Yes!! My favourite genre is hip hop/ rnb from the 2000s which was 18 years ago!! When I hear young kids singing these songs I'm thinking "how do you even know this song you were probably only just born!"

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

@Kat Warner, last Thanksgiving my 17 year old nephew and I were chating about Jack White and The White Stripes because I mentioned that I enjoy the latest blues guitar trends in alternative rock.  He got all exited and told me he  got a new song from this really cool band he just found on ITunes, and he played it form me. I think I surprised him when I knew the riffs from heart and started playing air guitar after the first few notes.

It was Kashmir. By Led Zeppelin.

I'm old. 

hahaha! Well you can't beat the classics. That's like when the new Rihanna song came out which uses "smooth" by Santana and I bet all the young kids thought the melody was so cool, but they probably don't know it's a remix!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

Here are my "Old People" hobbies that I've either picked up along the way or never realized they were for "old people"

1) I have a fairly extensive stamp collection, including the entire set of mint condition United Nations stamps from the three UN centers that print stamps (New York, Geneva, and Vienna). I'm waiting for Nairobi to start.

2) Wood working...things with spinning blades and sharp edges are definitely for "adults," most of the woodworkers I know that are not carpenters by trade are much older than I am.

But...i didn't realize I was actually "Old" until I started yelling at kids playing in my yard and hanging out on my front steps. 

hooligans.jpg

This is great!! Or when you start telling kids to stand up for people on the bus :P

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 18, 2018

I am going to make a great retired person because two of my main hobbies are doing puzzles (crossword puzzles, logic puzzles, jigsaw puzzles) and birdwatching. I've also been known to attend Jazzercise classes where I am the youngest person there by about 25 years. 

No regrets!

I've been to a few aqua aerobic classes and those ladies will definitely give you a run for your money! 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2018

Let's not forget the slow change of people on TV shows going from being "adults" to looking like they are barely out of their teens (ironic since many teen roles are played by much older actors).

Definitely been seeing that, especially in all the high school-esque movies I binge on Netflix!

Deleted user October 5, 2018

I realized I was OLD when Star Wars was celebrating its 40th anniversary and I remembered watching it in the theater.81P3lDJbjCL._SY679_.jpg

Michele Lim [Cprime] October 5, 2018

You got to be there to experience the first ever screening, that's pretty cool!

Friendly Giant October 25, 2018

When you hear a teen of today signing a beatles song as if it is new......

When you start talking your experiences during the last decade of the last century; Though they  may be so vivid and valuable, some people give you the look of Huh?!?

like working Agile?Agile cartoon.jpg

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2018

Or: you hear a teen of today singing a song of your teenage period and she / he doesn't even know, that there was an original version of the song

Deleted user October 25, 2018

A teen watched Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" video filmed on the USS Missouri for the first time.  She was stunned when I told her Cher was 43 when she recorded it and turned 72 this year.

Michele Lim [Cprime] October 25, 2018

Wow!! Cher is definitely an icon!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2018

I thought that was Dr. Frankenfurter at first.

Friendly Giant October 26, 2018

You got me!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events