Would you call yourself a coffee aficionado?

Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Happy Friday to you all, amazing community members and leaders!

Let’s accept this, coffee is a great way to start your day, especially if that day is a work day full of meetings, projects, and struggles of professional life (unless you have a caffeine allergy or intolerance).

You might have started your coffee journey either as a way to focus or as a routine in the office. However, you might be at a stage in your life where coffee is the first thing you see, touch, smell, and sip as soon as you wake up. So, there is nothing wrong with this, and if this sounds like you, just like this post to show everyone that you are a coffee lover.

This is going to be a long post, so 

Aside from being a coffee lover and a regular coffee drinker, there is a whole new level of coffee craziness: being a coffee aficionado. This experience usually starts with grinding and ends with having the first sip. This journey includes aromas, sights, and flavors with a hint of evaluation (sometimes a harsh criticism if an aficionado ends up at a Starbucks by invitation!).

If you think you might be more than a coffee lover, here are some questions to answer;

1. Do you usually spend more than $20 for a pound of coffee beans? And do you only buy whole beans?
  2. Are you familiar with different roasts and can you tell what kind of bean is in front of you?
  3. Do you always choose high-quality beans judging by the freshness, origin, brand, and harvesting method?
  4. Do you pay attention to the environmental factors of the origin of beans such as climate, soil, altitude, pests, and diseases as well as the handling of the plant?
  5. Do you own a coffee roaster, grinder, maker, and various types of utensils?
  6. Do you enjoy experimenting with different coffee grind textures that affect taste, texture, and overall flavor?
  7. Do you know what kind of bean you need to use for a specific coffee drink?
    Are you always up to date with the latest coffee trends?

It’s time, to be honest with yourself and comment below. Did you answer ‘yes’ to almost every question? Can we officially call you a coffee aficionado now? ☕️☕️☕️

6 comments

Comment

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

I failed your test at being a coffee aficionado, mainly because I don't drink coffee.

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2022

Haha! No worries, Brant. Appreciate your time and effort in taking the test when you're not even a coffee drinker :)

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2022

I answered yes to all your questions except for the second part of number 7, this was when I was in my 30's / 40's.  Now in my 60's I still drink coffee all day every day, only I just don't enjoy the fuss of the pursuit of the perfect cup any longer so now, I have a continuous heated at 208 kettle and drink premium instant.
Sadly, I have to admit the cost for premium instant works out to around 30.00lb ...

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2022

You're certainly a coffee aficionado even though you have switched to instant recently. And I agree, even premium instant has gone up let alone the premium beans! 

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2022

Yes to only 1 and 5. I have a Breville espresso barista machine that I use everyday. 

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2022

That's quite a machine! I would love to witness that aroma and smell every morning!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

Great post @Okan Erdogan - I only answered 1 question yes, so no I am not a coffee afficiando! But I do drink coffee everyday; it's just coffee that other people make such as STOK Cold Brew, various Keurig cups (recyclable ones only), Starbucks, and Dutch Bros! 

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Thanks @Summer_Hogan ! As long as you enjoy your coffee and it keeps you focused, that's all that matters! I love Keurig cups as well! Have a great rest of your week with enough coffee :) 

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

@Okan Erdogan great topic! I was away on vacation when this was published, please excuse the delayed response.

1. Do you usually spend more than $20 for a pound of coffee beans? And do you only buy whole beans?
    • Not a chance. I try to find good deals at Trader Joe's and on Amazon.
  2. Are you familiar with different roasts and can you tell what kind of bean is in front of you?
    • Familiar yes, able to discern, no.
  3. Do you always choose high-quality beans judging by the freshness, origin, brand, and harvesting method?
    • Freshness, origin and brand. Harvesting method is beyond my scope!
  4. Do you pay attention to the environmental factors of the origin of beans such as climate, soil, altitude, pests, and diseases as well as the handling of the plant?
    • I feel inadequate answering no here, but I have a lot to learn!
  5. Do you own a coffee roaster, grinder, maker, and various types of utensils?
    • Yes, yes and yes!
  6. Do you enjoy experimenting with different coffee grind textures that affect taste, texture, and overall flavor?
    • Being risk averse I generally try to find a winner and stick with it.
  7. Do you know what kind of bean you need to use for a specific coffee drink?
    Are you always up to date with the latest coffee trends?
    • See answer to #4. 🤐
Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

Hey @Andy Gladstone 

It’s good to have another coffee aficionado with us here. And no worries, I hope you had a nice vacation! I assume you did not enjoy the coffee on vacation as you did not have your equipment with you?! 😃

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

Israel is known for many amazing foods and beverages. Unfortunately coffee is not one of them.

Like Okan Erdogan likes this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

That's right! Now that you've mentioned, I'm craving everything from hummus to knafeh... 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Christian Happel September 16, 2022

I drink a lot of coffee, but answered almost all of your questions with a no. Sorry.

Like Okan Erdogan likes this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2022

No worries @Christian Happel ! As long as you get the work done with the help of a cup of fresh coffee, that's all that matters! 😃

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events