Who is your SciFi self?

Daniel Holmes October 4, 2018

A lot of people in technology are SciFi fans.  How did you get to be a fan, of what in particular and in particular what character do you most identify with?

For me, I'm a Star Trek fan and while I didn't watch it in its original run, when I was in high school in the mid eighties it was on Friday nights after the late local news (11:30PM).  I remember coming home after working at the supermarket and waiting to watch the USS Enterprise after my parents went to bed.  I have to say I was always a Mr Spock guy.  The episodes I liked the best were the ones where he ended up in charge of the ship and was making the (obvious to me) correct logical decisions while the rest of the crew was worried that he didn't seem to care enough about the situation and people involved.  The Tholian Web and The Galileo Seven are great Mr. Spock in command episodes.

While my emotional quotient has increased over time, I still agree with Mr Spock that logic over emotion results in better decisions in problem situations.

New Star Trek series came out after that and I watched them all, but it all started with late night reruns on Friday nights.

Live Long and Prosper

llap-leonard-nimoys-last-tweet-said-to-live-long-prosper

11 comments

Comment

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

I'm a huge Trekkie. I think I got into Star Trek because of my dad. He is a big Sci-Fi fan as well and it was something that we could share in common. Now that I have my own son it's something that we share as well. Recently, we've been going through Voyager together and it is just another way for him and me to connect. Maybe love of Sci-Fi will be something he can share with his kids as well.

I think if I were to identify with any Star Trek character is would be either Data or Geordi LaForge. I love how if those characters sat and thought about it for a while the could solve almost any problem. They had an ingenuity that made me admire them and I would like to think is a trait that I have.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2018

A few different characters from Blake's 7 I think. I'll let Nic guess which ones though

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2018
Bryan Bai October 4, 2018

see my avatar 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 4, 2018

@Bryan Bai is that Jedi Mickey??

Bryan Bai October 5, 2018

yes, also like stormtrooper Mickey. LOL

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2018

Kaylee Fry from Firefire. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 4, 2018

Oooh good one.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

tumblr_o4boqtZ3gf1tr2a1xo4_250

yesssss

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2018

I think my love of sci fi was sparked by consuming every book I could get my hands on as a kid. I also grew up on TNG, Battlestar, and and every bad 80s+ sci fi channel show and movie. 

I'd pick River Song from the current-ish doctor who iterations. She's smart, funny, and assertive. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2018

And I guess my 2nd pick would be Turanga Leela from Futurama. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2018

When I was a teen, started watching X-Files and have to say I was totally addicted. Watched every episode 5 times or more.... 

20 years later I still love the show and also the new episodes - although I still want to believe 🛸 it was always Special Agent Dana Scully that was my favourite. A cool, tough and very intelligent and of course sceptical woman! I pick her.

giphy

Daniel Holmes October 5, 2018

XFiles was great lights off just creepy enough TV that my wife wouldn't watch it.  Definitely a Scully fan.  Some character similarities with Mr Spock as well.

And a trivia note to tie it back to Star Trek.  In the Deep Space 9 episode where they went back in time to the original series tribble episode, the names of the two temporal investigations officers that look into the incident are anagrams for Mulder and Scully

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2018

Hi @Daniel Holmes - love this crossover trivia knowledge! Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2018

I‘ve been fascinated by Odo from Deep Space 9 - as a changeling, he can be whatever he wanted to be (but he has problems with the humanoid shape, which makes him even more likeable) - he‘s a mysterious creature, long time he thought, he‘s the only one of his species in the whole universe.

Something I can clearly understand 😄

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2018

Plus you get to sleep in a fancy vase.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2018

My parents are huge Trekkies so I grew up watch all the series and now I'm also a Trekkie. When I was a kid, I used to call Captain Picard "Grandpa Picard" instead.

I think I relate most to Ezri Dax, cause we're both just kinda trying to figure out what's going on... the difference being I don't have the memories of a parasite in my brain.

I actually cosplayed as Ezri for a Comic Con.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

Ah...my SciFi self....

I'm a cross between a certain bounty hunter (per my avatar) and a steampunk pirate. Why? Who knows....but if I want to identify as a pirate who chases bounty across the galaxy in an airship then so be it. 

I think this video started it...

https://youtu.be/H1mX8ptsmBM

....and don't forget Lindsey Stirling ;)

Deleted user October 9, 2018

Clara Oswald.jpg 

I really liked Clara Oswald of Dr. Who fame.  She was smart, articulate and willing to step into danger when it was needed.  Run you clever boy and remember me.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

@[deleted]Clara will remain one of my favorite Companions! I'm still hoping for a spin-off of Clara and Ashildr (aka Me, aka, A girl has no name.).

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2018

Anyone else love the new Doctor?? (no spoilers here for those who haven't seen it)

Deleted user October 10, 2018

I watched the global cast on Sunday and enjoyed it.  :-)

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2018

I missed it, but it's on my DVR :)

Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2019

I always found Robert Nevill from the I Am Legend book to be a fascinating and very relatable character (though i'd like to think i don't come with the alcoholism and other negatives!).

Well worth a read and very different to the movie!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events