What's your chronotype?

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 22, 2019

Are you a night owl or an early bird? 

whats-your-chronotype-1560x760.jpg

Being a morning person isn't the key to productivity (although many seem to think so!). Night owls can be just as productive as early birds — as long as they optimize their schedules around their body clocks.

Research has shown that up to 80% of us may work with a schedule that’s not in sync with our natural clocks  😲 And having a daily routine that doesn't match our internal clocks has been linked to poor mental performance and ability to make good decisions. Learning more about our chronotypes — circadian personalities based on our optimal time to fall asleep and wake up — could be the key to major improvements in our focus and productivity.

So what's your chronotype? Take the quiz here to find out, then learn how to optimize your work day around it. 

We'd love to hear any tips you have for optimizing your chronotype!

2 comments

Comment

Carl Rioux August 22, 2019

I would like to say neither, but end up being both. With three teens and work coverage that span from Europe to West Coast USA, my sleep is...what should I say...very little! But I did get used to it ages ago and now love my chronotype - the Night Bird...or is it Early Owl!? Now, the test states "middle type", I'll take it. :)

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 23, 2019

Ooof! It does sound hard to fit sleep into your schedule, @Carl Rioux! Any tips for managing a non-traditional schedule? Glad to hear you're used to it now and love your chronotype!

Carl Rioux August 23, 2019

Hi @Kristen Roth thank you for the comment. This was a great article and loved the test (hopefully you are getting good participation). Tips, can't do it without coffee, daily exercise, a good wind down night cap (a.k.a. gin tonic), and darkness (studies shows you get a better deeper sleep in complete darkness) so I wear a good quality eye mask, it took time to get used to it but recommended. 

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2019

First, thank you for posting this @Kristen Roth! I love doing these sorts of things, it makes me think and I usually end up learning something about myself.

When I first joined the workforce, I was working the evening shift on a Customer Support team.  (12pm - 8pm).  Being just out of school, a single guy and an avid video game player, I would come home, throw something quick together for supper and play games until 3-4am.  Get up at 10:30-11am and repeat the cycle.

When I was promoted to a senior on the team I was put in charge of coordinating with our German team, this meant now working from 7am-3pm.  This was a really hard change at first, but once I got used to it, I've never gone back.  Being finished work mid-afternoon allows me to schedule appointments around work without needing to take time off.  On weekends, I can get most of the chores done before my 2 year old son is awake so I can spend more time with him.

After taking the quiz it shows that I'm defiantly an early bird.  I think the key to success here is looking at your obligations and then finding the right balance between your natural clock and what you are required to accomplish in a given day.

Thanks again!

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
August 28, 2019

Thanks for reading, @Jimmy Seddon . I totally agree! Seeing what needs to be done in a day and then figuring when best to do it based on your natural clock is the key. 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events