What's that one thing "everybody" loves that you hate?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

Happy Friday Everyone!

I’ve like to thank @meghna_singh for the inspiration for this week’s Friday Fun post.  I’m sure there is some commonly accepted Foods or Beverages that everyone enjoys.

Donkey.jpg

However, I’m sure like me there is at least one thing that you just can’t stand, and everyone loses their marbles about it.

For me that is melons, yes including watermelon. 

I hate the taste, the texture and the overall experience.

So, what sort of quirky things do you hate, and it doesn’t have to be food related.  Maybe you hate the energizer bunny (I’ve got my eye on him too 😉)

welcome-bunnyus_725x700.png

Have a great weekend everyone!

22 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 19, 2020

I love cheese, but I hate cheese on burgers or sandwiches. I don't understand cheeseburgers at all. 

cheeseburger.gif

I also pick cheese off of pizza, although I like the flavor left behind by the cheese. 

I have never met anyone else who feels this way but I trust the community will not let me down.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

@Monique vdB I my disagree with you, but I respect your food choices!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 20, 2020

@Monique vdB Cheese is why I would eat the stuff you mentioned ;)

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

@Monique vdB I used to pick the cheese off the top of my pizza as a kid, eat it, and then the pizza separately. I stopped that habit after a few years, but it was my favorite thing to do. 😂 

Like Monique vdB likes this
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

I'm with you on no cheese on burgers. I, too, love cheese, just not on burgers.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Microwaved popcorn smells like vomit (yes, it does), so I'm not keen on that so much.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

See how I resisted adding any images there?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

@Matt Doar 100% agree with you.  I have both an air popper and an oil-based popcorn machine (yes I take popcorn seriously ;) )

Like Matt Doar likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2020

What about popcorn shrimp  though?  Is that ok?

(If you do follow the link, two points - that guy taught me to cook, which is why we never have people around for dinner, and turn the sub-titles on, they add a lot!)

Like # people like this
JiraJared
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2020

“Oh I think there’s a K in knucklehead” 😂 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2020

I hate chocolate. 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

that's just wrong. :-)

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Is it the taste or the feel or something else about it? Pretty rare that one!

Like Bridget likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2020

I know it is wrong. I just never liked it. Instead, it is really sour sweets. Love them so much 😊

Like Bridget likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2020

It is more about when I bite into chocolate, never did like it. 

Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 20, 2020

@Danny I used to hate and never ate it till I was in college. Also because it was a luxury then for us. Now I can eat most types of chocolates but still don't like white chocolates at all. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

I've never been a fan of chocolate either, but until recently all I had ever had was milk chocolate, and the cheap stuff at that. I still do not particularly like basic candy bars like Snickers, but have lately been enjoying dark chocolate. I'll get a good bar of >75% cacao, nothing fancy - maybe with sea salt or nuts. One of those bars can last me more than a week; I don't actually bite into it - I just eat one square, which I let melt on my tongue. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

it is hard for me to find any food I dislike much less ones that many do like. Two things I hate:

Mayonnaise on any form of sandwich, burger etc. Now I don't mind mayo combined in things.

Raisins in oatmeal (or any) cookies. I like them by themselves or in trail mix not in my cookies!!

destroy cookie monster GIF by Rachael Ray Show

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

I feel like the raisins in oatmeal cookies debate is about as heated as the pineapple on pizza one :D

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 19, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon pineapple and pepperoni pizza (with cheese peeled off) is my favorite! 

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2020

Agreed, I don't like raisins in cookies or other stuff, but don't mind them on their own.

Miguel Jesus _Team Files_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2020

I'm with you on the raisins XD but I don't even like them by themselves. XD

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2020

I quite like raisins in cookies, primarily "oatmeal cookies", but not biscuits (bear in mind my first language is English, not American English, so I'm not talking about the low-sugar, low-fat, scone type things)

I'm not that fond of sweet stuff, but when I am in the mood, raisins in Christmas pudding, plum duff and fruitcake are acceptable.  Pointless, but do not ruin it.

Most other things that have raisins in them - no.  I keep finding them in recipes for curries, savoury cous-cous, paellas, risottos and so-on. 

TLDR: I don't hate them, but I've never met a raisin that couldn't have been put to better use by being made into wine instead.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2020

Peas are the worst, peas are the worst, I hate looking at peas, I wanna smash it.

9971d3035acb4cac3a4f15feabdb674b.gif

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Mmm, I love mushy peas me 

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

This made me laugh out loud hahaha

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2020

Noooo, not mushy peas 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 19, 2020

of course @Matt Doar likes mushy peas, he's English... 😉 

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2020

People like peas?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

Yep - enough for them to be considered a "staple" in every food shop in the UK, Spain and India.

Like # people like this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 23, 2020

In India, yes we have peas in our cooked rice, potato & peas vegetable curry, peas only curry, samosas and snacks have them:

pea dishes.png

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2020

@Tamanna Godara I nearly forgot! You've got a great point. :) Samosas are one of my favorite foods, and I've never been bothered by the presence of peas there. 

Now I really want a samosa. 😋 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Sports

Like # people like this
Ahmad Pouei June 20, 2020

that made me laugh, hahahaaaah :)))

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2020

I should qualify that a bit.

It's more "watching sports".  When you don't actively play them (or at least used to or would love to if you weren't unable for some reason), what the hell is the point of watching other people play a game you don't?  Rather than spend hours watching someone do something that might be fun, why don't you just go do it yourself?

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- as a general rule I agree with you.  Which is why I don't watch many sports.  However, I enjoy watching things that I would never cream of competing in myself such as Ice Cross Downhill.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

This is how I feel about the whole Twitch stream thing. Even if you do play video games, unless you're stuck and need a walkthrough, why on earth would you want to watch someone else play?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 22, 2020

And the use of "we" when the team of choice wins (or not).

Sorry Sam, your moral support from your sofa while eating chips and drinking beer did not influence the movement of the ball through the hoop/across the line.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2020

@Esther Strom I can provide a bit of an answer to the Twitch streaming.  I don't watch regularly, but there are a couple of big events that support charities twice a year where as incentive to get people to donate some people do some very extraordinary things with video games. Such as being able to complete Super Mario World, blindfolded in less than 15 minutes!  I tune in to see some of these feats but just watching someone play games at a regular pace, I agree, I'll pass on that.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2020

Thanks, @Jimmy Seddon - I wasn't aware they did things like that. I can see watching something like that for charity. That's a nice use of tech.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I wholeheartedly agree. My one exception is I do enjoy watching some of the Olympics when they come around.

Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 20, 2020

I don't like mushrooms.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

I'm with you. Slimy, nasty things.

Like Tamanna Godara likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2020

I don't like beer. It was the first thing I ever drank in my life and I have not been able to stomach it since. I really wish I liked it though, but gave up trying it over the years :)

images.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2020

Jodi, you WIN because... damn!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2020

I know right?! So awful!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2020

"It was the first thing I ever drank in my life" - @Jodi LeBlanc does someone need to have a chat with your parents?  I'm kidding, and I totally get it.  I'm not much of one for beer either.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

Same! My uncle used to offer me sips of his beer when I was 3 or 4, and I've never been able to drink it as an adult. I've learned to like various ciders, since they're generally low-alcohol and easy to sip when everyone else is drinking beer. Otherwise, I'd be under the table after a few drinks, since I prefer mixed drinks.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2020

I totally agree @Jodi LeBlanc. I'll go slightly farther though ... I don't like any alcohol. Just not my thing.

Marketplace Partner
June 25, 2020

I don't really like beer either, but love ciders 

Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ June 22, 2020

Boomerangs. Not the beautifully designed traditional Aboriginal hunting weapons - the Instagram video 'blips' that EVERYONE seems to share these days. I posted one once, hated it. 

Food wise...vegetables. Give me salad or fruit, and i'm fine. Veggies, as in by themselves on a Sunday Roast? No thank you. My adult-self realises the need for veggies though, so I do cook with them, as long as they're 'with' something - like in a casserole. 

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

Mine is ice cream. In the summer, I'll go with a sorbet or granita; the dairy in ice cream is too heavy in hot weather. And in the winter, who wants to eat something cold anyway?

I do admit that I'm a sucker for a really good gelato, but that's hard to find around here and even then I have to be feeling it.

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

+ 1 for any kind of melons.

I don't like going out in the evening :) This is why I'm always scheduling dinners for 5 or 6 PM.

And I hate seafood. I just can't stand being near it, and I don't understand how the most expensive gourmet food always has "something fishy". Blah :D

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2020

I'm exactly the same.  Not a fan of any type of melon.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2020

Agree with everyone that said no melons, my husband and daughter can eat a whole watermelon by themselves over one or two nights. I don't care for it. They also both like seafood and I can't stand the smell of it.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2020

Cake and pie! Can't stand em.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

It's OK, the cake is a lie.

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
June 25, 2020

Cilantro!

I love parsley and cilantro is not used that much were I grew up, so I never really learned about it until I started travelling on my own.

the first time I tasted coriander I was so disgusted... I thought "this parsley is bad" (like rotten). Then I discovered it's a different plant altogether and it tastes a bit like soap to me. 

iu-3.jpeg

Like # people like this
Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ June 25, 2020

I tried making a 'crying tiger beef' dish the other week, and the relish included things like fish sauce (🤢), Worcester sauce (YUM!), spring onion...and coriander. It was absolutely vile. 

I tried to put on a brave face after convincing my boyfriend it was nice (I didn't think it was too bad in the beginning) but I had to give up after a few mouthfuls. It was definitely the coriander that made it taste so bad.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2020

@Miguel Jesus _Team Files_ studies have shown that is a genetic thing.  You either love it or it tastes like soap.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

I like coriander, but only in very small amounts, and preferably cooked.  Raw bunches of the stuff - yep, soap.  Stirred into a dish and simmered (a pinch if fresh leaves, or a good pile of dried and ground) as part of a range of spices - yum.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I was just going to ask if you meant cilantro because in the States coriander typically refers to dried seeds? Fortunately I looked it up first and learned something that I did not know. Apparently, coriander seeds and the leaves (cilantro) come from the same plant and apparently calling the stems and leaves cilantro is more of an North American thing.

Marketplace Partner
June 30, 2020

@Jimmy SeddonI've heard about it but thought it was sort of urban myth. definetily something to look into so my friends stop looking at me like I'm some sort of spoiled brat.

@Davin Studersorry for the confusion. I meant the leaves :) here in Portugal it goes all by the same name (coentros). we just add the seeds part when we mean those (sementes de coentros).

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

My garden has been overrun by the stuff since I planted a small pot a few years ago. I also am one who didn't know until recently that coriander is just cilantro seeds.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

@Davin StuderCoriander is one of those weird (north) Americanisms I've never quite understood on how it diverged.  Coriander across most of Europe is "the plant, and derivatives", and I don't know where "cilantro" came from.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- because I am, as mentioned in another comment, a language geek, I tried to find out where "cilantro" came from when I found out that it was the same plant as coriander. Apparently the word "cilantro" is actually the Spanish word for coriander, and since much of Central America was colonized by the Spanish, I think the term carried over and then migrated north. I have yet to figure out why there's a differentiation between the seeds and the live plant, though - if anything, I would assume that in these countries, both the seeds and the plant would be called cilantro.

I love these kinds of mysteries; the way language evolves in different parts of the world is so interesting.

Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 30, 2020

Here in Indian cooking, coriander is put in every vegetable curry. And we call it coriander irrespective of the fact whether it is seed or green or powdery. For example, if you are cooking a vegetable let's say potato and peas curry, you put coriander powder (seeds crushed) while frying onions. After the veggies are cooked you put freshly cut green coriander on top (dressing) of it and serve it.

In some recipes, we use seeds as a whole without crushing such as it provides a unique aroma to the dish. Here are a few examples.

I only like powdered/green leafy coriander, I can't handle the seeds at all.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2020

I like pork scratchings but most people in the California don't seem to like them. Maybe a cultural heritage thing.

JiraJared
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

When people use the word "yous" ... 

Like # people like this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 30, 2020

Like, thank yous.....so much

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2020

As in a plural you? I firmly believe that y'all should be officially added as the second person plural form for English. The fact that you is both singular and plural causes too much ambiguity. I minored in Biblical Greek in college and experienced first hand that when translating from Greek (really any language) to English often times knowing which "you" was in the original language makes a world of difference.

Like JiraJared likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

The distinction never really went away in the Yorkshire dialect. Thou, pronounced "tha" and "thee" are still heard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou#Current_usage

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

Oh, and when it's dialects - people who see signs like "Ye olde tea shop" and pronounce it as "Ye".  In the medieval English Y was pronounced "Th"

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

Hey youse guys... if I recall correctly, that's a Philly thing. There's an interesting article about the evolution of "you" in American English at AtlasObscura for language geeks (which I am; no disrespect!)

Like Matt Doar likes this
JiraJared
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

@Matt Doar 

what art thous up too this weekend? 😂 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

Text speak in places where you have the space to write properly.

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2020

Amen to that!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

Oh, yes. One of my pet peeves. Like it's really that difficult to type "you" instead of "u"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

One particular hatred is "ur"

This is the one I hold up as an example of why text speak should be excised.  "ur" comes out phonetically as "you are", and that is failing a lot of people.  Allow me to put it this way:

• Grammar:  The difference between knowing ur shit and knowing ur shit.
  • Grammar:  The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you are shit.

When you use ur in text speak, I have to assume the second meaning.

Like # people like this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
June 30, 2020

LOL

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
June 30, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon 

fantastic topic! When it was my turn to start the thread for Friday fun, I was struggling between this and 'tell me your quirks' :P 

I know I am late to the party, but I have to participate :D 

I HATE mushrooms and tofu. I just can't deal. 

I also don't like anything like gummy bears, marshmallows, and jelly. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

Mornington Crescent. 

I win!

Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2020

Haha This is such a fun topic  @Jimmy Seddon thank you for the mention. 

Here goes my weird list: 

1. Cheese - I absolutely despise it, the smell, texture, color, flavor -  in any form. 

2.  Stuffed Toys (Teddy Bears)- All I know is that if I have one in my room, it is going to turn its head towards me every time I sleep. (Chucky feels)

3. Sharing Food - I cannot share my share of food.
Please take another plate and get your own. 

4. I hate the energizer bunny too :D 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 17, 2020

@meghna_singh my daughter's two favorite things in the world are her stuffed animals and cheese. She might be your opposite twin. :) 

Like meghna_singh likes this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2020

@Monique vdB Awww! 

I tried to fit in the world for a long time but now I have made peace with it. hehe

Much love and hello to my little twin from the other side :D :) 

Capture.PNG

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2020

No scallops for me. Or most other seafood, honestly.

Khadiga AL-Gunaid September 7, 2020

I love isolation and staying at home and hate going out and socializing 😅

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2020

Me too! Although since the world is telling me I can't go out and socialize, I suddenly really miss it.

Like Kat Warner likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

Me too

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

I like to visit the underground museums and in country side as well

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events