What podcasts are you listening to right now?

mattjared
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2019

Like the title says: what podcasts are in your rotation right now? Here are some favorites I've been in to from the last few weeks.

The Ringer NBA Show

I've been diving deep into the NBA Playoffs, specifically the matchup between the Raptors and the Warriors in the NBA Finals and impending free agency this summer. The Ringer NBA Show has been a favorite for a bit but they've really hit their stride between the different hosts this year. This is great for a newbie NBA fan or the die-hard basketball junky. 

The Soundtrack Show

I stumbled on this one recently and have been going through back episodes as fast as I can listen. The host is an experienced musician and breaks down, in great detail, all the parts of famous film and TV scores and soundtracks. As a big Star Wars + Harry Potter fan the episodes where they break down the themes, actual musical theory and inspiration for the works has been a real delight. 

The Happier Podcast

Author and creator of the Four Tendencies framework for habit change, Gretchen Rubin, has an enlightening and fun podcast with her sister (a writer in LA). A quick and easy listen where I more often than not get a nice kick in the butt to take action or find a new way of thinking about becoming just a little more happy. 

Binge Mode

The ultimate companion podcast for the sci-fi + fantasy fan! Binge Mode started a few years back chronicling and breaking down every single episode of Game of Thrones in great detail. In between seasons of Game of Thrones they went through every single chapter of Harry Potter along with the accompanying films and Broadway show. The two hosts are hilarious and shed light onto story telling and fantasy elements of shows that I never realized before. 

19 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 30, 2019

I LOVE the New Yorker Fiction Podcast.

It's a monthly podcast where an Author published in the New Yorker selects and read a short story or excerpt from one of their favorite Authors. So good! 

In my favorite episode, David Sedaris reads a story by Miranda July. https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/fiction/fiction-podcast-bonus-david-sedaris-reads-miranda-july

Like Jamey Austin likes this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2019

Ooo! Oo! I'm going to review these suggestions

I've recently been driving more and have really been on a binge of newer ones, like Ologies where Allie, the host, talks to experts in the study of things

My classic favorites are (for 12 years now) The Moth and Dear Sugars. Both of these generally talk about human connections and experiences and always make me feel like I'm getting a new perspective on life.

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Erika Nunotani
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2019

Ologies is on my to-listen list!!

Erika Nunotani
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2019

So many. All the time.

Always listening:

• How I Built This - inspiring stories of how people "made it"
  • Criminal - interesting stories of how people have broken laws (not always about murder!)
  • This American Life - stories about people
  • 99% Invisible - focused on design and architecture
  • Freakonomics - discusses society and culture and economics
  • Today Explained - a good brief rundown on current news
  • Planet Money - talks about the economy

Some ones I've been exploring recently:

• The Drop Out - about the fall of Theranos CEO, Elizabeth Holmes
  • Reply All - discusses internet culture
  • AsianBossGirl - about being a young working Asian American woman
  • Invisibilia - discusses human behavior and emotions

Finished pods that are worth listening to:

• Serial - the podcast that got me to listen to podcasts
  • S-Town - investigative podcast about a man in a small town
  • Cold - a true story about domestic abuse and murder
  • Dirty John - really another story of a crazy guy

I definitely have the soul of a middle-aged woman who watches Dateline NBC late at night.

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2019

Ooo! yes +1 to This American Life

Like Erika Nunotani likes this
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2019

I, too, enjoy Freakonomics and Planet Money.

Like Erika Nunotani likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

I'm not actually much of a podcast listener, but after seeing some of the things listed here I think I'm going to have to start.  Thanks for sharing @mattjared

Like Monique vdB likes this
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
May 31, 2019

http://swindledpodcast.com/

A podcast that explores true cases of white-collar criminals, con artists, and corporate greed, utilizing narrative storytelling, archival audio, and immersive soundscapes.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

My favorite podcasts are:

Razbor Poletov (RUS)

Week in Google

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2019

One that really cracks me up is "My Mum Has Seen a Movie". They are short episodes, around 15 minutes each, and they feature a guy and his mother talking about films that she has seen at the cinema. May not sound like much, but they can be quite hilarious. There's a bit of language in it, but generally not too bad.

Like # people like this
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2019

My rotation consists of various political/news podcasts, a couple of gaming podcasts (if you are interested in game design and how the mechanics of a game actually *work* and interact with eachother and the player, I highly recommend The Crate and Crowbar). I also like Reply All (podcast about Internet culture), Kaiju podcast (hosted by Jorge Garcia (Hurley from LOST) about bad monster movies), and Sawbones (about weird medical practices throughout history. Very funny). Also, special mention to an episode of Talk is Jericho from this week where he interviews a former WWE wrestler (Dean Ambrose, now known as Jon Moxley) about all of the backstage chaos that led to him leaving WWE. Highly recommended if you are now or have ever been a wrestling fan. Welcome to Nightvale is also very good if you want more of a radio drama than a discussion- its kind of like The Twilight Zone. There is continuity, so if you start listening to it, start at episode 1.

Celina Zamora May 31, 2019

Oh em gee! This makes me so happy, because I'm slowly adopting favorite podcasts and love all these suggestions. 

I really love motivating and educational podcasts at the moment, but have a pretty crazy combo of faves, including: 

• Super Soul Conversations with Oprah (so many great people on there) 
  • Journey to Authenticity with Dr. Sarah Hart
  • Bottom of the Map (hip hop conversation and its impact with 2 amazing women named Christina Lee and Dr. Regina Bradley)
  • Armchair Expert with Dax Sheperd
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
May 31, 2019

Yes! Super Soul conversations with Michael Pollan was transformative for me! Made me think about so many great things.

Dax Sheperd's interview with his wife, Kristen Bell, is maybe one of my favorite all time podcasts. The one with Chelsea Handler is also really good!

Celina Zamora May 31, 2019

Yes, soooo good! 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 31, 2019

My true love is pop culture podcasts!

Extra Hot Great is a TV podcast that I've been listening to for many years. They talk about shows, play TV-themed games, and are generally entertaining. I was just listening to it on my commute in! 

Recently, they had the hosts of I Hate It But I Love It on as guests and I immediately subscribed. It's about guilty pleasure movies that you half-hate and half-love, and I immediately listened to the episodes on Love Actually, Notting Hill, and Julie & Julia, three of my favorite flawed movies that I've seen at least 20 times each.

The Flop House is about bad movies and the hosts are really funny; two of them wrote for The Daily Show in the Jon Stewart era. (I recommend the episode about the Oogieloves and the Big Balloon Adventure.) Similarly, How Did This Get Made? which features the hilarious Jason Mantzoukas.

How could I forget 2 Dope Queens, speaking of Daily Show alums! It is sadly no longer producing new episodes regularly.

I have been meaning to re-read Harry Potter and listen to that podcast that goes through the entire series chapter by chapter. One of these days....

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Max Cascone June 25, 2019

+1 to 2DQ! I am probably not the intended audience, but I loved it.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2019

Wow this thread will be my go-to-list of podcasts from here on out, so many shared! :) I am a big fan of the Tim Ferriss Show podcast and Chopra's new Daily Breath podcast. Also, started listening two Becoming Better, from author of The Productivity Project - there are only 5 episodes so far :)

Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2019

Adding a couple of mine ...

Daily Tech news show

Tom Merritt's home for daily tech news. Stay up to date with independent, authoritative and trustworthy tech news.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/daily-tech-news-show/id790864884

The one you Feed

"This podcast saved my life"- Amy W

Conversations about Creating a Life Worth Living. Open minded discussions of habits, meditation, wisdom, depression, anxiety, happiness, psychology, philosophy, and motivation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-one-you-feed/id792555885

Omega Tau

How do scientists uncover phenomena and explain their connections? How do engineers design machines, methods and infrastructure? At omega tau, experts give detailed answers. Over the last ten years, we have produced 300 episodes in which we dug deeper, until we ran out of questions. Join us on our journey through the world of science and engineering: the closer you look and listen, the more interesting things get.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/podcast-en-omega-tau-science-engineering-podcast/id350159142

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2019

The ones I tend to listen to cater more to the skeptic/atheist world... they mostly cover off news, daily life, etc in that realm. Note that, from the ones I listen to, as one of them states up front, "The explicit tag is there for a reason". That said, they are done by some very sharp and incisive individuals:

The only problem with these is, when commuting on motorcycle and listening on Bluetooth in my helmet, I've found myself laughing so hard when sitting at a traffic light that I am sure other drivers thought I was having a seizure of some sort.

Also, for a good shot of news to get your day started NPR Up First is great.

Dan Sherwood June 21, 2019

Stuff I usually listen too are:

• More or Less - BBC podcast about statistics in the news and their origins
  • The Real Story - BBC podcast, in-depth current affairs
  • The Briefing Room - BBC podcast about a certain topic aimed at new people
  • Atomic Hobo - Podcast about what life could well be like in the event of a nuclear holocaust
Max Cascone June 25, 2019
Niels Dimmers June 28, 2019

Since I'm Dutch, I listen to a lot of Dutch podcasts ("de brand in het landhuis", "Tweakers", "Van twee kanten", "NRC Vandaag", "Universiteit van Nederland"), but some English recommendations:

• Reply All by Gimlet, IT investigations with really interesting stories and high quality work
  • No such thing as a fish, the QI crew sharing funny and interesting facts
  • The bottom line, BBC's podcast about business
  • The daily from the new york times

One special recommendation, Vasco Duarte interviews scrum masters and agile leaders about scrum in the podcast "Scrum master toolbox", at times it is a bit repetitive, but some of them do give you new insights.

Like Max Cascone likes this
Michel Ferreira
Atlassian Team
June 30, 2019

Hey Matt - 

I'm a fellow NBA fan so I listen to all The Ringer podcasts (still excited about the Raps win by the way - Go Raps!)

I recommend:

- The Bill Simmons Show (he goes wide and random talking about sports and culture and food and mixing all The Ringer's things in one podcast)

- The Rewatchables (this one is quite unique since they talk about movies that younger people may not have seen)

I also just listen to the NBA ones like "The Jump" and "The Starters" (RIP - this podcast just closed their 6 year run and will be resetting soon somewhere else. For now they're known as "The Free Agents")

- Hot Takedown by fivethirtyeight (quite interesting look at sports via their analytics and algorythms) 

Thanks for sharing

Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2019

I don't have too much time for podcasts (i'm fortunate to have a very short commute currently!) but i always make sure to catch the following;

The Giant Bombcast 

The Giant Beastcast 

Beautiful Anonymous 

Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Syntax.FM is my favorite podcast! Lots of great web development advice, and I listen to every episode.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events