What is your fitness mantra? How do you keep yourself fit?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2019

For this week's Friday Fun I thought it might be good to know how everyone in the community keep themselves fit.

So how do you keep yourself fit? Do you go to Gym or you do yoga or something different?

Share your fitness mantra.

When it comes to me, I do yoga early in the morning (around 05:00 AM).

After completing yoga, I go for jogging with my dogs and after office I go to the gym in the evening :-)

36 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Serena Mason October 24, 2019

During the week, I got to the gym 3 nights per week.  On the weekend, I am on a dragon boat team and get plenty of sunshine and exercise during practice!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 25, 2019

@Serena Mason a "dragon boat team" please tell me more! What is a dragon boat!

Like # people like this
MAMOONA MAZHAR
Banned
October 27, 2019

how i join this team

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

"Dragon boat team": Is this a 22 member team who operate the boat?

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

I used to Dragon boat, it's so much fun - and a great team sport!  Here's a photo to get a visual (an image of Dragon Boat Racing in Ottawa)

download.jpg

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

@Jodi LeBlancMy God! Is there anything related to fitness that you haven't done! :-P

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2019

LOL @Deepanshu Natani I have never played polo, I have played lacrosse and cricket which seem a bit similar, but without the horses :)

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2019

Ha ha ha!!

@Jodi LeBlancJust when I thought I know all of your superpowers, you come up with another one: You know how to play Lacrosse!!

If you continue like this, I may start a superwomen comic/ series on you :-P

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2019

Lol @Deepanshu Natani you are so kind! :) Thank you! I am definitely not a superwoman, just love trying new things and challenging myself :)

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2019

:-)

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2019

Feel for the fitness keeps on changing for me, sometimes I am so much into running and gym that I do it for 7 days a week, and sometimes I only like to sleep (to stay away from the people).

But one thing I do everyday is write a piece of code. Code is my brain tonic, it sets my mood for the day. The best mental exercise you can do.

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

I don't really like intense sports. There are treadmills and fitness equipment on the top floor of the company, but I almost never use it.

Usually I like to stick to a slow step of about 10 kilometers per day, and I will do a 3-minute push-up.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

Slow and steady wins the race :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

Lovely, lovely, favorite topic @Deepanshu Natani !

Keeping myself active and healthy is my top priority, and it helps me be much more productive in my work, keeps my mood better, and I'm confident that I'm constantly in good shape :)

I'm exercising about 5 to 6 times weekly, so each morning at 8 AM, I am the CrossFit gym. Intense workouts became my passion, and I'm not afraid of weights or muscle mass. Each gram of body muscule is a win! :D

I also run 5 to 10 km from time to time, and I take long mountain walks and hikes whenever it's possible.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

Wow @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ I am super impressed with your fitness regimin! :)

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 25, 2019

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ wow! I do the opposite of all of that. 🤣

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

Really impressed with your fitness schedule and your mantra "Each gram of body muscle is a win".

Would love to discuss more on this if we meet someday at Atlassian Summit :-)

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Wow indeed!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

I used to do heavy weights at the gym and played tennis and soccer, however in the past few years I have changed my routine to 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I walk my dog, do yoga, SUP, hand weights, and bosu. I have been on the road for weeks now and living out of hotels so I throw a resistance band in my bag for quick workouts, and ensure I get at least 10k steps, even if I have to walk up and down the stairs at my hotel at the end of the night to get in the remaining steps. When I am extra tired I ensure I push myself to exercise into my day, as hard as it is on those days I feel much more energy afterwards.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc you and me - looks like a perfect match for workouts and health care! I also have at least 10k steps daily. Living in front of the PC is no joke, we have to keep ourselves active, cook, and pick food wisely, get enough sleep, and voila - a recipe for a great day! :)

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2019

This seems like my ideal workout! I wish we had calmer water around here where I could SUP. This summer we were at a lake in Ontario and I was using a family member's SUP for sunrise paddles and it was SO DREAMY. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

I completely agree Teodora, sitting is the new smoking so alternating between sitting and standing and walking helps tremendously. I tend to take my calls while walking, it helps me listen and think better than sitting at my desk, and less multitasking too.  Love that "recipe for a great day"!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Sounds lovely Bianca, it's a five sense experience for sure. It's my favourite form of exercises as well, because it doesn't feel like exercise - just all around fun!

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ @BiancaE : Now I think you 3 can initiate a fitness session at Atlassian Summit and inspire all the participants :-)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2019

Last year's Summit had a limited space available "Get Fit with Atlassian" optional that you could join.  I was at both of them.  The first day was a run with about 30 other attendees up the Vegas strip and back.  The other was Yoga on the beach in from of one of the pools.

I'd definitely be up for doing something either official or unofficial again!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

Sounds good to me @Deepanshu Natani! :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2019

That would be fun, and I would love to do the yoga on the beach as a group!

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ @Jodi LeBlanc @Jimmy Seddon @BiancaE and me !

Seems like we already have 5 attendees for the yoga on beach :-)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

Always there for the fitness :)) I'm enjoying this more than all other gatherings.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

I'll participate, but I don't think what I'll be doing will be considered yoga.  It's more like a struggle to resemble something that looks kinda like yoga.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2019

@Jimmy Seddon same here, lol. Hoping to go next year.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

This is a great topic @Deepanshu Natani!

I'm not one for morning workouts.  I wake up and go to work (I'm usually in the office by about 6:30 am). 

When I get home, I will take the dogs on about an hour walk each day.  Later at night (8:30-9pm) I'll hit the treadmill I have in the basement for 30 mins to an hours while watching something on the TV I mounted on the wall. 

The exception is Tuesdays & Fridays in the winter when I'm curling in the winter, and Tuesdays & Thursdays in the summer when I play on a baseball team.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

Your schedule amazes me every single time :)

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

You have a great schedule @Jimmy Seddon

I find very few people who wake up and are in office so early :-)

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

I don't have a scheduled regimen, but I love doing short workouts with my Fitbit! I also have a gym membership for when I feel like weights or other machine work is needed - also for winter months when I can't actually get outside to run/walk.

I have a 7 year old boxer/terrier mix that loves going on walks. Last night I even ran with him around the block just to burn off more steam! As winter here in Minnesota approaches, I'm trying to get him outside now as much as possible because he's a wimp in colder weather.

I did a StepBet earlier this summer and crushed it with hitting 10k-20k every day for 6 weeks. It was rough, but I'm glad I did it! I've carried some of those habits over, but I'm lucky now if I hit 5k a day. Sad. I also track what I eat pretty well (even if its not good for me) and have a overall balance of maintaining my current stats.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

Cool @carrie_eandm are you on for another StepBet? We can start one for our community.

And how do you track what you eat? Do you use any particular app? I have used some but haven't been able to find the perfect one till now.

Like Himanshu likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

@Deepanshu Natani I'd totally be up for another StepBet! It held me in check and actually challenged me to get out and move.

I use FitBit's app to track my lifestyle (food, workouts, water, etc). It's great when I actually enter things - lately I've took a slide on entering, but I'm getting back on track this week.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

@carrie_eandm10 k per day?

Like Himanshu likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2019
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2019

Wow! How do we track? Do you suggest any app? @carrie_eandm 

Like Himanshu likes this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

I work with a trainer for 30 mins M and W, then get on my treadmill at least 3 of the other days of the week for 20 mins. I also use my fitbit to track steps (8k a day goal) and to remind me to move every hour.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

This is cool @Dharma Ramos 

Like Himanshu likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 25, 2019

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week for cardio, generally on the treadmill or elliptical. I took Pilates for a while until the studio near me changed owners and got an instructor I don't like. I'll try a different instructor at some point. I take hikes to look at birds, and do yoga at home. For me it's most important that I do something consistently, even if it's not anything major, and I've been consistent in my gym-going for a good three years now! 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

@Monique vdBI also feel that the most important thing in fitness is - we need to do something consistently.

In past, many times when I used to visit the gym, I actually didn't feel like doing any major workout. But I made one thing sure that I didn't skip the gym.

And this really helped. Now I enjoy my workout sessions :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

Wow, all these gym people!  Very admirable.  I run and have been doing so for 40+ years. Have done 9 marathons, many half marathons and countless 10ks.  Now I just run for the sheer love of running, plus the benefit that it keeps me fit. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 25, 2019

9 marathons! I already knew you were a queen but wow!

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

@Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_9 Marathons!!! You are an inspiration.

Hats off to you :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

This is great! I like running a lot, but there are times when I'm just bored from 1+ hours of running (maybe the wrong choice of an audiobook have some fault here) :) You are a machine!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2019

I try to keep my lifestyle active so I don't have to go to the gym or take classes, as I often get bored and really distracted in them. In my ideal week, I walk my dogs 45 minutes twice a day, ride my bike to work  (30-45 minutes total), and take a yoga class to stretch everything out. Maybe throw in a run at the dog beach or a strength training class to build a bit of muscle. I would say I usually keep to the above 75% of the time! 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

This is cool @BiancaE .

Like Himanshu likes this
Celina Zamora October 25, 2019

My team can account for me talking about this maybe a little too often. I love this topic, because it's truly become a saving grace for me.

I realized that my wellness and overall health is the best gift I can provide my kids and myself. My parents have had health issues (cancer and heart disease), and seeing them in pain and discomfort has been incredibly difficult.

I know it becomes more difficult as you get older to adapt to new habits, and now being in my late 30s, my body reminds me daily that I need to be on top of how I take care of myself. So I made a daily routine into a life habit. I protect my schedule and have my workout dedicated every morning before I roll into work. It provides clarity, patience, and just makes me feel that much stronger. 

I do a mix of heavy lifting, spin, and now pilates. I love being active and feel so empowered. My daughters also recognize the value of taking care of themselves and incorporating that into their lives, which is such a win for me. They see themselves in me, and so I walk the walk and stay away from body shaming or negative comments. 

I also eat pretty clean, I have gluten and dairy allergies, so I try to stay on track especially when it was confirmed that I needed to stay away from certain foods (bummer, but there are so many delicious alternatives out there). In the past year, I have completely reshifted the way I live my life to drive a more intentional approach towards being healthy and strong. It's not about the number, but about how I feel internally and the strength I take with me every single day. 

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

A lot of what you wrote resonated with me. Health concerns from close family members + getting older myself + wanting to be there for my daughter. And I am also happy that she gets to see me walking the walk and knowing that I am doing it because I want to be healthy, no body shaming, no yo-yo diets, just me trying to be healthier for myself and for her.

Like # people like this
Celina Zamora October 25, 2019

Yes! It's amazing how that works--we empower our little ones, which in turn empowers us. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 25, 2019

"They see themselves in me, and so I walk the walk and stay away from body shaming or negative comments." Amen to this @Celina Zamora! Mina knows that bodies come in all shapes and sizes! 💖

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

just one word for you @Celina Zamora : Wow!!

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2019

I’m feeling very sedentary reading your fitness routine 🤣

I only do pilates twice a week and that’s it. I don’t like the gym, I already tried three times but I don’t like to go alone so I gave up.

I take care of my health mostly with food, since I became vegetarian and then vegan I’m eating a lot of good stuff and it made me feel better.

I was thinking about Spinning classes, maybe I’ll put this on my new year’s resolution 😅

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

@Angélica Luz I hate the gym too.  That's why I built my own :D

Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

@Angélica Luz I'm going to spinning once a week and in the group, it is absolutely awesome! :) So, try it out :) 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

@Angélica LuzIt is said that our fitness depends 80% on what we eat and 20% on exercise.

So you have already taken care of the 80%. :-)

You can also try Yoga. Many of my friends who didnt like Gym love Yoga.

Like # people like this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

Mostly I just try to keep up with the kids at scouts, but we do try to go to the gym every morning for 30-40minutes of cardio followed by 30-40 minutes of weights. We have about a 50% success rate LOL

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

thrice a week is actually very good @Jeff Tillett  :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

Great topic and it's awesome to hear about everyone's different routines, thanks everyone for sharing!

Here in the midwest, my fitness scheduled is soley based on seasons since it goes from -20 to 100 degrees within 3 months 🤣 In the spring/summer/fall, I am usually in the gym about 3 times a week for an hour each doing 30 minutes of lifting and 30 minutes of cardio. I play in leagues for golf, volleyball & basketball and occasionally run in 5k's for charity purposes. But... during the winter I am in the gym 5-6 times a week. Although that's is my schedule, the key to success starts in the kitchen. 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

@Thomas B  "the key to success starts in the kitchen" you have said the most important thing for any fitness routine :-)

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Hello @Deepanshu Natani

Below is my routine, keeps me sane:

Mon: Gym - Strength Training

Tues: Swimming - circuits

Wed: Gym - Strength Training

Thurs: 10km run

Fri: recovery Swim

Sat: Parkrun 5km

Like # people like this
MAMOONA MAZHAR
Banned
October 27, 2019

I like your routine

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

Cool!!

Like Himanshu likes this
Juan Ramón Alonso
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

I agree! Very cool... But I'd put a bit of bike on Sunday :D

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

Lovely!

Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Good one @Deepanshu Natani 

I manage to set time aside for fitness,  i ensure i go for swimming atleast twice a week and play badminton during weekends.

However , i dont restrict myself much when it comes to food, stopping myself from esting something i like actually puts me into stress, so when i eat heavy i make sure i swim or play for additional hours :)

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

This is cool @Vinod Ramadoss 

Swimming actually helps a lot :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

Until recently I used to bike to work. I just moved 35 minutes farther away and now biking is un-realistic. : ( However, I still try to eat well and stay active.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

@Davin Studer 

Eating well and clean is the first thing to ensure fitness.

May be you can try adding a bit of biking in the evening after office :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2019

I try to get some exercise in each day but it usually ends up just happening a couple times a week.  I got younger children to keep me moving and active after I get home from work.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2019

Even couple of times a week is cool :-)

Like Himanshu likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2019

Me:

Image result for couch potato

Like # people like this
Dara October 30, 2019

Oef.. After reading this thread I was starting to feel like I was the only one (and also a bit judged). Thankx @Kat Warner  :)

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

@Kat Warnerha ha ha!! one of the coolest replies in this thread :-D

Like # people like this
Yatika Manchanda
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2019

i love to do yoga first thing in the morning. Apart from that cycling is my second favourite when it comes to do some physical activity. Fitness mantra for me is to do whatever excercise u like but do it consistently. 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2019

I agree that consistency is the key to any fitness activity!

Like Himanshu likes this
Pritam Kumar November 3, 2019

I prefer to play games like badminton and table tennis on weekdays and going out for physically intensive activities like photography, biking, trekking etc on weekends. 
Moreover, i have made small adjustments in my daily life to prioritise physical activities over convenience. For example, walking to get items from nearby places. Prefer stairs over lift and escalators. Carry out some household chores on my own.
All these changes helps me avoid sedentary lifestyle without having to indulge into activities like going to gym. The end result is a balanced lifestyle with consistent habits which can be continued throughout our life as it is not dependent on subscription/location of gym, people or availability of time. 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

@Pritam KumarMaking changes in our lifestyle is one of the best way to keep ourselves fit. I agree that making small adjustments in daily life really helps a lot.

Himanshu November 4, 2019

I prefer cycling in the morning time and after that some cardio and calisthenics.

In the evenings I go to play football

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

@HimanshuFootball!! Cool, so we have a football player also in the community :-)

badalsharma31 November 4, 2019

Some time before I was into swimming. than I joined dance classes. now these days i go to cycling in the morning and gym in the evening.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

@badalsharma31 

Cool, my be I can join you for cycling someday :-)

Shaun Sheehan November 5, 2019

Aside from the gym, walking and hiking are great for my mental, spiritual, and physical fitness.  Forest-bathing always bring me back to center! 

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

@Shaun Sheehan

What is "Forest-bathing"? I would really like to know a more about it and your experience with it.

Shaun Sheehan November 8, 2019

@Deepanshu Natani ... If you Google it, there is also a Japanese term for it: shinrin-yoku.  It's taking a walk or hike, in the forest and setting all worldly worries and troubles behind to immerse yourself in the sights, scents, sounds, and tactile elements of the forest.  Feel the moss, hug the trees, listen to the sounds of nature, soak in the dappled sunshine streaming in through the leaves... being fully present and open... it's pure Heaven. 

I may go in feeling stressed or beaten down by the day, but I come out feeling refreshed, relaxed, and energized!

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2019

This seems like a must to activity. Will plan on doing this soon :-)

Like Panos Kouvelis likes this
Panos Kouvelis November 20, 2019

Apart from supporting the The biophilia hypothesis, there are evidence that this is actually one of the best things to do @Shaun Sheehan .

As a sound designer reading your answer, I wanted to add that it's not only the sounds coming from nature, but your own sense of hearing that perceives the vastness of the open fields from the delayed echoes and diffused reflections of the various acoustic events, that gives your brain the definitive signal of openness.

You cannot have that when you just listen to nature sounds from headphones.

Imagine sound being like water, and your psychology a fish that grows larger when the bowl allows it. That's the effect of open nature in your psychology regarding acoustics.

Let me guess, you can have the best clear thoughts out there and usually you either have a peaceful empty mind or very specific resolved thoughts of things that really matter. Am I right?

Very nice suggestion and an excellent way to stay balanced!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events