What is your favourite city in the world that you have visited, and why?

Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 22, 2022

For me, it is Rome, Italy. I visited Rome last year for a week and absolutely fell in love with everything the city had to offer!

The entire city is practically a museum; every brick tells a different story! I spent most of my time exploring the historic monuments and museums, but I still feel that 7 days were NOT enough to experience everything in entirety. 

Apart from the historic significance of the city, I just loved how friendly the people were. The energetic vibe of the city is very intoxicating.

Another BIG plus was the amazing Italian food (of course). I had the best Spaghetti Carbonara of my life there and definitely the best Gelato ever! Gained about 2 kgs in one week because of the 5 meals a day routine, but it was absolutely worth it.

And lastly, I became absolutely obsessed with the Trevi fountain. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've witnessed till date. And I spent quite a lot of time just admiring its beauty, but still couldn't do justice to what it actually deserved.

d91a6ddf-1ec3-45d1-b3b1-bfe027c246dd.jpeg

So what is one city that you fell in love with after you visited it, and why? 

Would love to hear your experiences! 

15 comments

Comment

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2022

I loved Naples for similar reasons! The food is amazing in Italy - you can spend the whole day grazing. Went to Pompei and Amalfi coast from there which is why it's one of my favourite cities / regions. I have still have much of Italy left to explore though!

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 22, 2022

That's a common thread for people who visit Italy. The place always leaves you breathless and wanting for more! 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 22, 2022

@Stuart Capel - London I absolutely loved Pompeii - and Florence! And Venice! 

Like # people like this
Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

Oh, my dream is to visit Norway and Iceland. The landscape, views and nature are wonderful there, as for me) I would like to explore every corner of this land.

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2022

I just came back from Norway - it's breath-taking!

PXL_20220712_161101274.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 22, 2022

WOW omg that is stunning.

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

That view is indeed something to behold! 😍 Is there a particular place in Iceland or Norway that is a must visit for you? I am gonna be traveling to Oslo, Copenhagen, and Lund very soon, so thought it might be worth asking 😅

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2022

Oh yes, you just named to of the absolute top destinations on my bucket list as well - Norway and Iceland. Together with Canada and Australia. I'll definitely need some kind of savings plan to get all of that done some day!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

I've been to cities.  Not much of a fan.  I prefer the country or the mountains.
523132_4636699352998_1499158889_n.jpg

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

To each their own I suppose! :) I am more of a city wanderer, sprinkled with a mix of an excursion into the outskirts. What is your favourite place to visit in the countryside?

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

Hey don't get me wrong I've been to enough cities to know that I prefer the country.  As  for cities I would have to say Montreal is probably my most liked.  As for the countryside I'd say the foothills of northern New Brunswick.

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

@Umer Sohail _K15t_ it really is hard to say or pick a favorite.  Much like you I've done a lot of wandering.  Most of it in Canada but I've been abroad as well.  I've been sharing some things due to the Plant A Tree initiative Yay @Monique vdB .  So here's some more mostly trees.  This is all northern Quebec Canada where it meets the north Atlantic and some of the interior ... Funny story we got onto the north shore from the ferry and turned towards the coast after about 600km the road ran out.... The GPS told us nothing.  We found a Bed and Breakfast and doubled back the next day, headed into the interior and went up (where the trees don't grow) and around into Labrador and then onto Newfoundland.
21457856_10213716462563331_1020163696840100754_o.jpg21319244_10213706845762917_3481537862904125453_o.jpg21427524_10213701897559215_2566025371251359127_o.jpg21318899_10213701771756070_675416380211534227_o.jpg21366709_10213701760755795_1138254003251124815_o.jpg21368927_10213701752435587_2879015395656638737_o.jpg

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
August 5, 2022

@Craig Nodwell  Wow! Those are some really awesome photos! And did you think about naming this newly discovered area? :D 

It would be cool to have something along the lines of Craig-ville or Nodewell-land on the map! :p 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2022

lol

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

My favourite city still is Krakow, in Poland.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 18.02.47.png

Maybe it is not the most beautiful city I've ever visited - I did like the museum isle in Berlin, or Ljubljana, Barcelona, Lisbon, Riga or Rome. But often it's the memories that even matter more than the scenery.

I went there back in 2011, just shortly after I joined my current company on our annual company weekend. We ended up in some kind of jazz cellar there where a band was playing. During the concert's break, some of our colleagues spontaneously jumped on stage and started playing songs by request, completely unrehearsed. It still is one of the most impressive and personal experiences I am carrying with me until today.

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

That's such an amazing story! I love Krakow as well, mainly because it is such a lively student city! 

And I completely agree, it really is the time you spend and the experiences you have that makes a city really special! :)

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2022

@Walter Buggenhout - Nice to see that you mentioned Krakow. It is indeed a lovely and unique city! :)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

I'm going to be a bit of a homer here, but NYC has an emotional hold on me. There are certainly MANY things wrong with NYC, but what I like to focus on is it being the melting pot of the nation. So many immigrants started their journey in NYC that the diversity of ethnicity and experiences is unparalleled elsewhere. As a culture buff, I love visiting the museums, walking through Central Park, Little Italy, Chinatown, The Lower East Side, etc. There is always something new and interesting to experience. I used to take a random day off to explore, and have not done that in about 8 years. Thanks @Umer Sohail _K15t_ for rekindling the idea - I'll make sure to do it again soon!

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

You're welcome 😄 I have heard absolutely amazing things about NYC, especially how it has this knack of being very accepting and accommodating towards people from all over the world! 

I am sure such a diverse population makes it a really cool city to live in 🙂 I hope to visit it some day soon 🗽

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 22, 2022

So what is one city that you fell in love with after you visited it, and why? 

grand_place.jpeg

I absolutely love this question. I've been to a lot of cities, and Amsterdam is the city of my heart, but my answer is Brussels.  The first time I saw the main square, it brought tears to my eyes. Plus it has amazing food (waterzooi! waffles! Neuhaus chocolates!) and a restaurant (In het Spinnekopte) older than the United States.  Plus Mini Europe is there and Mini Europe is one of my favorite things ever. 

(I almost said Antwerp because of hearing Flemish everywhere (in Brussels you get a bit more French than Flemish) plus my two favorite bars on earth, the Kulminator and De Vagant.  But I'll never forget the beauty of Brussels so I had to go with that.) 

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

I can sense a lot of passion in your answer🤗

It really is an amazing feeling when a city's sheer beauty just moves you to tears and renders you speechless! 🥺 I remember the same thing happened to me when I visited Toledo, Spain - for a while I was just struggling for words to describe its astounding architecture and history.

I have been to Brussels but only on a very short work visit. After your description, I will have to explore it more meticulously the next time I am there! ☺️

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2022

Allright @Monique vdB! 🇧🇪🍟🍻

Like # people like this
Gia Jgarkava August 3, 2022

For me also Amsterdam is THE CITY. Even though almost all my life I've lived in a sunny country with a lot of mountains and I got used to that really really much, imagine how I should have been captivated by Amsterdam, not to miss the Sun and mountains at all during living there for up to 1.5 years! :)

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
August 5, 2022

@Gia Jgarkava 

Yeah Amsterdam is really something else!  Those beautiful bridges over the canals and the river Amstel and just the general vibe of the city is incredible. 🚲🌷

But I particularly love Amsterdam because of the Van Gogh museum (full exposure, I am a HUGE Van Gogh fan!) 🎨

Btw have you also visited Utrecht? I feel like it's a mini version of Amsterdam - equally beautiful but A LOT less crowded :)

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
July 22, 2022

I think my favorite city in the world has to be Hanoi, Vietnam. It is as humid as it is full of life. The food is fresh and spicy, and the people are welcoming and open. It has an extremely long and storied history, tracing back to the third century BCE. 

In a past job, I had to travel to Vietnam a lot to host conference and hang out with our local community members. I have such nice memories of traveling alone in Vietnam after those work trips, and really getting to know the various cities. Go to Hanoi if you have the chance! 

hanoi_2.jpeg

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

Thanks for such an awesome description of Hanoi! I am glad you loved it so much! 

I have a couple of very cool Vietnamese friends here in Germany, so I can see why you loved to hangout with them and explore the country. Will definitely put this beautiful place on my travel list for the future! ☺️

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

One of my favorite cities is our nations capital DC (even though DC is not a city). I love going there and learning about our nations history, visiting all the museums, visiting all the monuments, attending a session of congress and meeting representatives and senators, taking tours of the White House, Pentagon and Capital Building and seeing all the beauty there! One of my favorite things to do there is to go to Arlington Cemetery and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is such a great place to visit especially for those who have never been! 

Pic 1.jpgPic 2.jpgPic 3.jpg

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2022

Wow, that really sounds amazing! 😍 USA has such an interesting history and rich culture. I would love to learn more about it in an awesome DC musuem if I ever get the chance! 😄

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 28, 2022

@summer.hogan I love that most of the museums are free, too. the National Portrait Gallery and the Holocaust Museum are two of my favorites!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Yes, Mo that is a great thing! It makes for such a reasonably priced vacation! I loved the Postal Museum and my new favorite is the Newseum! That place was amazing! I just read that it closed. So sad :(

I have been to both the National Portrait Gallery and the Holocaust Museum and they are both amazing! 

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2022

Recently i had been to a trek near Kuduremukh and its still in my memories. The clouds and the river. I just loved the place. 

IMG_20201002_134851.jpg

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 25, 2022

Oooff... that looks heavenly! A must visit for sure!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 28, 2022

@Srinatha T Wow, amazing!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

Sandpoint Idaho is a small town (City) in northern Idaho that has a ski resort, lake (that is always cold), rivers, and lots of hiking / backpacking around the City.

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 26, 2022

Some of my family also lives in Coeur d'alene, which I guess is very close to Standpoint Idaho. Sounds like I should plan to visit them soon ;) 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 28, 2022

@Brant Schroeder I haven't been to Idaho yet, but one of my friends retired there because she and her husband love skiing! I wonder if they are near Sandpoint.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

Sandpoint is a great place to retire if you like Skiing.  It is about 2-3 hours from where I live.  We go there a couple of times a year.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

There are a lot of candidates for me, but on different criteria. I've visited many cities. but only lived in two or three (The UK defines towns and cities in an unusual way - London for example is not a city, and our largest town, where I grew up, would come in at around the 25th largest if it were granted the charter to be a city)

Rome is beautiful and has the best restaurants I've ever found (we went to the non-tourist, family-owned ones outside the city centre)

I loved walking around the centres of San Francisco, Amsterdam, Vienna and Barcelona, but those are probably coloured by the company I was keeping at the time - all those visits were for Atlassian Community events.

But I'm going to have to put Liverpool at the top of the list.  Beautiful in places, and with the most welcoming and friendly people I've ever met, I loved living there for four years, and have loved every holiday we've taken there since Chrissy and I got together (we also had the conversations about moving in together, and getting married, while there)

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 29, 2022

Wow! If you LOVE a city after living for 4 years in it, that really says a lot about it! 🤩 Will definitely put Liverpool on my list now, and not just for visiting the Anfield stadium 😊

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

I only went to Anfield once, I lived and worked in the south of the city, various places between the city centre and the grassendale area.

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2022

Yeah @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - many destination that I visited too and have great memories was thanks to Atlassian Events...

Thank you Atlassian for organizing so many great events and opportunities to meet great people!

Sadly COVID reorganized everything, but I hope that (once the last Team was in-person again) that we would get back on track and meet again in some new locations!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

0146c16febdc5b641c9000aa7421e5b8.jpeg

Many beautiful places around the big wide world, but I think Valencia, Spain, really got into my heart.

They had this amazing park built into an old riverbed that refreshes the whole city even on the hottest of days. I loved the views, the food, the groceries, and the endless opportunities for people to work out or play sports.

I even thought of moving there, but being a famous tourist destination bothers me a little :) 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 28, 2022

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ I have done lessons with an artist who lives in Valencia. I can see why an artist would choose to live there; it's lovely!

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 29, 2022

That pic alone has me yearning to visit this beautiful city! Spain is always just breath-taking, no matter where you visit! 🇪🇸

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. July 28, 2022

To start off, I have to say that I love traveling and I have multiple cities or towns that I love, each one for it's own reason.

One of the ones I love is right here in the US. It's Asheville, North Carolina. The people are great, and there are tons of things to do, even more to eat, and it once was the city with the most breweries per capita in the US (which is amazing).

I have come back time, and time again, and will continue to do so, because I just can't get enough.

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 29, 2022

Just googled Asheville and wow, the skyline is absolutely gorgeous! 😮 The bright skyscrapers with a mountainous backdrop are an absolutely riveting sight!  🌆⛰️

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. July 29, 2022

Yea, it's a great smaller city to visit, and loads to see and do. :)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

@Jonathan V_ Asheville is on my bucket list for places to travel with my bicycle. I hope to get down there next year for a few days of riding and to participate in the Grand Fondo hosted there. 

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. July 29, 2022

@Andy Gladstone oh wow, I didn't know they had a Gran Fondo there, that's awesome.

I did one once here in Miami, and it was great, exhausting, but great. Maybe I'll do the Asheville one soon. 

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2022

I was many times already in Prague and I think I would vote for that city.. 

shutterstock_423729028-autor-DaLiu.jpg

This is the city that have everything with many attractions. You can spend there many days and still have a lot to do and see. Also food is great, beer is great ;) ..

I remember there was Atlassian Atlas Camp in 2015 it was also a good time for me in that lovely city..

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
August 5, 2022

@Mirek Aahh Prague, the crown-jewel of Europe in my opinion! 😍 I also visited it quite a few times when I was living in Munich, and loved every minute of it! 

And there are definitely not a lot of buildings as regal and unique as the Prague Castle! 🏰

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

I've got to say Berlin!

It's just freaking awesome! Apart from the language, which it's really not my style, this city is brilliant! Huge sidewalks to walk on, plenty museum to visit, and extraordinary subway network, pedestrian friendly, gardens, good beer!

What is there not to love? :D

Like # people like this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
September 12, 2022

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_  Berlin is also one of my MOST favourite cities to visit! It never disappoints! 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

I'll drink to that brother! :D

Like Umer Sohail _K15t_ likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events