What is your favorite local festival or event?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hello Everyone,

Back due to popular demand, your Friday Fun this week will once again be delivered by @Jimmy Seddon!

I work in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.  Right now everyone is getting ready for Oktoberfest and if I'm right, I believe Kitchener has the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Germany.

Kitchener-Waterloo-Oktoberfest-web-e1519226462386.jpg

My question to everyone is... What is your favorite local festival or event that happens year year?  I'm talking about the things you look forward to participating in each year so you start planning for them well in advance!

Now, I really enjoy Oktoberfest and I'm really looking forward to taking part in some of the festivities this weekend and all next week.  But, I enjoy Ribfest just a little be more only because Back Ribs are my Kryptonite.  Also, our local Ribfest is also a Craft Beer festival as well!

kitchcner-ribfest-2018-copy.png

Show me all of your wonderful food, drinks and activities!

23 comments

Comment

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Dude it is a race now, how fast I can comment on fun threads. And share stories.

I am from India, we have hell lot of people and hell lot of festivals to calm them down. My favrioute is "HOLI", it is a celebration of beginning of summer.

And how do we celebrate Holi, with lots of colors. And it is complete insanity.

This is the end result,

holi_fun.png

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

That's amazing!  Looks like a lot of fun!

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

My favorite is Atlassian Summit ;)

Work conferences aside, my family and I attend QuakeCon every year in Dallas, and I have been attending consecutively since 2002. QuakeCon is a huge event were ~3000 people bring their full gaming desktops and setup for 4 days of non-stop 24/7 gaming action at North America's largest LAN Party.

The experience of being in the BYOC hearing all of the shouting and excitement is very similar to the "energy" that you feel going into the Vendor hall at Summit when it first opens, plus you get to check out cool vendors, upcoming games and hardware releases, and watch some cool professional e-sports tourneys.

67518139_10214177348528679_8463225592114839552_n.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

That picture reminds me of my college days.  Every year my friends and I always say we need to do another one, one of these days we'll actually follow through on it!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2019

NEXT YEAR!!!! I CAN'T WAIT! 

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2020

College days indeed! Ahhhh the memories

Celina Zamora October 11, 2019

Oh, there are so many for me. The main one is Austin's Dia de Los Muertos parade! Hands down. It's a part of my culture and want my daughters to continue to understand and appreciate the richness of the celebration. Plus, they dress up and have a lot of fun every time we go. It becomes a larger event every single year, and really brings so many people together. This year we are doing our first ofrenda (means offering in Spanish, but used as an altar to celebrate your loved ones who have passed). 

As you can tell my youngest wasn't very happy with taking a photo...

girls on ddlm.JPG

Also, here's an example of an "ofrenda" at the local Mexican American museum that hosts the parade (a very detailed and immaculate version)...

IMG_5929.JPG

Like # people like this
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

My favorite festival has always been the Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games

My family on my dads side both have Scottish blood and we used to have a tent for the MacNaughton clan. My clan traces back to the 13th century roughly. It has always been great fun and my favorite part is the bag pipes march. 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

Wow that sounds so fun!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

@Brittany Wispell I haven't been in a couple of years but just north of where I live there is also a Highland Games festival.  One of my friends has entered in the Caber Toss a couple of times! It's a really great time!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2019

Yeah! The games there are super fun to watch. My favorite is with the sheep herding! I just love the dogs <3 

The Caber Toss would have to be my second fav. :) 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2019

Great post @Jimmy Seddon ! I love Fall Flavours Feed Your Soul and all of the signature festivals, including the PEI Shellfish Festival! Most involve seafood! :)

top-7-things-to-catch-at-the-pei-international-shellfish-festival-10-630x600.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc you had me at Shellfish!  I know my wife and I want to make it out to the east coast at some point (once our son is a little older).

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2019

That would be awesome @Jimmy Seddon - let me know when you make it to the East Coast - it would be fantastic to meet you and your family :)

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

My favorite must be the 1024 Geek Cultural Festival held at the company on October 24th every year.

This is a festival for dedicated technicians, programmers, test engineers, UI designers, product managers, and more.There are still 12 days, we will usher in the 2019 Geek Cultural Festival!

微信图片_20191012101218.jpg

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2019

It is not long until the Melbourne Cup Carnival. It is not uncommon for this to be a workplace social event in New Zealand where people pay $2 for a horse drawn out of the hat, dressing up, and having nibbles and drinks while watching the race at 5pm local time.

I have a personal tradition of dressing up and wearing a fascinator or sun-hat to work on the first Tuesday of every November whether anything is organised at work and even if (especially if) no-one at work is acknowledge the race day/

Image result for melbourne cup 2019

Like # people like this
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2019

Am from one of the southern states in India - Tamilnadu.

The local festival is Pongal, its a festival of harvest and is celebrated for 4 days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Pongal

The festival is vibrant in country sides than the metros, 4 days are celebrated in 4 different ways, and it used to be the times i visit my grand parents. Its no short of fun, food and delicacies.

Like # people like this
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2019

Mine is 'La Tomatina' here is Spain

Unlike a majority of Spanish fiestas, the famous tomato throwing festival has neither a religious or political slant. And, while stories of how it all began do vary, it is widely agreed that the first iteration of the event took place in the 1940s.

One of the most common versions understands that an impromptu food fight broke out between a group of teenagers in the town’s main square. The ammunition: tomatoes from salads. They enjoyed flinging their food around so much that the following year they returned to relive the experience, this time bringing their own tomatoes.

tomato-throwing-festival-spain.jpg

Have you guys ever tried a food fight? 🍅 🍅 🍅

Hehehe

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

@Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ that looks both amazing and terrifying at the same time.  I have never been in a food fight nor one of such a massive scale!

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2020

I was going to say the same!!!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2019

I would have to say that I really enjoy the county fair each year. There's just so much fun food and fun events to be had. I especially like watching shows like the magicians, jugglers, comedians, etc. The kids usually have a great time as well.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

@Davin Studer - Yes!  My wife comes from a farming family so we usually end up going to one or more of the fairs that one of our family members is showing/competing in, this year our niece was showing one of the younger calves as a part of 4H.

20191014_133550.jpg20191014_131626.jpg20191014_140146.jpg

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2019

In Portland, Oregon we have "Sunday Parkways" events in neighborhoods around the city where 5 to 10 mile routes are closed to car traffic, and people can walk, ride bikes, roller skate, skateboard, or dance in the streets. 

There are lots of fun events along the way, with food, music, and kid's activities. My family loves participating because it's a great opportunity to see different parts of the city at a slower pace, fun to ride on streets that are usually filled with fast-moving car traffic, and fun to see all the decorated bikes!

parkways 2.jpg

parkway.jpg

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

One week later I'm joining the game! Can't miss a topic from @Jimmy Seddon ♡

And yep, sorry to disappoint but I don't have any festivals or yearly events which I find curious to participate in Sofia :(

I'm so dull that the one thing that can grab my interest is some sports activity or natural causes like planting trees or cleaning the mountains.

Here I am, with my favorite shovel. :D

2015-04-18.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

Noble causes are just as important! Also, your shovel has a green handle, I approve :D

Martin Chalány October 18, 2019

I have two must attend festivals.

First one - Vrbovské vetry is a small festival in small town Vrbové. This festival is fdsdsfull of great music and silly sport disciplines such as rocking horse race or Formula Zero. 

formula-nula-vrbovske-vetry-2018 (1).jpgformula-nula-vrbovske-vetry-2018.jpgvetry_292.jpgVrbovske_Vetry_23.jpg

The other festival - Pohoda  is a small tradition for me and nowadays also for my family. I attended this festival for straight 13 years. After small pause I've started to attending it with my whole family. This year was my 15th. It's nice opportunity to meet old friend with their families at place that we love. And more than 100 music bands are just a bonus. We love this festival so much that we always buy ticket for next year in first day of this year festival. 

pohoda3044922_1200x.jpegpohoda4334453_1200x.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2019

Both of those look like a lot of fun!

Martin Chalány October 18, 2019

They are.  You are welcome to join us next year. Both festivals are really near. Geographically or chronologically. 

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2019

Not local per se, but I try to go to GenCon every year.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Crazy Days at our local ski resort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPEEfSkKgw

Dara October 22, 2019

I went to Keltfest and Castlefest for the first time this year. They are annual festivals held here in the Netherlands. They're a sort of blend between a music festival and a Renaissance fair. Keltfest has a focus on Celtic culture, and Castlefest is more mainstream fantasy. Amazing costumes and cosplays! Plus just a great chill atmosphere overall. Immediately became my favourite event and I'm definitely going every year now!! :D

Castlefest Kasteel Keukenhof Lisse 2017 - YouTube   Castlefest 2014 [Kasteel Keukenhof] - YouTube

Castlefest 2017 Official After Movie - YouTube

Castlefest also has a pagan ritual every year: The Wicker. It is a symbolic offering to end the year with, people can place mementos inside that are symbolic of the past year. In the evening it it ritually burned.

17 Best images about Wickerman on Pinterest | Mothers ...    Castlefest 2019 Full Wicker Wolf Burning - YouTube

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

Those look fun. I didn't think to mention the local Ren Fair I go to every year. 

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Keltfest and Castlefest look very interesting!

Like Dara likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

Late to the game on this one - my favorite local festival is Beer Dabbler

Nothing screams "I'm Minnesotan" more than booze, food and snow in the middle of winter! 

IMG_0095_1.png

We've gone 4 years in a row now - and the weather has been different every time. One year it was in the 50's and the year pictured was the coldest (and snowiest). 

Like # people like this
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

I recently attended the 42nd annual Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk, NC. The stars of the festival are little caterpillars called woolly worms that race up lengths of string! The ultimate winner is the one used to predict the upcoming winter (akin to the groundhog Punxsutawney Phil), and his human gets a nice cash prize. The races were a hoot, and there were lots of talented craft vendors who were a pleasure to visit with. And, being in the mountains this time of year is always a treat!DSC03647.JPGDSC03643.JPGDSC03659.JPGIMG_5273.JPG

Shaun Sheehan November 5, 2019

Carnaval in Rio, Spain, and Venice (still haven't hit New Orleans!) were a lot of fun.  Rio was a lot tamer than I had anticipated, but lots of great energy and camaraderie. The parade in the Sambodromo was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and it was especially cool seeing the parachuters drop in during the opening ceremony! 

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2020

Given @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ has taken the 'tomatina' from me I'll have to go with the next best in my list: fallas in Valencia. Specifically, the Mascleta event, which runs on a daily basis throughout the week of Fallas in the city's main square: https://youtu.be/f-AOC2dufuw?t=21

A true festival of sound. If you haven't lived it live, I can tell you the feeling is unique. The floor shakes, your heart pounds and the sound fills the space.

Like Dharma Ramos likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon ,

"What is your favourite local festival or event?"

My favourite one is PONGAL Festival: 

Pongal is also referred to as Thai Pongal, is a multi-day Hindu harvest festival of South India, particularly in the Tamil community. It is observed at the start of the month Tai according to Tamil solar calendar. It is a three-day Festival 

Day 1:  Cooking Pongal with Friends and family

Image result for pongal celebrations

Day 2:  The second day is dedicated to honour or celebrate the animals and pets. Below is a Game "Jallikatu" played with bulls ( A Dangerous sports). 

Image result for jallikattu

Day 3: Going out with Family and Friends on a one day vacation and  having fun 

Related image

- Sri 

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

Here in Maryland, it is all about eating Chesapeake Bay blue crabs!

https://www.mdcrabfest.com/

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

I love going to the Santa Claus Crawl every year in Hutto, TX! All the local businesses hand out free drinks to everyone. Great opportunity to get to know the town and have a relaxing evening.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events