What is your #1 tip for working remotely?

Viewing page 3 of 3

61 comments

Comment

Rene Schmid April 14, 2020

Tips for working remotely are firstly, use better communication tools like Webex, R-HUB web video conferencing servers etc. Be professional in your approach to work same like how you work in office. Conduct regular meetings with your Boss, employees etc.

Like # people like this
Pawan Kumar April 15, 2020

My #1 Tip for Working Remotely: Select a Dedicated Workspace

Just because you’re working from home, doesn’t mean you can’t have a dedicated workspace or office. Create a calming and inspiring home office ambiance. A dedicated workspace can help you get into the right mindset and prevent you from distractions. 

If you feel more creative in the morning, spend this time on the tough part of your work such as brainstorming ideas while working from your dedicated workspace. In the afternoon, you can sit on your couch and take calls or check your emails.

Here you can read some of my best remote working tips.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

@Pawan Kumar my dedicated workspace right now is in the living room since my house is too small for an office! 

Samra_Ishfaq June 25, 2020

I do all the ten tips

Justin van Dyk April 15, 2020

These have probably all been said before but here goes: 

1. Stick to a routine, this is not just time based but habits as well:

- Have a dedicated work space (not your bed)

- Turn on and shut down at the same time

- SHUTDOWN! You’re working from home not homing from work. 

- Stick to your daily habits, don’t nap or watch tv during lunch. Watch YouTube or whatever you usually do during lunch.

2. Keep in touch with your team, daily stand ups, monthly/weekly one-on-ones

3. Take lunch breaks, 5 minute coffee breaks etc. 

4. Stay sane 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

"You’re working from home not homing from work." I want to put this on a wall hanging, @Justin van Dyk!

Like # people like this

🤩

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2020

Now that I am well and truly in week 6 of WFH, looking back on this, I would have to say the #1 tip from me is:

Set-up and maintain a good and structured RHYTHM!

Healthy work hours, regular breaks, get outside when (and if) you can, don't work more than 8 hours a day unless really needed, no meetings back to back, minimise amounts of meetings per day, set SMART goals per day/week.

Abhijit_Biswas April 26, 2020

Difficult for Finance professionals to work from home! There are multiple issues that require execution of contracts that require physical signatures, even if all the pre-requisites are discussed remotely with perfect clarity!

Nevertheless, while away from the bustling office (where everyday activities sweeps you into its own queer flow), using this time, in isolation, provides an opportunity to document a sort of 'Standard Operating process' that can be used for very critical and complex Financial transactions. I have observed that processes involving foreign currency accounting transactions and more so, if the forex is covered through forward deals, accountants tend to make mistake in recording these transactions. Hence, keeping these in mind, I utilized this WFH to draft a SOP and circulated the same to data entry colleagues.

Like Dave_Liao likes this
Dave_Liao April 27, 2020

@Abhijit_Biswas welcome!

Hopefully your company and clients consider electronic signatures for your transactions? There's a bunch of tools out there that might work for your industry.

Like Abhijit_Biswas likes this
Vas V April 27, 2020

We use adobe pro for that. Would that be something useful to you?

Abhijit_Biswas April 28, 2020

Many thanks. Our manufacturing units are in Africa and Middle east - Banks in Africa insist on signed hard copies of contracts - Very few banks accept digital signatures

Mike Holp April 28, 2020

Hello! I recently launched my own consulting business teaching digital entrepreneurs how to adapt to the remote work lifestyle based on personal experience I've accumulated over the past 4 years.

Please check out the website at Be Remote Consulting! I write articles on my blog as well.

I'm currently based in Bangkok, Thailand during the COVID-19 world pandemic. We don't have a mandatory lockdown over here and the number of reported cases are much lower than in the United States. They're extending the evening curfew for another month and offering foreigners automatic visa extensions until July 31st.

Hope all is well and you're staying safe!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help...

-Mike

Like Chand_Farabi likes this
Saeed Talib April 28, 2020

I have my 1. 7 years old son. i gave him another laptop. we both use to work accordingly . and i love being in his company. 

Like Chand_Farabi likes this
Chand_Farabi June 19, 2020

Off course everyone suffering verse condition of life in these days Allah help us

Take little breaks for munching on food.that would break the monotony tech drudgery

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

It was crazy period :) 

image.png

Will Boudle June 11, 2021

Maybe I missed it, but one thing I like is a "water-cooler" room on your choice of discussion app. 

Where people can just post random stuff, jokes, stories etc. Things that might not be appropriate for the other rooms. 

This is a great mood builder and way to develop new relationships with people you work with but can't see. 

I've heard of some people using this idea for friendly games like describe your weekend with memes, post a childhood picture, or wear different themed outfits etc. Its a great idea to build/maintain relationships with people you don't see in person. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events