What encourage you to do more and do better?

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

Hello everybody, 

Some say I`m good as a story teller, some say I`m not. Well I will say that it depends on the mood, the group of people I`m talking to and many other things. Today is Friday 13, and I'm late with my FridayFun post. And i will tell you why.

Today I had to go shopping for our Christmas party, so my team counted on me to be all good. What encourage me to do more and do better? My team, my boss, part of my friends and family. I'm that type of person that needs confirmation that all I`m doing is good ( or wrong, and why is wrong) if you know what I mean. But, instead of telling me what I do wrong, they are telling me what should I do instead ( of that bad/or wrong thing). This is how I grew up in my team.

As I said in a previous FridayFun post, my boss is also my childhood best friend, we manage to keep that boundary between these 2 different relationships and it's all good. I love her as a boss and also love her as a best friend. He knew all the time how to make me feel appreciated, and when I was progressing at something, she knew what to do or say to make me want to do more and do better. 

I love those kind of people who are trying to appreciate or mold depending on the people around them. I'm talking about bosses, friends, family. If you know that someone you know, or someone you just met can do more and better and you have that power to do it, please DONT STOP! 

Thank you and sorry for my late post again!!!  

P.S: I love the community, you are awesome.

10 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2019

I believe that constructive and positive feedback from your seniors and juniors is always a big driving factor to do more and better in your field.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2019

I was taught that learning from my own mistakes is important but it is often better to learn from the mistakes of others. This is a key reason that I do not try to hide my errors and learning missteps at work - I like to give other people opportunities to learn.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

When you find that magic sweet spot of a leader/team you respect and gel with, and work that you are passionate about. Having both those factors met, that is when I work my hardest to do better, for the greater good of the team, and to have personal satisfaction that I accomplished meaningful work. 

It is not always about doing more, sometimes it is about "doing less, but better". It's the mantra from the book Essentialism - I used to do 10 things good, now I focus on doing 5 things better.

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2019

I have somewhat different opinion, you need to be internally motivated and externally motivating. What I mean here is, always believe in what you are doing, and if you want someone to help you and do something for you, don't push them, just tap on their back and say some encouraging words. Things will be much easier this way.

Another thought that has stuck with me is, "is motivation essential?", I don't think so. If your job demand focus, you will stop caring about motivation, you will just do your job. so, focus is essential and not the motivation.

And finally a suggestion, don't let motivation become madness, sometimes this madness will make you appreciate bad people, will make you take bad decision, and will make you sink the ship.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 14, 2019

Motivation is not a precursor to success. Dr. Ross Harris agrees (YouTube link)

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2019

Well said @Kat Warner 

Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2019

Personally, i've always found long term goal setting to be a helpful motivator to me, however the caveat should be that your plans can and will change ☺️

A good framework for this is SMART goals

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2019

This is one of those really good thought provoking questions, I love it!

Personally, I'm motivated by working with respectful, trustworthy, hard-working individuals.  On a regular basis I may end up either coming in early or staying a bit late to give my partner in crime at work a hand with the latest and greatest idea we have had to make something cool that will help the business.  I feel invested because I know that the workload is being shared equally and we are working on the project as equals.

There are times where I'm "contracted" out to other teams to help them with things I'm an SME on and some of the teams are awesome!  Others make it very challenging to be motivated on the work.

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2019

I'm encouraged through an amazing management staff that lets me know there are no limits. I started with an entry-level design position. Over the last 9 years, I've seen the small 20 employee company I began with grow and flourish to over 70 employees, two offices, the start of a new company and I've climbed the ladder into a brand-new management position myself!

I've had countless meetings and reviews with what's working, what's not working, where fixes need to be put in place and where we just cut the losses. Its been exhilarating and stressful - but I love it!

My management team and even my employees (yes, I manage a team now!!) show me how to strive for better, accept what cannot change and grow with each mistake. 

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Great thread!

I really enjoy seeing how energy is found for improvement in so many ways. For, the drive to improve comes from pure, but simple, passion for what I'm doing. I find it a neverending fuel resource, even through the ups and downs of life and learning. Focus, attention, care, listening, empathy, ... and other great treats derive from that one systemic feeling that "this is what I really want to do and I believe it is worth doing".

Like elenushhh likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

Great Question : 

What encourage you to do more and do better?

Take up a couple of Loans and you will get a Motivation to push your self 

According to me, I would say having a Growth Mindset is important to do better and do more. As long as you see the feedback you get from your seniors or manager as an opportunity to grow yourself and you work on them you would surely do more and do better.

-Sri 

Like # people like this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

This is a very interesting thread. It's an interesting mix of internally inspired action and external motivation. I was a goal-setter for a long time, and something was missing. Each time I reached a goal there was a brief rush and then "was that all?" Through my work studying with Dr. John Demartini and other mentors I've definitely moved to a more intrinsically inspired focus by working on clarity of purpose. Now, each goal organically presents itself and is seen a point on a never-ending journey (yeah, I kinda liked that movie). Cheers!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events