What are you doing to keep busy during Quarantine?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

Happy Friday Everyone!

I'm back filling in for another edition of Friday Fun!

We all know that the COVID-19 situation has prevented us from being able to do some of the things we would normally be doing right now.  My question for everyone is first, what would you normally be doing now that you can't and then also what have you been doing instead?  Have you taking up another activity, finally had the time to read that book that's been collecting on your shelves, or have you decided to finally watch every episode of every show on Netflix.

For myself, my curling season was interrupted just as we were approaching playoffs.  Right about now, many of the people I curl with would be transitioning over to play baseball in the summer months (myself included), that won't be happening this year.

Silver lining, the same group of guys that I play Baseball with have always talked about how we'd love to play D&D again but everyone is to busy.  So now, what was Thursday night Baseball is Thursday night D&D.  This is the second week we have been playing and it's been a lot of fun!

I have also taken to sharpening my programming skills since Pluralsight is currently free to use in April.  I've used this opportunity to keep some of my know languages sharp, and I've started to learn some new ones like Python.  It's so widely used I figure it's something worth knowing how to write.

Alright everyone, it's your turn let's hear what you have been doing!

Have a great weekend & keep healthy and safe!

22 comments

Comment

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2020

For getting at all the little projects that "I'll get to when I have a bit of time". Well.... I have a bit of time.

Projects to date:

• Getting around to installing smart irrigation timer I bought
  • Building out the Unifi network at home
  • Refreshing some electrical and plumbing bits in need of such
  • Clear stale stuff out of garage
  • Installed Nest thermostat
  • Reorganize all the Google Assistant thingies in the house more logically (both in terms of placement but how set up in Home app
  • Nap
  • Read
Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

I've actually done a number of those myself, which is also rewarding!

Like Mike Rathwell likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 24, 2020

@Mike Rathwell I've been doing some of these too, including:

• Try blue hair (fail)
  • Purge linens (success)
Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2020

I will not likely try the blue hair thing....

This is what my network looks like now; full security gateway, managed hub and wireless access point, multiple SSIDs, guest WiFi portal, fully VLANed.

network.png

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

I tried pink hair, with not quite fail, not quite success.  :/
It's pinkish, in direct light.
v. ish.

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2020

Second try, with brushes to apply the colour.  Better this time, and fairly happy this time knowing what to expect.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

PUZZLES. I don't think I've ever completed a 1,000-piece one, and I have a few more grey hairs as a result, but it was fun, nonetheless.

IMG_6565 (1).jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

@Erica Moss I can't do puzzles, however my wife loves to do them and has completed quite a few recently.  The only problem she has is knowing when to quit for the night and go to bed ;)

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 24, 2020

We did a 1000-piece unicorn and are currently working on a building. I have a Degas one ready to go next!

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

Seems like a lot of fun. If you don't have 4 excessively helpful cats.

Like Erica Moss likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2020
Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2020

This is crazy!! 
I found a timelapse video on youtube with 42‘000 pieces and it’s just epic to watch... He had almost 1 year to finish the puzzle...

https://youtu.be/dj0Yl_50q4E

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2020

@Dominic Lagger that was extremely impressive!  Though I got tired just watching it...

Like Dominic Lagger likes this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

@Erica Moss- I thought puzzles was a bar!
:P
(nevermind, HIMYM fan in secret) 

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

My wife has done a couple of puzzles over the past month.  I contribute sometimes.  Our dog loves to steal the pieces and hide them.  The last 1,000 piece puzzle she completed is missing 5 pieces... 

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Great stand-in @Jimmy Seddon!

I wouldn't have been working today if I was at work, and I'm boring, so it's Friday night and I'm at my computer playing with Butler.

I know I'm sad!

But today I've been playing with a sort-of new Trello board, and working out how I can use Sprints in it. As I use it on my own, it's been interesting to see how other people have been Scrumming Solo (I think that's the common term). I'm really chuffed with how the board looks and works now, very proud of myself!

Previously, I've watched all episodes of The Blacklist on NowTV, as well as all episodes that Amazon Prime had to offer of Grey's Anatomy.

I randomly found a 4TB hard drive in an abandoned box in the bedroom with all our old documents and music on it, so I've been trying to work out where on earth to put it (cloud obviously). But it's formatted for Windows and I only have Mac now, so it's been interesting because anything that I upload to various clouds I can't delete from the original hard drive, so it's been a sort of Russian Roulette working out what I've moved and what I haven't, and 9 times out of 10, I go to copy something and it tells me that there's already something of the same name there, so then I have to work out if it's a new one or an old one! Think I've got it licked now, I've made a separate folder on the cloud so that I know anything in there is a copy from this random hard drive! Then, when I'm happy that I've got everything, I can format it for Mac!

I've also started playing Minecraft with Hubster, which is great fun!

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Oh, and I've re-pierced my ears!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

I've also completely re-done the bedroom (meaning to do that since Christmas), and purged the gym to within an inch of its life!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Is The Blacklist good?  I don't really know much about it.

I watched the earlier seasons of Grey's Anatomy.  My wife watched everything I lost interest around season 7.  Then I couldn't believe they were still going as long as they were.

I've tried to play Minecraft, and every time I do I feel lost.  I know I'm supposed to just start building, be creative and have fun, but for whatever reason I just never seem to be able to get the creative juices flowing.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

The Blacklist is good, but it's a bit samey after a while, the cons are good and you never know what's actually going on, I'm on season 6 and I'm still clueless! More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing!

Greys was ok, I think I watched it because I'd invested too much time to not see it through, but after a while that got a bit boring as well 'oh, they died, ok' sort of thing!

Minecraft is a giggle for me personally. Hubster has turned off all the enemies (because I don't do games that involve killing things - strange when you consider my other favourite it Worms, where the purpose is to kill things, I'm a complicated person!) so it's literally just mining and crafting! We're in the middle of building a castle at the moment, he's just put the turrets on:

Our castle.png

But I planted the tree too close and it's growing through the wall, so we have to keep cutting it from the inside!!

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

Nice topic! 

Normally I would prepare for the upcoming golf season. I would spend many hours on the driving range, but I can't do that now.

Instead of golfing, I do workout at home and also do puzzles like @Erica Moss ! :)

We have already finished two 1000 puzzles and ordered one more. A picture which I shot myself!

IMG_1562.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

That's amazing!  Any chance you can link where you ordered your own photo as a puzzle from?  I have a great idea now!

Like LarryBrock likes this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2020

Of course I can share the link. 

I thought they only delivered in switzerland, but it looks like they have many countries.  Check out Puzzle you (Country selection) 

But now you have to share your great idea with us :-) 

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

Awesome picture! Thank you for sharing!

Like Dominic Lagger likes this
David Lo April 24, 2020

During this lockdown period, there is quite a number of mini projects are in my to-do-list for accomplishment.  So far I've completed 60% of them and here is the list :)

• Extending my existing smart irrigation system;
  • Transplanting a number of my existing plants (also thanks to my lovely neighbor who has given me a lot of his different seedlings for my enhancement work);
  • Cleaning up an outdoor corridor beside my house (area of 30mx2m) and flattening the ground level so to make a good use of the area;
  • Assemble my 2 mountain bicycles purchased from Aldi 1 year ago (a very good deal you can't imagine);
  • study new technologies that I've lost my memory or something new to me;
  • finish 2 seasons of Star Trek TV series and last series of Star War movie;
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

@David Lo , all good things.

The smart irrigation system is why I need to get the new controller installed; Google Assistant drip watering.

Like LarryBrock likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2020

Nice topic @Jimmy Seddon 

normally hiking season would start right now for me and my wife - means "climbing" on the nearby or more far away mountains in the alps and getting fit 🙃(but also means visiting beergardens and enjoy some unhealthy food - which I also enjoy) 

-> instead we do cardio workout sports daily (enjoy "Bring Sally Up"-Challenge with squats) and korean sword fight two times a week @home

schitt's creek squats GIF by Pop TV

What I also enjoy are pearler beads while my wife is all into puzzles - I do the mini pearls and I love it.... listen to some good music and go for it....

6f0ecb17-c4c7-4d33-a389-77af76a1499a.JPGIMG_0142 Kopie.jpgIMG_0147 Kopie.jpg

I feel a little bit like we watched all good tv series... or respectively we're waiting for new seasons to start - Dead to me, Killing Eve, ...

And of course I try to finish my Community Leader onboarding (still sorry about that Darlene) - get some fresh input for job (but not all the time)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2020

That's awesome!  I love the mini pearls things I haven't completed one in ages!

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2020

Among other things, my wife and I enjoy eating out to try new food and get to know new places. During this quarantine, we've been taking advantage of those meal kits available here in Toronto such as hello fresh, good food, etc. Well, it's keeping us busy and helping us developing our cooking skills 😋

This is the pizza burger, a beef burger, layered with peppers, marinara and melty mozzarella cheese. Golden parmesan fries and marinara dip. 👍🏻

IMG_6096.jpg

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2020

I've been spending more time cooking over the past month.  My wife and I managed to go about 6 months without cooking, but have manged to make dinner together every night for the past month.  We ordered a bunch meat and side items from Omaha Steaks a couple of weeks ago and have been baking steak and chicken every day.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2020

Jealous GIFs | Tenor

I'm cooking more because we can't buy takeaways. Toddler taming is time-consuming.

Like # people like this
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon  Nice discussion

I am doing these things:

1. Spending time in Cooking... I love cooking but due to the busy life I have never given much time but now I have time

giphy

2. Uploading more Jira videos to my Youtube Channel as I have free time

giphy

3. Doing "Yoga" every day for my good health.

giphy

Like # people like this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

This is cool @Monika Rani 
How about putting cooking and yoga lessons on youtube too ?
;)

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2020

@Sajit Nair  yes I will do but now I am focusing on only one thing :)

Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

Hi @Jimmy Seddon -
Here is my list -

1) Venturing into new genres of music. 
Been a acoustic blues/hiphop fan since as long as I can remember.. but now learning trades of other genres like lo-fi/country/jazz.. etc.

2) Cooking for survival. No fancy stuff.
The goal is to not order from a restaurant. Period.
38 days and counting..

3) Finally finished saved games in PlayStation
COD/NFS/GTA/FIFA
(all older versions.. still on a PS3)

4. Daily dose of Yoga.
We practice on the rooftop of my apartment with fellow building mates. 
Our 'Social distancing yoga sessions' has been inspiring people in the locality and we see more and more people on top of their building at dawn.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

That's awesome!  My wife and I never really ordered out much, but we have started to do so on a weekly basis from a couple of specific restaurants that are independently owned and operated to try and help them survive through this.

I have also started diving into older video games I never finished just so that I can scratch them off the list ;)

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

Do you have any interesting artists to recommend? Since home office, I have listened to so much music that I have a feeling there does not exist any music I have not heard already haha.

I am also discovering a lot of new genres lately, so I'll take everything you have :) 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2020

@Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_ , if you haven't gotten there yet, dig into Swing music. If you have a good music service that makes good suggestions in the genre, I suggest starting with the excellent group Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Other great artists in this general shape are:

• Tape Five
  • Kate Earl
  • Swingrowers
  • Katzenjammer (have one of the most original covers of "Land of Confusion" I have ever heard)
  • The Electric Swing Circus
  • Imelda May
  • Ivy Levan
  • Paloma Faith

For something a little more relaxed, check out:

• Brothers Behind the Light
  • Supreme Beings of Leisure
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

Thanks a lot @Mike Rathwell ! That is a genre I did not think about. I started right away with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and I love it, really refreshing for my ears, since I did not listen to something like that in a while.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

I'm again late for the fun. Jumping both legs @Jimmy Seddon!

I consider myself lucky to have almost the exact daily routine (I'm not a social person, so I don't miss the office time and the crowds outside).

But I truly miss the long walks in the park, the mountain hikes, and the gym.

• So, I'm improvising with new and different home workouts, trying to be creative with the setups.
  • I ordered a Nails set for gel-based polish, and I must admit it's not easy work. It seems like I'll have a new skill after this lockdown. :)
  • I experiment more in the kitchen. I want to build beautiful new meals but, at the same time, keep calories lower (if possible). Which is sometimes a real food-puzzle, and I love it.
  • And the best - I read more books on my Kindle :) Now I'm rereading some of my favorite books, I find it refreshing. 
Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Jimmy Seddon , Here is what I am doing : 

1. I am catching up on the unfinished books. 

2. Started an art journal. It is therapeutic 

3. Learning a new music instrument (Kalimba) 

4. Actually meditating- Practicing mediation without using apps or music

5. Cleaning the house. After a long workday of emails and virtual connects. I spend some time cleaning and organizing things. It helps me sleep better.

6. Also, going cuckoo a little bit now. :) 

Like # people like this
Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2020
  • While not having read a good book for a long time, now I've swallowed Millenium by Stieg Larsson in just 3 weeks - it's awesome!
  • Refurbished and re-planted stuff on the balcony - green makes it feel a lot better and a great place for coffee outside, even when it's freezing :-)
  • Finally after a couple of years started learning to play piano
  • Cleaned up the house of reaaaaallly old unused stuff.

And obviously this techie stuff:

• got certified in AWS
  • now going to certify in GCP
  • Ubiquiti FTW in the summer house
  • Teaching Google Home to dance Salsa :-P
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2020

Thanks for the great topic @Jimmy Seddon !  My "better late than never" contribution would be:

1. more mountain biking  - at least 3 rides a week at lunch or at quitting time (motivation to stop work!)  This is a nice 1hr ride of 7.5mi burning ~1000 calories. :-)

image.png

2. Helping more in the kitchen to both spend time with my wife and daughter plus learn a thing or two about food.  Found out I like grits with onion, cheese, and topped with a fried egg! (AMAZEBALLZ!!! as @Andy - PTC Redundant would say.)

3. Participated in some Pilates, Yoga, and Bar classes which made me hurt in places I didn't even know I had - and I thought I was in pretty good shape. (And no, no pictures of me embarrassing myself haha!)

~~Larry

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2020

That's awesome @LarryBrock!  I can't say I've ever had grits, but that does sound really good!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2020

Too right @LarryBrock - too fricking right!
#AMAZABALLZ!

Amazaballz_FMA_ii.gif

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2020

....I'm so hungry right now. Love GRITS 💙🥘

David Phillips May 3, 2020

Brand new to this community, but i have had no trouble keeping busy during these times, thanks to my location (see my home office pic below), my belief in community service, and my background in public health that includes working with Ebolavirus patients and others as a midlife intern at the NIH Clinical Center. Since January I have been a "kitchen cabinet" advisor to several NYC area elected officials regarding pandemic disease preparation and response. As the initial wave overtook local health care systems, I became involved in facilities re-organization, grief counseling, and most steadily in pastoral care for a community of hospital staff (from registration clerks and radiology/lab techs to surgeons and nurses) in New York City and close-in New Jersey. Heavy stuff, but the fastest way to avoid helplessness and hopelessness is to DO SOMETHING.

All of that said, I miss the gym terribly, having taken my last full workout the morning before helping secure the closure of bars ahead of St. Patrick's Day.

image0 (1).jpeg

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2020

@David Phillips Thank you for your work on our behalf, David! (And wow, what a view.) Welcome to the Community, and be sure to check out some product collections that interest you, as well as threads like Friday Fun.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2020

While taking care of a toddler and a baby, I tried to find a creative way for them to have more independent playing so I could focus on working without so much multi-tasking parenting and working. I spent a number of days building an outdoor house which I actually enjoyed (and found out that I may be more skilled with my hands that I thought). Now I spend 4h a day pushing my toddler in the swing... not the outcome I expected but this is definitely keeping me busy during the quarantine.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2020

Pushing a toddler on a swing sounds like an excellent use of time. Well beyond my patience level!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

@Carlos Garcia Navarro , that outdoor house sounds like a stellar thing to do. Would that I could. My Home Owners Association doesn't allow any outbuildings (tool sheds, etc) on our property. While I get it (because could get junky fast in the neighborhood) I would truly enjoy a small, climate controlled outbuilding to use as an office for a bit better separation of work from the rest of my life. At least I am fortunate enough to have an actually "office" room in the house but an outbuilding like that would be favorite.

Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

What I used to do to make myself busy during the quarantine are reading books, joining online meetups & events, playing games, doing exercise, listening to music, and a lot more...

Like # people like this
Adria Alonso
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2020

Going fot Project cert and trying to keep myself busy with meets and courses.

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user May 26, 2020

I'm studing many books!!!

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

During I worked and improved the infrastructure for a few companies :) 

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2021

I might be writing late as it's 2021 but just thought of sharing my diaries during those days while it initially started in 2020.

• First thing, setting workplace back at home and making a habit of working from home
  • Trying new dishes, drinks 
  • watching movies, web series
  • Reading articles, blogs
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events