Welcome Wednesday: What art/book/etc made an impression on you?

Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020

Hello hello!

We know (and hope) you’re all very active on the community sharing your expertise, but it’s always nice to get to know more about y’all personally ✨

We’re all about bonding here on ‘Welcome Wednesday’, and I’m looking forward to hearing about what type of art/book/etc made an impression on you?

Growing up in Holland, I was exposed so Van Gogh early on. Now every time I see his painted poppies or sunflowers, I feel a type of longing that leaves me a little sad ...and my heart a little achy. 😭

download.jpeg.    images.jpeg

But recently have really gotten into graphic novels and I have to say V for Vendetta is some A+ dystopian societal food for thought. 💭 

870985.jpg

Now it’s your turn! Let us know what art/book or anything else that’s has shaped you! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

9 comments

Comment

Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 11, 2020

@Kyren Wong - I love this question! In 2009 I visited The Pompidou in Paris and during that time they had a special exhibition of Alexander Calder's Cirque Calder.

Calder made an intricate miniature circus and my favorite part was the portrait style photographs of the dolls, or main actors, in the performance. I've actually been thinking about this exhibit a lot lately and was inspired to take photographs of my mid-century modern animal figurine collection in a similar fashion. 

Calder is one of my favorite artists! I love his use of wire and of course, I could sit and watch his giant mobiles for hours on end. 

3500.jpgcalder.jpg

My first attempt at photographing a figurine: 

IMG_2521.jpeg

Like Kyren Wong likes this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2020

Omgosh these are so utterly cute i wanna get some figurines now to decorate my room 😍 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2020

I read "How to win friends and influence people" long, long time ago and it is still having positive affects in my life.

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2020

Definitely sounds like a book I need to read! 😂 Im going to add it on my 'must read list' @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Troy Dyer November 11, 2020

I'm adding it to my "must read' list too.

Like # people like this
Troy Dyer December 16, 2020

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

I just finished reading this book and I cannot thank you enough for recommending it.

I am confident that it will have a very positive influence on the rest of my life and on the lives of the people around me.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

So glad you read it @Troy Dyer  !!!  Wasn't it good? Makes me happy you enjoyed it as well :)

Another book that I really like is "Think and grow rich" Some people are put off by the title, think it is a get rich quick scheme something. It is actually a real eye opener and not so much about the money (rich is also interpreted as skills, relationship, or whatever you want in life). Just if you are bored...  ;)

Like # people like this
Troy Dyer December 17, 2020

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Glad to hear it made you happy that I enjoyed the book. It is an excellent book; a life-changer. I know I am going to benefit much from it.

You've become our go-to guy for book recommendations :) Next, I'm going to read "Think and grow rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Thanks again Kristjan!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

Hahaha @Troy Dyer   Thank you!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 11, 2020

Great topic!

I love art museums (and audio tours)! My favorite museum in the world is the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam; I love the impressionists. But a couple of years ago we went to the Uffizi in Florence, which was amazing too. Another really memorable exhibit was a traveling exhibit on Egypt from the British Museum that came to the Legion of Honor a while back. 

I was thinking of trying to scratch the art museum itch with a virtual tour on Youtube, I wonder if anyone does that? 

In the meantime, I bought this painting, "Joy of Forest" by Yangyang Pan, and I get to look at it every day:

joyofforest.jpg

Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2020

this is straight mesmerizing 😍  

Deleted user November 12, 2020

Thanks for the welcome, Kyren.
This changed me a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 12, 2020

@[deleted] I remember that novel! I loved it. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves reminded me of it a little, if you haven't read that one. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user November 13, 2020

I'm adding it to my to-read list now, thanks!

Alwin November 12, 2020

That would be any art from my brother-in-law Renso Tamse. I creates homongous big paintings with so much detail!
This Beringei gorilla is almost full-size. Or what about this big boy in African Dust XL:

efd07e43368f480600e6be810a8810b9

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 12, 2020

@Alwin wow!! Ongelovelijk! He's so talented. Does he visit Africa for inspiration?

Troy Dyer November 12, 2020

Incredible paintings!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

@Kyren Wong Today I learned that you grew up in Holland! So cool. This question also makes my heart a bit achy because I feel like so many of our art and culture moments have been stolen by, ya know, this global pandemic. In The Before Times, however, one of my favorite things to do was just walk around modern art museums like The Whitney here in New York or the MoMA in SF (pictured below).

IMG_3782 2.jpg

Additionally, if we're talking about Earth-shatteringly good pieces of art in general, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the greatest musical of all time, "Dear Evan Hansen." I've seen it 10 times, and each time, it breaks my heart into a million pieces and then puts it back together again.

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2020

@Erica Moss man what i'd give to go into a museum 😭 ALSO YES "Dear Evan Hansen" is truly *chef's kiss* perfect, the soundtrack is bomb! Definitely will have to see it after everything 🤩

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events