Virtual meeting with any fictional or real person from history for one hour, who and why?

Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2020

Ok, this is a softball topic but I'm curious to see the responses. Since we are all on lockdown and meeting up is pretty limited, virtually meeting is now main stream. 

SO...

If you could have an hour meeting with any ONE (that's singular) person, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

For me, its easy. I would love to have a virtual meeting with Gandalf from the J. R. R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings series for a number of reasons:

1. "A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - so I don't think I would have to worry about him being late, scheduling might be a little difficult though.
  2. I would love to ask questions...and get answers, to so many of the questions he gets asked throughout the series THAT HE NEVER ANSWERS!
  3. Just to sit and listen to him recount tales of adventure.
  4. HE'S A WIZARD!!!!

I would have to work on the list of questions I would ask since I would only have an hour but, just an hour would be fun.

Now your turn!

14 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2020

WOW, so many people!! I think it might be Moses from Biblical times - so many questions for him, HA!

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 16, 2020

Didn't want to leave you out of the gif giving game @John Funk  so here is 

Sweet Fancy Moses GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2020

One of my favourite authors wrote a series of books set in a fictional universe.  Most of the books were stand-alone, but there were a couple that did need the reader to have a basic grounding in the way the universe was set up before you read them.  The various civilisations involved, and a rough idea of the timeline if nothing else. 

Unfortunately, I picked one of the two that made little sense at first, which scared me off a bit, but as soon as I'd read one of the others that did make sense, I went back and re-read it and it worked properly then!

Some of them had common characters as well as universe, although that didn't really matter to each of the stories they were in.

Until one of the last books.  Of the 14, you needed to have read 2 or 3 older ones, including the one that I would argue was the best in the series too.

Then, when you hit the last book, it did a brilliant job of being mysterious and tentative without spoiling anything, and you really couldn't quite work out what the hell it was about.  Until the very last page (and chapter), which was the name of a character from the must-read book above.

That character is the one I would meet.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 16, 2020

Meanie GIFs | Tenor

Can you at least give the name of the author/series? Sheesh!

Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

so who is the Author at least????

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Sorry, I was trying to avoid spoiling the books for anyone who might stumble across it.

Iain M Banks, (not to be confused with Iain Banks.  Same person, but very very different types of book)

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
April 16, 2020

Stephen Fry.

I don't want to be entertained by him (though I am sure I would be). I'd just like to chat about inconsequential things.

Stephen Fry Whatever GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

I was going to say that I can't imagine a chat with Stephen Fry not being entertaining, but he does have some demons.  They frighten me, not entertain, but I'm also curious and I'd like to hear how he's dealing with them.

I'd guess one way is to talk of inconsequential things, of shoes and ships and sealing-wax, of cabbages and kings.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Sherlock Holmes. I love solving mysteries and would love nothing more than to tag along on one of his fast paced adventures.

Like # people like this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Elementary... ;-)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

@Jack Brickey my best friend and I (and Mina) are solving some cases with Sherlock via this game! Super fun, you might enjoy. 

jeffiepaul April 30, 2020

I think i can be new sherlock holmes reading my own mind.  Have you ever thought what your mind is thinking while thinking it in the first place. 

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Awesome idea @Stephen Crandell ! :-)

I think I would want to speak with Empress Elisabeth of Austria as I have to choose only one. ;-)

Queen Mom, Queen Elisabeth, Mary Stuart, Jeanne d‘Arc,... all those (early) female leaders I would love to ask how it was for a woman in these times and how they managed to be supported by their male companions. Only because of their status or were there other reasons? 
And I would ask what is true and what is fiction / exaggeration?

9585F97D-88E2-4BE4-8A57-06469EFB2CCD.jpeg

Like Anne Bihouee likes this
Anne Bihouee April 17, 2020

Lady of the lake... Vivian. To ask her to deliver Merzhin ! I'm sure that Merzhin could help us to solve the big challenges of our world !

viviane.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

@Anne Bihouee gorgeous picture!

Like Anne Bihouee likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2020

Mine is the Creator of the Universe and the ultimate question of Why?

BigBang_Universe.gif

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

The answer is well know already - 42

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 17, 2020

Everyone knows we're in a computer simulation. 

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

I would like to meet with Morpheus from the Matrix franchise.... There are some things about the Matrix that weren't completely clear to me and he seems to understand what's going on... also to ask him about the Matrix 4. So many questions!!

what-if-i-told-you-twinkle-twinkle-little-star-and-the-abc-song-are-the-same.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 17, 2020

@Stephen Crandell I think I might pick one of my ancestors! Maybe my biological maternal grandmother, who I never knew. She seemed pretty awesome. 

Like # people like this
Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ April 17, 2020

David Attenborough. I find him absolutely fascinating.

It's really hard to watch a nature documentary that isn't narrated or presented by him. 

All the places he's been, things he's seen - amazing!

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

I guess I would choose same as @Andy - PTC Redundant , Creator of the Universe would be really interesting haha. 

But just so I don't copy, I will choose someone from younger generation if I can, and that is Tyler, the Creator. Such an inspirational and creative person, plus his amazing growth in what he is doing is amazing.

Music, short movies + music videos, animated series, clothes, furniture and many more things he is doing is just so entertaining to watch, I would love to talk with him about all these things.

David Phillips May 3, 2020

This one is easy, my Phillips fifth great grandmother who was the daughter of the houseman-slave of her husband's father, my Phillips sixth great grandfather. I didn't take an interest in my father's ancestry -- I knew my roots back to my fourth great grandparents -- until 2004 after being reminded that future-President Barack Obama, Jr. and I share a pair of Armor great great grandparents (we met as a children at a family reunion). I submitted a sample for DNA testing that came back with 1% African composition. My father's DNA came back 2% African much to his surprise.

Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

The fictional character will be Goku from the Dragon Ball series.

I will love to learn how to control Chi, so that I could fly! 😁🤣😂✌

Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

Michael Scott because he is also Beyonce! :D 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events