The ergonomics of working from home

Antonia V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2020

I know that many of us will be working from home for the next few weeks or months. While there are a slew of challenges and silver linings that come with this (hello, pajamas!), one thing that I have been trying to figure out, and would love your thoughts on, is how to create an ergonomically sound setup.

Within the first few weeks of wfh my upper back and neck really began to feel strained. Some of this was fixed with a laptop stand, but I feel like I am still several steps away from a good ergonomic setup. Does anyone have any advice on small adjustments that could make the best impact? Is anyone else experiencing similar challenges? I know deliveries are slow in a lot of areas, so are there things any of you have sourced from around the house that make your home office setup more comfortable and less of a strain? What's worked for you? 

Stay healthy out there,

Antonia

2 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 12, 2020

Boxes and books make great monitor risers.

Take the time to check how your set-up matches against guides like the one below or the more detailed version here.

temp.png

It is also important to remember this is not a once-off check. Throughout your workday, pause and check whether you have started leaning to one side, slouching, or otherwise made yourself "comfy" in a way that is not sustainable for long term health.

Like Antonia V. likes this
Antonia V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2020

Thank you Kat, this is really helpful!

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2020

Hi @Antonia V. 

I've had the same difficulties at times which usually results in chair hopping/rotation. In the end I've done a couple of simple things that just help ease the problems for me which starts with a good rectangular cushion that fits behind the curve of my back to keep me sat better and ends with a small foot rest/stool (thing) which means I'm not constantly crossed legged and uncomfortable. 

Also on working at a desk over a kitchen table also seems to make a difference due to the varying heights and chair heights.

Have a lovely day :)

Like Antonia V. likes this
Antonia V.
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2020

I think you're onto something with the small foot rest idea. I think I'll need to get one of these, since I cross my legs a lot too and can't seem to get comfortable

Antonia V.
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2020

Thank you for your tips!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events