Show us your remote work setup!

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 18, 2020

Hi Community! 

I hope everyone out there is staying safe, healthy, and productive. As many of you know or are finding out, when working remotely full time, it's crucial to create and optimize a workspace that is (probably) not your bed or your couch ;). 

So, we'd love to see a photo of your remote work setup - whether it be your two monitors on the kitchen table, cozy makeshift desk in a corner, or fancy-schmancy home office. Extra points for animals sitting on/near keyboards. Hopefully, we can all gain some inspiration and/or joy by sharing our new "corner office" digs. 

Heres' mine!

IMG_4467.jpg 

37 comments

Comment

Tanya C March 18, 2020

I can't actually work from home but I've been sent home none the less. #vacationtime  :(   I'm able to do some online training though and still get paid for that.  I'm not yet good at working from home.  I don't know what it's like to be on my home computer when it's daylight out.  

90344483_10219343684254382_5208280701241131008_o.jpg

Like # people like this
Tanya C March 18, 2020

The cat is here as too...  20200318_120808.jpg

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2020

Cats are the best help

Like Ahmed_hasan_Khan likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

I think the wine helps!!

We have a pug who likes sleeping on my feet during the day - I don't think I could cope with her being that close to my screen though.

Like John Funk likes this
Antonio Ferruz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2020

My brand new work space setup... for the following weeks  ... Groot and Rocket guide me :) 

Messy but productive & efficient

#Spain:  #YoMeQuedoEnCasa | #StaySafe | #RemoteWork 

IMG_20200316_203014.jpg

Like # people like this
scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2020

Here's my lovely work from home office.home.jpg

Like # people like this
Tanya C March 18, 2020

Damn!  You're a pro!

Like John Funk likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

Wow! That's a big monitor.

scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

@Davin Studer it's only 32 inches ultra wide screen...lol

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

That looks like an aquarium @scott_boisvert 🤪. I like your fancy monitor

Mussa Ibrahim June 17, 2020

I appreciate 

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2020

I'm very jealous of this!

Derrick Taylor David March 18, 2020

Image from iOS.jpg

Its not much, but its temporarily home. I really wish I had space for another screen. 

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

It's pretty dang good for a temporary home.

Like # people like this
Mussa Ibrahim June 17, 2020

Thats good one too

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

I have now been working from home for a grand total of 2 days. Not my favorite thing in the world, but here is my new setup. It's a pretty decent view though and at least I have a window now!

IMG_20200318_133847_small.jpg

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

I love it  @Davin Studer !

Like Bridget likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

Lovely spot

Like Bridget likes this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

The view is so nice

Like Bridget likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

Window office - woohoo!! :-D

Like Bridget likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

@LarryBrock  Yeah, I've had a frosted over skylight for the last 10 years so that part is certainly an improvement.

Like Bridget likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

Here's my home office...

IMG_4899.png

The Funko collection (Prince and Mr Rogers) is my wife's.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2020

I do wonder how long it will be before the people at home start complaining about work things encroaching on their space...I love the Funko's though

Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

IMG_20200315_175518.jpg

The temporary office in my "shed".  Need some bigger monitors to match those others ones in this thread, i feel inadequate. 

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

That is a nice layout there that looks comfy. Bigger monitors; yes. I went with a 32" 4k (they really aren't all that expensive) and love it.

Like Bridget likes this
Asik Ikbol March 28, 2020
So much I really want don't
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

ash_laptop.jpg

A few people may have already seen that I've delegated my work for now.

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

People can always tell when I do that. Quality of work goes up.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 19, 2020

Getting purrfect marks now, @Matt Doar ?

Like Matt Doar likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

I worked remotely for 6 yrs solid in previous life and sporadically in this one when I needed to get some serious concentration in. This is my environment:

NullPointerOffice-sm.jpeg

It's all fed by a VLAN'd and gatewayed Unifi network with dual ISPs. A nice comfy place to work.

Of those that might help, it could be any of these (seen here behind a tinted window having a hummingbird feeder on it with said hummingbird not realizing he is inches away from kitty death)

KittyDeath-sm.jpg

And they all do help, although the big black one spends rather more time asleep on the couch rather than helping

ToonCat-sm.jpgFishingCats-sm.jpgHelpingCat-sm.jpg

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2020

omg these kitties 😻

Like # people like this
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2020

Bird meal, followed by fish snack, by the looks of it.

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

There is a reason there is a brick on top of the tank cover. I was fortunate. I was nearby when I heard the crash of said cover hitting the floor pre-brick.

Like Hannah McKenzie likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 18, 2020

all the cats! cats own remote work(ers).

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

I've shared some of these already but why not again.  Here's my desk setup, it functions as both a work desk during the day and a gaming/streaming setup at night:

Desk.jpg

While I'm working during the day, I have a faithful companion that sleeps by my side on the couch behind me:

Tana.jpg

Our little one who was at daycare until recently seems to be adjusting well to being at home all day:

Cam.jpg

Our other dog is still determined to catch that rabbit he's been chasing around the yard all week:

Spirit1.jpgSpirit2.jpg

Like # people like this
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2020

Funnily enough, my daughter is in the exact same position. Enjoying too much Peppa Pig while Mummy works.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

My cats go outside for supervised visits in the back yard and are trained to go in when we tell them to. When I see them doing similar to your rabbit chaser, it's almost always a lizard. They often catch them.....

LizardCat.jpg

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 19, 2020

@Mike Rathwell I have 4 cats and one of them exclusively catches lizards and little snakes! How do I explain that I need her to focus on mice and voles?!?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

All of mine catch lizards, @Mandy Ross . In SoCal there are rather a lot of them running about on the regular, especially on sunny days. So far, they haven't turned up any mice in the back yard during their supervised outings.

Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

Screenshot 2020-03-18 18.34.12.pngGotta do it live! 

Like # people like this
Robert O'Farrell March 18, 2020

I've been working from home since the start of the week but this setup has been a WIP for a number of years.

IMG_4835.png

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

keyboard.jpgNice keyboard. I've been using Goldtouch "gull wings" for about 20 years now. Saved my wrists

Note the distracting chocolate box used as a monitor support

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

I almost went Ergodox for a split keyboard but I was afraid that transition between that and a "normal" keyboard would be tough. As it is, the 75 key ortholinear I have works great, not too hard to move back and forth from it to traditional. I get some split by putting my navigation keys in the middle. Please excuse the ugly keycaps until I get a nice set. These work. Since I will have to go largely custom, want to make sure I really like 'em. However a set of these with the required others is my current favorite.

xd75re.jpg

Like # people like this
Robert O'Farrell March 18, 2020

Yeah - I found myself getting wrist pain after long programming sessions.  I tried an Ergodox for a short period of time but just couldn't get used to the missing keys and layer based editing.  Settled on a UHK and haven't looked back.  I'm not sure how you use the Goldtouch for long periods without wrist wrests though!

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 18, 2020

I've been working remotely for most of the past 15 years. Right now I live on top of a hill at the end of a private road, so this whole "shelter in place" thing is basically my life anyway. My advice:

Lots of plants, cats and dogs in my office are essential to my well being as a remote worker. 

Also key:

• An essential oil diffuser
  • Spotify's Feel Good music playlists
  • A comfy ergonomic chair
  • Regular walks (dogs ensure this!)
  • An adjustable standing/sitting desk
  • Take a real lunch break instead of cramming food in your face while you work, even if just 20 min
  • Get dressed every day (pajamas don't count as dressed)
  • Talk to someone who doesn't live with you every day (not about work!)

IMG_1391.jpg

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

Tuxedo cats rule. Mine opens  doors. All the doors.

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

I love your office setting @Mandy Ross !

Like Mandy Ross likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 19, 2020

@Mike Rathwell Max (handsome tuxedo-clad gentleman above) has also figured out how to open anything without a latch, like cabinet or armoire doors. I keep finding all these secret nests he's created! 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

In my case, @Mandy Ross it includes those with latches. All the doors in the house have lever handles. He jumps up and opens them. I have had to add bathroom style locks to laundry room, closets, etc. to keep him out.

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 19, 2020

@Mike Rathwell those are some next level cat skills!!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

Here is mine

My Home Office.png

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

That looks very comfortable and peaceful

Like Fadoua likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
March 19, 2020

love the papasan chair! I think it's important to have somewhere to curl up if you need to read, or do deep thinking, or focused writing. 

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

Unfortunately who ever in my place wants to vent enjoys it which distracts me. You are totally right it is good for reading time @Mandy Ross 

Like Bridget likes this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

As an administrator of the Confluence Data Center,remote work has increased Confluence's usage, the second week of March ushered in more than 80,000 page views per day.

Now, I need to take a break^_^

微信图片_20200319115101.jpg

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

My "work" station looks pretty cozy at 6:30 AM. I needed to get a chair from the office because the main issue at home is staying comfortable while working. Now I’m actually enjoying it, reduced noise and meeting are just my type of things :)

I miss my fluffy Grumpy Cat, who is living on my office desk, so here is my "Grumpy Me" to cheer me up.

D65B842F-36AE-4EC3-BE0C-E3728AE9D582.jpeg

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

That looks very pleasant indeed. Too bad you don't have your grumpy cat, however. Perhaps you have the same freedoms as we do? After our office went "by choice" to WFH and then "it's closed", it still has at least one human there to allow access to go get stuff that might be wanted at home in case (when) this turns into a long haul remote.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2020

Yes, we do have the option to get what we want from the office after requesting access. With 27' monitor and a good chair nothing can go wrong (well except the wifi :D)

Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

Hi everybody.

This is great! In our company, we have the same "homeoffice challenge" :) 

With all that social distancing, it feels cool to see all the homes and brings us a little bit closer! 

Here is my workplace. In fact, it changes almost every day. Sometime i work from the balcony or from the living room :) 

IMG_4770-min.jpeg

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

This is my workplace at the moment. My Co-Worker's sleeping all the time :-)

IMG_5082.jpg

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

Love the veiw!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

Here is my remote work set-up... as viewed by my computer screen..... #TrueStory

depression-gif-tumblr.gif

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

#allthesadpandas

Like # people like this
Benjamin_Ruhe March 19, 2020

We've been confined to working from home. Here's my workspace. Sorry, not pets, just Hank the Office Tyrannosaurus with a message for everyone ;)

IMG_0021.JPG

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

Looks like a pleasant place to work

Like Benjamin_Ruhe likes this
Benjamin_Ruhe March 20, 2020

Thank you!

I should have brought my wireless keyboard and mouse from the office. I am not so pleased with the cable situation.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2020

Ah, Werder-Fan :-)

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2020

Best club ever :-)

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

Milo 3.jpgMoe.jpgIn the morning I work at the desk in the dining room my wife uses for her stuff. I go to my office after the family wakes up and comes downstairs. 

I learned that if I put a cat bed cover next to me they will settle on it and not attack my fingers while I'm typing. 

This is Moe, and you've seen Milo. 

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

I did basically the same thing with the cat bed... I have room behind my monitor (on an arm) and put a couple of cat beds behind it. Usually occupied when I am working and only occasional helped by a cat batting at the mouse pointer on the screen.

MonitorCats2.jpg

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
March 19, 2020

Working hard or hardly working! 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

They are very hard workers. In the middle of the night.

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

Well, it took several hours and two different computers plus an iPad to get this picture here but it's finally posted.

I've been working remotely in various quantities including sometimes (pager/off-hour support), part time, and full time for many years at my "day job".  Then there are the countless hours I've spent working on my own projects including various coin mining setups, a "rack of Pi's" micro-compute cluster, and a multitude of server install/configs for improving my craft. Oh, there also the household Plex server and network attached storage stashed underneath. 

IMG_1368.jpg

Setup:  54"x24" upper tabletop for monitors, desk toys, etc.  48"x24" lower sliding keyboard-height shelf for keyboards, mice/trackballs, papers, etc.  Like several others, I have a window nearby so I can see outside and enjoy the ambient light.  Said light played havoc with this photo. :slightly_smiling_face:

This configuration has served me well for ~20 years with only materials improvements along the way as we've upgraded flooring, furniture, etc. but the configuration has not changed.  The most recent addition is motorized legs to make it adjustable to stand-up height (thank you Praecipio Consulting wellness stipend :slightly_smiling_face: ) and the donation of one of the pair of 29" monitors to my younger daughter who finished her Masters degree and moved back in while looking for a job.  Thinking of replacing the monitors with a 46-55" curved screen UHD-TV - woohoo!!

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

I hope you find a way to get that image in there. That sounds stellar :P

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2020

Trying via ipad now.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2020

That spot looks great AND a window right beside you.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2020

My Setup:

setup.jpg

Had to improvise a little on monitor stands. Home phone on the wall, VPN phone to office on the desk. with a bluetooth headset connected to it. And the fidget spinner, for those long conference calls.

Did force me to clean up my desk. You should have seen it before.

Like # people like this
John Theofanopoulos March 21, 2020

Best investment of my life - spent $500 to buy a desk that has a mechanism to raise up/down.

IMG_20200321_142044.jpgIMG_20200321_142059.jpg

Like # people like this
Phuc H. March 22, 2020

Very nice, I will surely buy that table when have a chance

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2020

That is a very nice desk. Mine is shaped rather like that (which I like a lot) but doesn't have the fancy uppy downy legs.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2020

My temporary setup looks like this.

20200317_092157.jpg

This is, indeed, improvised. Most interesting fact is that for some special task a setup with two monitors (24" each) is absolutely useful!
The monitors are what I consider missing the most in the current situation by technically means.

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2020

One of the most minimalist zen-like workstations I have seen yet.

Phuc H. March 22, 2020

I'm a fully-remotely software engineer for more than a year now, this is my workplace from home, very messy haha :

e60b0d6d55adaef3f7bc.jpg

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2020

Very pleasant indeed... With the many that have been remote and add those that ARE remote that might decide they really like it, I wonder how hard it'll be to stuff that WFH genie back in the bottle.

Like Phuc H. likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events