New confluence user

Zulema Meares May 7, 2019

Hello,

My name is Zulema, and I am new using confluence and Jira software. I am not a software person and I find them not very intuitive to use.

what will be your recommendation to learn how to easily navigate in these two applications?

3 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2019

Hi @Zulema Meares, you have come to a great place to ask for help.

For Jira, you can check out Atlassian's Free Jira Tutorials for Users.

There are two free training courses available at the bottom of this page.

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. Let us know how you get on. :)

James Bullock May 10, 2019

Hi Zulima,

Well, I haven't figured out (?yet?) how to link directly to a comment under a community discussion, so find me in the comments at the links. Similar "What it's for?" here. Some adoption tricks here. "That's a good start" here.  There's also a good, nerd-y article about what Confluence is, here. I have a similar draft intro for non-techies, if you want to ping me.

Net:

• Confluence is a place to collect facts in a single source of truth. The basic thing is a "page" -- think of a page as a "fact", or maybe a flash-card -- which you can give a name, link to other facts, search, and so on.
    • Log in, hit "create" and you're making a page. All the other hooks and features are about page-wrangling. Like if you your default landing page (Hit "Confluence") you'll get a list of the *pages* you've touched recently.
  • Jira is a place for chunks of work going through some steps. If you have a lot of chunks, need to know where each thing is along the way, and so on, that's what Jira's for. Collect the cunks of work as items in Jira. Automatically, you get the mostt basic workflow: backlog, in progress, done.

For either one, don't so much look at the tool. Find something you're doing that's being a pain to keep organized. Then,

• "Hey this is a bunch of facts. Maybe I can put them in Confluence, and that'll go easier."
  • or "Hey this is a bunch of tasks n steps..."

Hope this helps.

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2019

I think I figured out how to link to comments. If you click on ... to the right of the comment, and then hover over Edit, you will see the message ID in the URL. Add that message ID to the end of the main discussion/question URL after #. I think that will give you a link directly to the comment.

An example for this one is: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Off-topic-discussions/New-confluence-user/td-p/1076903#4391

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 5.57.09 PM.png

Like Kat Warner likes this
James Bullock June 21, 2019

Thanks @carolyn french That seems likely. I'll give it a try. Now to get "..." to show up consistently with comments. (I run some browser-side protections that work fine, then don't as things change.)

(Protecting yourself from malicious web app hackery will also disrupt non-malicious, complex web apps: they use the same technologies n techniques. And it's gonna change, as each is in its own arms race: the bad guys vs security folks, and smart apps vs. every other app, competing for awesomeness.)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2019

Welcome to the community @Zulema Meares !

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events