Miscellaneous Monday - or is it midterm Monday?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2018

Writer's note: this is a largely US-centric post (sorry friends in other places) Please read to the bottom though, because I want to hear about YOUR experiences with voting!

The midterms are upon us for a large portion of the United States. And while we tend to see more voters turn out during presidential elections, local elections arguably play a more pivotal role in our lives. 

I don't want to focus too much on the literal elephant in the room.

6262125642_ab5ab01f2b_b   However!

I DO want to take today to encourage folks, no matter your political affiliation, to get out to your nearest polling place and vote. 

I think my generation is fighting a battle with complacency. Right at this moment you may think that there's no way that we can affect change on the world. You're dead wrong. If you fall for the rhetoric that your vote doesn't matter - you've already lost. 

1. Voting is FAST

I sat down with my husband on Friday evening and we went through all of our local propositions - covering everything from water conservation to whether or not our state should consider doing away with daylight savings time. All told - it cost us about an hour. Time well-spent in my opinion and ensures that I am participating in a process that will leave my children (hopefully) a better world.

2. Voting in most places is taken as paid time off

Visit https://aflcio.org/2016/11/5/know-your-rights-state-laws-employee-time-vote to research individual laws in your area 

3. Bragging rights

Maybe there aren't as many bragging rights as I'm leading you to believe, but don't I look cool with my fancy sticker? 

I voted.png

Please share your I Voted selfies below and give me your thoughts and reflections on the political process in your region! Have your experiences been positive? Do you feel like you can make an impact on a local or national level?

8 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

Perfect MM for this week @Meg Holbrook

Here in Texas I'm thrilled to report that voters are turning out in record numbers. I don't care who you vote for (well maybe a little ;-)), just that you indeed vote.

As I was out of town for an extended vacation I had the opportunity to vote on absentee ballot very early and didn't waste anytime doing so. The importance is too great.

IMG_3149.JPG

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2018

Yeahhhhhh @Jack Brickey!!! Nice poster ^_^ 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018
Like Meg Holbrook likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

I'm wearing the same t-shirt today! @Jack Brickey 

Also, did absentee voting :)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 5, 2018

I understand why some people feel like voting in ineffectual so don't make the effort to vote.

When it comes to national elections I think of all the people in the world who want to vote and are prevented from doing so, all those in the past who never had a voice/vote, and those that fought and fight for their right and the right of others to participate in democratic elections.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

@Kat Warner I think this was incredibly well-stated. Definitely do not want people to take for granted the rights they have!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 5, 2018

I think this belongs here :)

Monday.jpg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

haaaahaaaa @Kat Warner - My motto today will be that I'm a magnificent potato. 

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
November 5, 2018

Potatoes are awesome especially the couch variety :P I'm much more at home where it is dark and dry than with my face pointed towards the sun.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

Agreed, I'll keep my ghastly complexion. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

This whole thread makes my heart happy! Will be sure to share my photo tomorrow.

I texted my mom this morning: "Will you be voting tomorrow, ma'am?" Her response was: "Still debating that one. Just don't know enough about all of them. I might do more harm than good." So we dug in. I started talking to friends who live in Michigan for their two cents on the candidates and proposals, sent Mom to her ballot information page, and reviewed with her some key takeaways from voter guides.

Halfway through, I got a, "AND she's a woman! That's why she gets things done," so I knew we were making progress. By the end, I got a, "I'll vote!" and a commitment to send me her "I Voted" selfie. 🇺🇸

Persistence and education are key. I'm cautiously optimistic about tomorrow!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Erica Moss - I'm saving a giant hug for you, you wonderful human. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Update.

voting mom.pngvoting.png

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Erica Moss NYC Voting stickers are superior to Sacramento's. 

Look at your mom!!!! Yaaaay!!!!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Our sticker game is on-point. 😎

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

I'll post my "I voted" selfie tonight, after I vote...It's a voting day tradition for my wife and I to walk down to the polls after dinner. But for now....If you or someone you know didn't vote in 2016 for whatever reason but especially because you thought your vote wouldn't have an impact you should read this:

http://fortune.com/2018/08/09/nonvoters-trump-presidency-pew-study/

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Scott Theus - it's more important than ever for neighbors to bolster up neighbors. This is why canvassing simply cannot be replaced. 

I was reading an article last night about how technology has intersected with politics to work past voter suppression laws. It's a bit long, but an excellent read.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2018

It's totally unusual in Germany to have something like an "I voted" - sticker. I've never seen something like this. Maybe it is, because you don't have to registrate yourself for voting. When there are elections, you automatically get a postcard a few weeks before, your "license to vote". Maybe it is more "a matter of course" to vote. 

But it also depends on the kind of elections. At the elections for the "Bundestag" (German Parliament), about 80% of all people go voting, but there are also other elections with 45 - 50%, e.g. the European elections. People consider them less important, a big fault, I think.  

But yes, of course, it is important to get heard, at least with your vote.   

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel - I think that 80% voter turnout would be an amazing feat here in the US, so that's very impressive. 

There has been a big push to structure voter registration as an 'opt out' instead of the current 'opt in' but there is also an overwhelming amount of voter suppression occurring. 

Deleted user November 7, 2018

I missed this thread earlier this week.  Michigan laws don't provide time off work for voting, so I came in early and took an abbreviated lunch in order to leave early enough to miss rush hour traffic and a long line at the polls.

From what the news reported, the turnout for yesterday's midterm election was the strongest in decades.  It appears we had close to 50% of registered voters took the time to have a say in our government.  Considering we rarely have more than 30% for a non-presidential election, that's a great improvement. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2018

Great job @[deleted]!! I'm so excited to hear that people are participating this year all over the country. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2018

Got my sticker!

IMG_6189.jpg

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events