Miscellaneous Monday - Your favourite computer game of ALL TIME?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Easter is cancelled!

This week was supposed to be my turn for [Meg's] Miscellaneous Monday on Community and I well and truly f'd it up...

After spending most of the week last week planning for an awesome Easter related one 💐🐰🥚🐣 I ended up having SUCH an amazingly chilled out 3 day weekend that I completely forgot to log on and post it. LOLz 😅😂

So, here I am on Weds afternoon 14:00 CEST thinking "damn it.. that sucks... I shouldn't have spent so much time playing computer games with the kids" but then I realised:
1) That is what I luuuuuuuurv doing 💙🤖🎮, and
2) what a fantastically super-miscellaneous question for everyone on Community. So this week let's get some uber-debating going on the GOAT:

timmy-turner-2.gif

Computer game addiction is not a crime

Right now my daughter (5) is addicted to Super Mario Bros Wii, whilst my son (3, and who needs a lot of help) loves Rayman Raving Rabids. Both of them love Mariokart DS and Super Mario DS.

They are both equally addicted to but totally suck at Mario Odyssey. One day Animal Crossing will arrive and addiction levels are sure to skyrocket.

MarioOdyssey.gif

I myself am a massive Nintendo freak and plenty of GameWatch, Gameboy, DS, NES, SNES, GameCube, N64, Wii, WiiU and now Switch games have captivated my heart over the years but one game series in particular saw me rack up countless HOURS in playtime: Splintercell on the XBox, Wii and PSP!

splintercell.gif

That said; despite having owned and completed every edition possible of the Splintercell series (like seriously everything unlocked 100%), there is one outstanding game that i consider my absolute favourite, and despite being super old and running on an old console, it has to be House of the Dead: Overkill (and on the Wii!) To this day, not only have I probably racked up years in game time, not only do I still play it just for kicks because I love it sooooo much, but there is one challenge that I have STILL not unlocked.... hahahaha!!! Unbelievable. 
[To unlock it requires a lot of failure and learning and then redoing the game over and over until the right strategy has been performed step-by-step (oooooh baby!], a strategy for which I have no patience!]
And I don't just have one copy... I have THREE! LOL. I also have two magnum handguns and two shotguns... all four a special limited edition version that go with the game. Ultra Addicted Uber Nerd! 

HOTD_Overkill.jpgPersuasion.gif

So that's me and my family... now over to you:

What is your most favourite computer game of ALL TIME??

12 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

Fantastic post @Andy - PTC Redundant!

I recently acquired "Animal Crossings: New Horizons" for the Switch and my 2 year old son loves watching that, as well as "Paw Patrol: On a Roll".

Best of all time is a tough one for me, I really love games so picking that one above all the others is a challenge.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I extremely fond of RPG games and anything made by Blizzard Entertainment.

If I had to pick just one, I think I'd have to go with the game I spent so much time playing in High School, both by myself and online with friends:

Diablo_II_Coverart.png

Even after Diablo 3 came out, there have been plenty of occasions where I will have a "once a year lan party" with friends and Diablo 2 always makes an appearance.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Nice one @Jimmy Seddon ! I can't wait to play Animal Crossing. Looking like such a great game.

I know indeed that you are fond of Blizzard Entertainment so this is not too surprising although if I had to have guessed it would have been D3, so this is some what of a pleasant surprise!! 😀

I obviously prefer war-based games over fantasy... as my Blizzard-E fav is the CoD line!

That makes me think of the time i loved it when I got to mix up fantasy with war..... Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (on the PSOne). Man, that was FUN!! Dumb... but really fun!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

When it comes to war-based games, I actually prefer the strategy side of things.  On that my father and I played together a lot was:

708-command-conquer-red-alert-dos-front-cover.jpg

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Ah man.... C&C Red Alert. SOOOOOOO gooood!!!!! 👏🌟🎮

Patrick April 16, 2020

These games are classics, I love them! Though Diablo II came out three years after I got born, I remember playing instead a lot of Nox when I was younger. Looks very similar to Diablo, but it was so much more fun in my opinion. Spawning wild animals to help you as a ranger, or being a wizard with crazy fire spells was so cool.

220px-Nox_%28video_game_-_box_art%29

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Welcome to the FUN @Patrick : so awesome to see you here! #PTCGamerLife 🤩
That is a cool share. Another game I have not played myself. The list is growing by the day!

Like Patrick likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

I was so addicted to Diablo II!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2020

So many to choose from, but it has to be (by a gnat's whisker) Sam and Max hit the road. - I'm a lagomorph, not a malefactor!

The others that almost got it were LeChuck's Revenge  (That was the first point and click that worked for me - exactly the right level of difficulty and humour) and Day of the Tentacle (which would have first place if it had been a bit longer)

Obviously, I'm talking about these games when they first came out, not the remastered or remade versions.

Right, I'm off to dig out some old CDs and SCUMMVM

Oh, I also wanted to mention the first Deus Ex for giving us our own way to get through scenarios, Dune 2 for ruining all following RTS games, Master Of Orion 2, Master of Magic, Chaos, Creeperworld, Skyrim, and the current favourite, Pistol Whip (but you have to pronounce it the way Stewie Griffin would)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Boy oh boy!! Monnkey Island! I remember when LeChuck's Revenge trial version was offered as a free CD with a magazine and my school went wild!! Hahaha!
Some excellent games here @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ! Epic.

You sharing all those Steam links has made me think of Little Big Adventure 1 and 2... another game series I lost so much time on.
Really awesome games!

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Super Mario vs Tetris

Not sure which one I like most.

I also used to like GTA, Ghost Recon, Battlefield, etc but those were college days :-)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Nice one @DPKJ !

If we're talking Super Mario Land on the gameboy, I'd have to say Tetris.
If it is NES then I would go Super Mario. 
And if we're talking Super Mario 3 on the NES, then my choice would be that one!

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2020

You are pulling me in hole :-) countless hours of gaming is coming back to me.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

I haven't played something recently, but few games will always have a special place in my heart. Half-Life, Quake (mostly Quake III Arena) and the One-and-Only:

MKheader.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Brilliant @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ !!

One of the best games of all time with one of the greatest music styles of all time.

Also it's one of the WORST game-movie remakes of all time that just happens to have the BEST movie OST of all time. Hahaha!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDww1S1GLvE

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Haha exactly! We made an Office Movie Night around Christmas and watch the Mortal Kombat movie. 

Almost died laughing, such a classic (both great and terrible!)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

I'll give you the first one... it was one of those that was bad but it was still funny because it was bad.  The second one was just sad and pathetic and not worth watching:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

People: "It's Christmas, shall we watch 'Miracle on 34th Street'?"
Grumpy: "Hell no! Let's watch MORTAAAAAAAL KOMBAT!!!!"

😂🤣

Yeah, the 2nd movie was just bad beyond belief... terrible. Cannot believe they made it.

I'm intrigued to see if Mortal Kombat 2021 gets off the ground. It deserves a proper production.
Sadly, this is the only thing I have ever seen that comes close to what I dream about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGnVhqhmip8 
But then the actual movie Legacy finally came out and it was SUCH a anti-climax!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2020

I watched this yesterday, and I should say - very VERY good! It was better than most of the movies I watched in the past months.

I should say, the only successful attempt in the Mortal Kombat Universe

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9580138/?ref_=ttmi_tt

Vlad Spiridonescu April 16, 2020

I played Football Manager like crazy in my high school times, probably most played computer game of all times for me. Super boring game now but I don't regret spending time in those periods. Now I'm into Minecraft...whoop whoop

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

I remember an old mate of mine used to be epically addicted to one of those football games... can't remmeber which one.
He used to send us screenshots all of the time of those "take a break messages"

One once said, you've been playing over two weeks 🤯 (it was the summer holidays)

Mattijs April 16, 2020

There are far too many good games to count, it's no surprise I've been addicted many times. But if only considering recent (single purchase) games, if you're the type of person that likes to have their patience and skill rewarded properly, there's a few that are just too good to pass up and play well in short bursts:

Outer wilds - Here's a game that does exploration right, it's not like any other game I know of.

Celeste - The fairest difficult platformer I know of, with a good story to boot.

Risk of Rain 2 - This game is insane, pure action heavy power fantasy. (Early access now, but it's basically only missing the final boss) 

Or if you hate having free time, you can always play Minecraft or Factorio.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Fantastic! What an awesome list @Mattijs . I've never even heard of these but Outer Wilds looks bloody epic. Great share! 🏆🌟👏

Patrick April 16, 2020

Too many games to think about... Looking at my Steam page:

I'm still super into Age of Empires II, an all time classic. It's so much fun, still today. Can you imagine that there are almost 30,000 players, each day, still playing this game?

Both Civilization V and VI are also very fun, I started playing the turn-based strategy games back with Lords of Magic.

Running around from zombies, or players, is also very tense and interesting with DayZ (not talking about the horrendous development of that game...) and Project Zomboid.

Playing Hide and Seek or Prop Hunt in Garry's Mod with friends is also very fun, especially now with the pandemic. Being able to call people and play games while you talk about your week is so much nicer then having a boring video call imo.

It's funny that my first real game that I played as a game called Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood. The gameplay was very interesting and all text was also spoken with a very British English voice. I learned a lot of English from that game when I was 8 years old. Another game I played, and still do, was Stronghold Crusader. Building your own castle, managing and economy and destroying other people's castles was a very nice twist of the RTS's.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

That is such an awesome screenshot @Patrick !! 
I love that you learnt a lot of English from playing a game!

I had the same with German and Castle Wolfenstein, although shouting "Achtung! Granate! Ich bin erschossen" didn't really stimulate my school grades 😉

Like Patrick likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

Not much of a gamer and never have been.  Fun for me is doing something like building the smallest static linux kernel I can for a given computer and have it still run.  (Nothing like omitting the hard disk driver to make it fun to get things working again. :-P )

There's also nothing like having physical objects as the outcome of my time spent. :-)

IMG_1453.JPG

Rebuilt the kitchen island to include a wine-rack.  Winning the game was maxing out the capacity with at least some organization. :-D

I have had, though, a tremendous amount of fun with the original Wii Tank Battle game where two opponents face off against each other and the Wii console itself.  I always played it teaming up with each of my daughters against "the evil computer guy". :-P

I felt this taught them the value of teamwork and more importantly kept it light because Dad didn't crush them every time - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

"Modern problems require modern solutions" !

@LarryBrock : Hot damn Larry The Legend... you are winning the game of LIFE! I love that kitchen island! I have always wanted one.

Tank on the Wii is seriously awesome, seriously addictive and indeed is a great lesson in value of teamwork.
The furthest I ever got in it was not solo but with my missus. Never seen our communication and collaboration be so perfect!

Like LarryBrock likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

@LarryBrock the island looks amazing. My DIY skills are lacking

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

Thank you @Andy - PTC Redundant and @Danny !  It was a lot of work but a lot of fun.  The real challenge was getting the stain on the extension to match the 25yr old color on the rest of the cabinet.  :-P

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Ok it's friday, but as @Andy - PTC Redundant started on Wednesday such an awesome topic I have to join in... 🕹🎮

But wow the longer I think about the harder it gets. Starting in my childhood with Amiga 500 with Turrican 

Amiga Longplay Turrican II GIF | Gfycat

I came in my Nintendo obsession Game Boy, Game Boy Color, DS, NES, Super NES, Wii U, Switch.... Love all Super Mario Jump and Runs ❤️No Idea how many hours I spent together with my mum to get 100% percent in Super Mario World 

Mario GIF - SuperMarioBros Mario Evolution - Discover & Share GIFs

Let's not forget the other consoles like PS, PSP, PS2, XBox where my wife and her brother played uncountable hours of racing games on - like in real life that's not where I'm bestie 😅My best thing was Burnout series where you had to create maximum crashes 

Burnout Revenge Crash on Make a GIF

During my apprenticeship when we had a really long day in the advertisement agency we played a LAN Party Unreal Tournament - this is where I found my love for Ego Shooters (but to be true, it's only working on PC) 

Best Unreal Tournament 2004 Review GIFs | Gfycat

I'm better with Mario Kart. We had a tournament at work last december where we had pizza, beer and 6 screens  with different Mario Karts - it was awesome! 

Bringing Wii U GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Also love fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter which I started as a child with my cousin on Arcade (while my Dad and Uncle where playing Squash) 😇😝

As always - I'm unable to make a decision... I think it depends on your mood, what you wanna do at this moment, whom are you with and so on. 

But as Andy said Computer game addiction is not a crime 

Keep on gaming everyone!!!

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

Love it @Fabienne Gerhard ! This is a great showcase of evolution! Brilliant GIFs!

Loving the company competitions! That is awesome.
In my opinion there are two ultimate multiplayer games that are perfect for parties: Mariokart (any platform, any version) and Goldeneye (N64, obvs!!)

For the Arcade it would definitely have to be Street Fighter for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(video_game)
Back in the late 80s there was a swimming pool I did my lessons at that had one. Credits were only 10p back then. So awesome!!
Obviously everyone recalls Street Fighter II more, especially on the SNES, but this one holds a place in my heart!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

We should probably start a Mario Kart challenge here in Community (cause we have no idea how long this all will take us) 🚗👑🏆🎖 N64 is the only Nintendo I never had - seems like something i have to look for. Played Goldeneye only as Single Player on Gamecube and I was really, really bad...

Street Fighter on Arcade - my love ❤❤

This swimming pool reminds me of the squash center and the pences it only costed back then. I wish there were more Arcade centers left 😪 (it feels there are only some of them in the Netherlands when you look for them in Europe). 

Which one was your favorite player in Street Fighter II? (on SNES or next generation Arcade) Mine were Guile and Blanka because I was able doing their special moves and was able to defeat my cousin 😅

VqpxPu

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 17, 2020

My favorite of all time has to be The Sims. I even used to have a Sims blog where I would chronicle the stories of the Sims. For example here is a screenshot of episode 12 in which my main Sim character, Moey, falls in love with Darth Vader. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.23.56 PM.png

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 17, 2020

Other games I have loved:

• Glitch (almost tied for my all-time favorite... might even be my favorite now that I think of it... RIP Glitch)
  • King's Quest II
  • Diablo II
  • Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (a turn-based fighting game, I loved the mechanics and theme of this)
  • Many other Sim games: Roller Coaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, even weirdly Sim Tower
  • Lemmings
  • Lego Harry Potter
  • Rock Band
Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

@Monique vdB - I remember LOTR: The Third Age, I loved that one as well!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 17, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon I thought it was just me! Do you know any other games with the same mechanic? Like turn-based fighting? I think Final Fantasy does that but I'm less interested in that theme... 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2020

Hey @Monique vdB,

The category you are looking for is "Turn-based RPG" yes Final Fantasy is the most popular in this category, and I love all of those games as well.

For the Nintendo Switch, once of my most recent favorites in this style (which is also made by the same people who did the Final Fantasy games) is Octopath Traveler, which is also available on Steam.

81YFQcwoM1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 20, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon omg that looks GREAT. I have been thinking about getting a Switch and this may be the thing that pushes me over the edge... thank you!  

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

Epic list @Monique vdB ! I loved the Sims when it first came out. Seems like donkeys ages ago! 
I remember how I used to get frustrated with the game play and just type rosebud hundreds of times for a million Simoleans 🤑💸💰

@Jimmy Seddon : never heard of Octopath Traveler... looks good! Found a really really nice and totally awesome review by IGN if others are interested!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkKmKy0YIJ0&t=68s

and check it out....! It's a GIF of SocialJimmy pushing QueenMo over the edge! 😉😉
penguin_animated_push_over.gif

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 23, 2020

It worked, the turquoise one is arriving on Tuesday....

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2020

Unfortunately I am going to be that person and say I do not have an all time favourite though i do miss the original Stronghold, had such a great campaign. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Nothing wrong with not being able to identify an all-time favourite.

Ask a vegetarian what their favourite protein source is.  Weekly.  Because it is not really something we think that much about and it varies a lot.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

Nice one @Danny ! We always need that person, so now we have you! 😃🌟
(Just like Nic said!)

I'm not Vegan but I enjoy a great plant-induced diet.
My favourite sources of protein are Chia Seeds, Oats/Oatmeal, Chickpeas, nuts and a mixed variety of veggies: broccoli, spinach, asparagus, artichokes, potatoes, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts (mann! I love me some sprouts!)

Spurots.gif

Like Danny likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

I have played ALOT of of games that it would be too difficult to differentiate. FYI @Andy - PTC Redundant I would happily donate all my sprouts to you! :D 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- the same can be said for me and meat-based protein. :D 

giphy

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

Oh man - tomahawk ribeye?  Those are the bomb when done right!! ( /me now goes in search of food.)

Alena June 19, 2020

Heroes® of Might & Magic® III

Unfortunately I cannot play it on MacBook :(

ss_548367faf1cfa549c88585cb9b01f13b05b05ab7.600x338.jpg

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events