Miscellaneous Monday - Your favourite Olympic moment(s)!? #Tokyo2020

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

Anti-climax... an Olympic-sized hangover!

Waking up this morning was strange! After 16 full days of waking around 5am to watch the world's elite sport stars "kick the sh^^" out of each other over and over again - whether it was live, or I was catching up on missed viewings - I woke this morning to.... nothing.

I've followed it all, I've read it all; I've consumed as much Olympic sports digesting as humanly possible and now it is all over (even Atlassian Community's very own #ATLYMPICS is winding down... 😿); so, as we sign off from another epic global phenomenon, it's time to do one final reflection on the Tokyo 2020:

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE OLYMPIC MOMENT(S) OF TOKYO 2020?

Tokyo2020.jpg

6 comments

Comment

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

For me, it is so hard to choose from all the insane epicness that happened in Tokyo: I watched nearly every minute of both the Archery and Waterpolo and the comradery of Italy & Qatar's high jumpers sharing gold because they're mates was a tear jerker....

But I'd have to say the main highlight was watching Holland's historic decimation of RSA in the women's waterpolo!!!

🤽‍♀️💔

Being Dutch, it was very cool to watch this match with my 7yr old daughter as she loves swimming and was so intrigued by the match, asking constant questions about it; and with that sport being such a massive part of my life (over 15 years in & out swimming pools constantly, left with serious physical scars!) it was great to provide an answer for every single last question!!

Waterpolo.jpg

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

And if any one is in need of a serious round up of the Olympics, looking at both the positives and the negatives... look no further than the good ol' BBC....!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/58131750

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

I'm a big believer in sport and I'm always excited to watch high-performing individuals in various sports.

My favorite moment is probably overlapping with a few million other Bulgarians - 3 gold medals achieved by our young athletes! Bulgarian Gymnastics team has its first Olympic gold medal for its entire history of performance 😍

Only 21 years old, Ivet Goranova won the Karate gold medal for the Women's 55 kg event.  Such an amazing win! 

Being highly involved in sport activities myself, I am truly inspired by these memorable moments!

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

The BUlgarian Women's Rhytmic Gymnastics was just... wait for it... "floorless". 😂
They were so GOOD and truly deserved Gold! 🥇💐👏

Well done to Bulgaria @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ 😊 (and also all three golds won by women! #GirlPower 💪)

It is great to see you so inspired!!! Hoping we get to do some serious training together in Vegas next year!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Always ready for a partner session! 💪

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

Urrah!! Game on 💪🌟🏆

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

My highlights:

• I've never seen folks play badminton so fiercely.
  • Watching the marathon was pleasant for me, as a (former? ha) runner.
  • Men's diving makes me feel super inadequate in all the ways. 😂
Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

YEET!!! I hear you on the Men's Diving Dave. What a bunch of beasts. Just how on earth do their muscles look like that??? 😲🤯

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

They must not eat as well as us - I know we've got abs too, but they're just hidden.

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

My highlights:

• Yulimar Rojas winning women's triple jump, the world record was set as her final jump in the final round
  • "Can we have two golds?" High jumpers Mutaz Essa Barshim and Gianmarco Tamberi sharing the title
  • Czech judoka Lukáš Krpálek winning second gold after moving up in weight class - he was born in the same city as me, so I have a soft spot for him :-)
Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

What a fabulous list Hana!

I was watching the triple jump as it happened... it was INCREDIBLE! Took the breath away. What an amazing athlete!!

That is so cool that you and Krpálek are from the same city 😀👍

Like # people like this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2021

I love unexpected turn arounds. Jakob Schuberts bouldering score was fifth in the group of seven. He was the very last to go in the lead event — and he was the only one to make it all the way to the top. This got him on the podium and he left Olympia with a bronze medal.

I am really excited that climbing was part of the Olympic games, and I really hope they continue to have it as an Olympic sport.

Jakob-Schubert-an-den-Olympischen-Sommerspielen-in-Tokio_Sportklettern.jpg

© Picture was taken by: Dimitris Tosidis

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

What an awesome moment ! ! Sounds like you yourself are into climbing Svenja?? 😀

Let's hope it continues as a sport to upcoming Olympics

Loads of sports are trying to get onto the biggest sports stage of the world... with cricket and netball being so huge in Australia, both sports are hoping to finally make an appearance at Brisbane 2028 !

Herewith a fun but very educational read on Aussie sports:
www.abc.net.au/news/just-for-fun-sports-aussies-want-in-the-2032-brisbane-olympics 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

Great topic @Fun Man Andy!

I'm not going to lie, the gamer in me was really excited when they were playing the "Olympic Coliseum" theme from the Kingdom Hearts video game franchise during the opening ceremonies.

I will admit that I didn't watch as much as I would have liked to, but I did enjoy watching the Softball, Football (Soccer) & some of the gymnastics.

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

Doesn't matter how much you watched, as long as you enjoyed it, which you did. YEY!

And there was no curling... it's understandable you didn't watch much this Summer Jimmy 😜

Crazy to think though that we are now only a few months away from the Winter Olympics. EEK!!!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events